Showing 1-20 of 20 items found in Arts & Culture
The B. Harley Bradley House Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1900 The B. Harley Bradley House in Kankakee, Illinois, is widely acknowledged as Wright's first Prairie Style design. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places individually and as part of the Riverview Historic District. Following an extensive restoration, the Bradley House now enjoys the opportunity to be appreciated by architecture fans from around the world. This Prairie Style house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright along with its neighboring home. The houses are acknowledged by the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy as Wright's first house designs that ushered in Wright's Prairie Style. The B. Harley Bradley House is open for 1 hour tours.
The Kankakee County Museum is the home of the Kankakee County Historical Society. Founded in 1906, it is the oldest incorporated local historical society in Illinois. The Main Museum Building contains seven permanent and temporary exhibit galleries, the Museum Store, the Museum's Archival Research Library, the Museum's offices, and support facilities. The Museum Complex also encompasses the historic 1855 Dr. A. L. Small House, the 1904 Taylor One-Room Schoolhouse, Column Garden and Outdoor Exhibit Area. The museum boasts more than 85,000 artifacts in addition to 20,000 still images in the photo collection.
This historical site features a one-room schoolhouse and historical artifacts contained in an adjacent brick building. Learn about area strip mines that date back to the 1900's. This Kankakee museum is open by appointment and during special events.
For an enjoyable leisurely drive through the scenic countryside; come to Kankakee County and do the barn quilt tour. Throughout the county mounted on historic barns or corncribs are 8 by 8 foot painted wood blocks with a colorful quilted pattern. Each Barn Quilt shares a unique story of growth, celebration, toil and tradition. For more information please call 800-747-4837 or log on to www.VisitKankakeeCounty.com
An uptight businessman who is desperately trying to get home for Thanksgiving finds himself partnered with an easy going shower ring salesman who is on a journey of his own. The film was shot extensively in the Chicago suburbs. One of the most memorable scenes takes place when the two are forced to share a room at the Braidwood Inn (now the Sun Motel) in suburban Braidwood.
See large operating model train displays and railroad memorabilia within Kankakee's restored train depot. The museum also features a scale model replicating the city of Kankakee during the 1950's. A restored rail car and trolley can be rented for special events.
The Letourneau Home Museum is the one time home of George R. Letourneau. A contemporary of Abraham Lincoln, George R. Letourneau was the only person to have had the distinction of having been village president and mayor of the city of Kankakee. Today the Letourneau home is a museum that contains many artifacts and is maintained by the Bourbonnais Grove Historical Society. The museum is open on the third Sunday of each month (except January, February and holidays). Call (815) 933-6452 for cancellations or further announcements.
The Mar Theatre opened for business on June 15th 1937, and today much of the original stage and decorative ceiling are intact. The lobby and ticket booth area are in the original configuration. Much of the original architectural hardware and lighting fixtures are still in use. The original auditorium comfortably seats 300 moviegoers and a new second auditorium accommodates 64 patrons. Outside the original marquee is still used to inform moviegoers of the current movies.
A hands-on exploration and discovery museum for children and their families. Tuesday & Thursday are donation afternoons, where after 2 p.m. a suggested donation of $1.00 per person is requested.
Originally called the Mount Airy School, the Little Red Schoolhouse was moved to its present location in 1983. This 1850's school house has been restored and contains period memorabilia and artifacts. (Circa 1853). Open by appointment only.
The restored railroad depot, designed by Henry Ives Cobb, is now the home of the Dwight Historical Society and is still an operating Amtrak train station.
Check out this pioneer cabin that gives a glimpse of Illinois' earliest settlers' way of life on the frontier. It is located in a majestic park setting along the Kankakee River.
Here you can explore the French involvement in the history of the Kankakee River Valley-the first explorers and missionaries; the coureurs de bois and fur traders and the pioneer settlers from France, French Canada, and Belgium.
This mural honors the late Fey Orr, a prominent local businessman and philanthropist. The mural is painted on the Chebanse Grain & Lumber Co. building, and depicts the people and lifestyle of Beaverville.
Witness the history of the universe from its fiery birth to the formation of our own solar system on a state-of-the-art digital projector that gives a multimedia and full-dome show. Open year round, there are several shows scheduled during the week.
Built in 1857, this church is a fine example of Carpenter Gothic Architecture. Pointed arched windows and doors as well as board and batten frame construction characterize this style. King Edward VII worshipped at the church in 1860, while on a hunting expedition in the area. The church was named as one of the “150 Architectural Treasures” in the State of Illinois by the Association of Illinois Architects in 2007, and is listed on the National Historic Register.
This not-for-profit Gallery acts as an advocate for local and visiting artists from a variety of genres. It also offers an opportunity to people of all ages to learn about and appreciate the visual arts through our exhibits, tours, workshops, and programs offered. The Gallery is uniquely located with Provena Heritage Village senior facility, and continues to enrich the daily lives of the residents here. Admission into the gallery is free and donations are accepted.
The Manteno Historical Society Museum is headquartered in the Charles Skinner House, located in the center of Manteno. The opening of the Skinner House as a Museum took place in 1994. The first floor of the building has display areas of early 20th century living in the area. Of special interest is the medical display of items from the offices of Dr. Rouleau, Dr. Phipps, Dr. Malott, Dr. Thomas and Dr. Echevarria. Articles from Dr. Gagnon's dental office and pharmaceutical items from Hilsenhoff Drug Store have also been donated. The lower floor includes exhibit space, a kitchen and collections of archival materials. The upper floor presently houses a room commemorating Manteno war veterans featuring uniforms and memorabilia from WWI to the present.
Famed architecht Frank Lloyd Wright designed and engineered this bank in 1905, and it is the only one of his three designed banks still standing.
The original 1893 schoolhouse displays hundreds of original artifacts depicting immigrant turn-of-the-century life of families, businesses, and coal mines. Original items include the jailhouse iron doors, soccer trophies and bocce balls, coal mining tools, furniture and household items, old store supplies, Illinois coal reports, maps and plats, and plenty of family memories; there is something to interest everyone.