Showing 1-24 of 64 items found in Arts & Culture
Anchored by items gifted by Col. Edd & Violet Kueker, this collection represents the settlement of the West, numerous U.S. wars and early transportation. There is even a display of items from the Stone Age retrieved during a local archaeological dig. Changing displays and Special Exhibits from the Museum collection and "on loan" items provide awesome journeys through the pages of history.
Built in 1830, this is the only stagecoach stop still intact along the 60-mile Kaskaskia-Cahokia trail.
A Lionel train set shares space with a Li'l Abner Dogpatch Band windup toy and British toy soldiers. Antique collectibles, clothing, glassware, a mule deer antler chandelier, and many more unusual items fill the 2,000 sq. ft. "extra room" added onto the house.
The Monroe Actors Stage Company (MASC) offers plays from September through June.
The Scrapbook Factory offers all the supplies you need to create the scrapbook of your dreams.
Three Sisters Crafts & Gifts offers handmade crafts, beads, jewelry-making supplies, home decor, scrapbook and quilting supplies, and much more.
Patchwork Corner Crafts has a wide variety of quilting and craft supplies.
The log house gives a glimpse into local life in the 1800s. While at the park, visit the refurbished caboose and passenger train.
The museum focuses on the businesses that helped the city grow, particularly milling.
Calico Moon features primitives, dry goods, rug hooking, primitive stitch, supplies, and classes.
The beautiful house is an example of an 1830s hotel. Charles Dickens once visited there in 1842 while researching a book he wrote on prairies in America.
Our Common Ground is a nonprofit organization dedicated to growing local art by organizing mixed media shows in rural communities.
The Looking Glass Playhouse was started in 1972 by a small group of volunteers to raise money for McKendree College by directing and producing a musical play. The play was a success and they have been putting on performances ever since. Drama, musicals, and comedy performances are on the bill.
Distinguished speakers, concerts, and drama are all part of the playbill at The Hett, McKendree College's showcase Center for the Arts.
This 158-year-old home has displays of historic items including Civil War artifacts, a Native American collection, and 1830s furnishings.
Learn how firemen fought fires throughout history. See all of the antique firefighting memorabilia.
SummerStage is an amateur thespian organization that began in 1981. The group presents five programs a year including dramas, comedies, and musicals.
Originally called Monticello, the village of Godfrey was named for a Massachusetts sea captain, Benjamin Godfrey who founded the Monticello Seminary in 1838. One of the more rapidly growing Illinois community colleges, Lewis & Clark Community College, now calls the Monticello campus home. Located on the campus, the Benjamin Godfrey Chapel, built in 1854, has become a landmark in the community. This church has been designated as one of only six churches outside of the northeastern United States that are authentic copies of New England church architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
A beautiful sculpture of Sacagawea graces the campus of Lewis and Clark Community College in Godfrey, Illinois. The piece was crafted by Glenna Goodacre who also designed the image on the Sacajewea $1 coin.
An authentic log cabin located in the heart of Glen Carbon, it has the original ceiling rafters and attic floor. The sidewalks are made from a 1912 school building. The Cabin is used for group activities and community events. Tours by appointment.
Car enthusiasts are tempted by every make from Model T's to muscle cars. Shop the Antique Mall for Collectibles or attend their monthly sales and auctions.
This memorial in Valley View Cemetery honors Edward Coles, the second governor of Illinois (1822-1826). A former slaveowner from Virginia, Coles became an abolitionist and won the 1822 gubernatorial election as the candidate of anti-slavery forces.
The 1836 Weir House is filled with an amazing display of artifacts representing local and county history, in addition to a historic research library.