Showing 1-24 of 62 items found in Arts & Culture
Our Common Ground is a nonprofit organization dedicated to growing local art by organizing mixed media shows in rural communities.
Built in the 1790s, the house is designed in the French vertical-log style rather than the more familiar horizontal-log style. This is the oldest known residence in Illinois.
This two-story brick home is a wonderful example of Federal-style architecture from 1820. Col. Stephenson, who was a contemporary of Lewis & Clark, moved there in 1809.
The 1836 Weir House is filled with an amazing display of artifacts representing local and county history, in addition to a historic research library.
This memorial in Valley View Cemetery honors Edward Coles, the second governor of Illinois (1822-1826). A former slaveowner from Virginia, Coles became an abolitionist and won the 1822 gubernatorial election as the candidate of anti-slavery forces.
The Looking Glass Playhouse was started in 1972 by a small group of volunteers to raise money for McKendree College by directing and producing a musical play. The play was a success and they have been putting on performances ever since. Drama, musicals, and comedy performances are on the bill.
The Music Theatre Company explores the musical in the interest of expanding the canon of musical theatre through fully-staged productions, commissions of new works and musical experiments.
One of the smallest country chapels in the world was built in Nashville in the late 1980s. Thousands of travelers from all over the globe have stopped to visit this miniature chapel.
The 60-seat facility is complete with a restored 1928 Barton 12-rank theatre pipe organ. It was originally built to perform popular music and to accompany the silent movies of the 1920s. Group tours available.
The Monroe Actors Stage Company (MASC) offers plays from September through June.
Katherine Dunham is probably best known as a legendary dancer who propelled the awareness of the cultures of the African Diaspora via her choreography. Her famous dance technique reflects a fusion of many cultures. Miss Dunham was a true renaissance woman. She was an artist, anthropologist, author, activist, manager, movie star, producer, educator, wife, mother, and so much more. The world needs to know about her wonderful life story and there's no better learning environment than the Museum and Centers for Arts and Humanities she created. The museum houses Miss Dunham's outstanding collection of symbolic and functional art, including more than 250 African and Caribbean art objects from more than 50 countries.
CITY:East St. Louis
The entire village of Maeystown is on the historic register with much of the history preserved in the museum.
Three Sisters Crafts & Gifts offers handmade crafts, beads, jewelry-making supplies, home decor, scrapbook and quilting supplies, and much more.
The nation's second oldest continuously performing symphony orchestra (1867-2005) gives concerts throughout the year.
This Victorian adaptation of a Greek Revival home was built in the early 1800s. In addition to period furniture and vintage clothing, artifacts, and quilts, the museum contains an extensive research library and gift shop.
Built in 1830, this is the only stagecoach stop still intact along the 60-mile Kaskaskia-Cahokia trail.
Over 350 permanent works, including a beautifully landscaped and sculptured garden, are on display.
This talented troupe can be found at a variety of venues from dinner theater at Fischer's Restaurant to stage shows at Southwestern Illinois College.
Shows are performed at the Turkey Hill Grange, Progressive Grange, and The New Athens Senior Center.
Toddlers to 12-year-olds can enjoy the unique interactive exhibits and seasonal events at this fun children's museum.
Learn about the history of aviation in the St. Louis area. The Museum is located at the St. Louis Downtown Parks Airport and has Gus Grissom's flight suit, a collection of TWA artifacts, and a 1941 Meyers O.T.W. Bi-plane on exhibit.
The subject of intensive historical interest, the Mansion is probably the oldest brick house in the state of Illinois. It was built in 1810 by Nicholas Jarrot, who was a native Frenchman and landowner in Cahokia.