Showing 1,441-1,460 of 1,460 items found in Arts & Culture
The Merwin and Wakeley Galleries provide exhibition schedules that support Illinois Weseyln University's curriculum, the University community and the general public. Each exhibition, consisting of contemporary artworks in all media, is meant to suggest the variety of visual approaches one may choose to present an idea.
Alto Clay Work is the studio home of Stephen Grimmer. The pottery showroom is open Friday-Sunday, Noon to 5PM during Spring, Summer, and Autumn, and other times by appointment and by chance. Also offers ceramics classes for adults and children, resident artist studios, and a gallery for occasional exhibitions.
The Midwest Institute of Opera is Bloomington-Normal's newest opera company. Performances are held at Illinois State University's Center for Performing Arts Concert Hall. The Institute brings in opera professionals from New York City and participants have come from all over the U.S., Canada, Egypt and Australia. Operas are performed in their original language (with English supertitles) and all productions are fully staged and costumed.
Eaton Studio & Gallery exhibits and sells the work of local artist Herb Eaton in a 1902 historic building in downtown Bloomington. The paintings, sculptures and drawings reflect the artist's interest in the local rivers, cornfields, gardens, circus, and music scenes. The Gallery hosts art salons, jazz and acoustic musical and theatrical events and sponsors cultural discussions focused on local community interests. Open most Saturdays 10am-2pm, by appointment, special events, and during 1st Fridays 5-8pm.
Harold Gregor Gallery features the paintings of artist Harold Gregor in four modes: realist panoramas, colorful aerial flatscapes, energetic abstract "trail" paintings and vibrascapes.
The Stone Bridge Valley Art Studio is a place to explore the various media available and enjoy the company of others. It's a place to display or sell art and now includes a Gallery Boutique, classes and a working studio.
The Center for the Performing Arts provides the Illinois State University campus and greater Central Illinois community with a wide variety of cultural activities. More than 20,000 people attend annual performances produced by the Illinois State University Schools of Music and Theatre in the Center and all performances are open to the public. Tickets to all performances are available online at Ticketmaster or by calling the box office.
The original 1893 schoolhouse displays hundreds of original artifacts depicting immigrant turn-of-the-century life of families, businesses, and coal mines. Original items include the jailhouse iron doors, soccer trophies and bocce balls, coal mining tools, furniture and household items, old store supplies, Illinois coal reports, maps and plats, and plenty of family memories; there is something to interest everyone.
The mission of J Draper Glass is to offer a complete understanding of hot glass as a studio movement in America by engaging the community through hands on opportunities, classes, tours, team building workshops and open houses to encourage an exploration of this medium. Through these efforts, JDraper Glass will cultivate a deeper understanding and appreciation of the art of hand blown glass.
The Aurora Elks Lodge No. 705 is a Mayan style building on Stolp Island in Aurora, Illinois. It is included in the Stolp Island Historic District. The building was built in 1926 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. (Re-development planning in process.)
The Richard H. Driehaus Museum immerses visitors in one of the grandest residential buildings of 19th-century Chicago, the Gilded Age home of banker Samuel Mayo Nickerson. Philanthropist Richard H. Driehaus founded the museum on April 1, 2003 with a vision to influence today’s built environment by preserving and promoting architecture and design of the past.
Leland Tower is a twenty-two story tall building located on Stolp Island in Aurora, Illinois. Leland Tower was at one point the tallest building in Illinois outside of Chicago. Stolp Island is recognized as a Historical District by the National Register of Historical Places. Leland Tower was at one time the tallest building in the world, and dominates the downtown of Aurora, dwarfing all the other buildings located there. The tower was built initially as a hotel. The Leland Hotel project was conceived in 1926 and was one of the most ambitious projects in the city's history. The project was announced by an organization known as the Aurora Building Corporation through Herbert P. Heiss of the First Illinois Company. Mr. Heiss had located and purchased the site for the proposed hotel. The building contract was awarded to the H.G. Chtistman Company, general contractors of South Bend, Indiana and Detroit, Michigan. Anker Sveere Graven and Arthur Guy Mayger were chosen to design the hotel which was planned to be one of the grandest buildings outside of Chicago.
Victorian Italianate structure opened in 1964 that towers proudly over the Fox River and the City of Yorkville. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Olde Courthouse Gallery graces the main hall with shows featuring the work of artists from Kendall County and beyond. Laws of Nature exhibit focuses on the natural resources of the county. Tours available.
From 1908 to 1940, Sears Roebuck and Company ordered, manufactured and sold homes to hundreds of thousands of Americans. Sears homes were popular in the railroad community of Aurora, which boasts 136 authenticated properties, making Aurora one of the largest concentrations of Sears homes in the country. Take the tour - stop by the literature center at 43 W. Galena Blvd. or download an entire list of Sears Homes from the City's web site.
The David Adler Music and Arts Center is dedicated to promoting music and the arts as an integral part of everyday life. Its year-round activities are designed to foster critical thinking and interpretation, participation, entertainment, and achievement in music and the arts for the people of Northern Illinois. The David Adler Music and Arts Center maintains and interprets the historic home of architect David Adler, which is the base of its activities, and a visual image of the harmony between music, the arts and daily life.
Enjoy a self-guided driving tour of Aurora’s historic districts. Go back in time to Pre-Civil War era when Illinois' second largest city was being formed. Visit the Roundhouse, Stolp Island, Central Fire Station, Auto-Row, the house made of coal and much more. Online tour information available by clicking the link to the City of Aurora's Historic Preservation page of the City's web site.
Located just outside the city of Chicago, the Leaning Tower of Niles is a half-sized replica of the famous tower in Pisa. It is made of steel, concrete and precast stone and is 94 ft (28 m) tall with a 7.4 ft (2.2 m) tilt. Completed in 1934 by Robert Ilg.
The Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC), at 360 North State Street in Chicago, is an Illinois non-profit corporation and manages two subsidiaries --Museum.TV and the National Radio Hall of Fame (NRHOF) and its website radiohof.org. The MBC’s mission is to collect, preserve and present historic and contemporary and television content as well as educate, inform and entertain the public through its archives, public programs, screening, exhibits, publications and online access to its resources.
With Windy City Playhouse is a new kind of theater. A theater where high art and high levels of entertainment combine – a space for friends to gather, colleagues to engage and strangers to meet, all in the name of art. Our primary creative endeavor will be live theater, but other contributing art forms will play a part. With the addition of visual art, auditory art, and the art of mixology, we will entertain and engage audiences in a new and holistic way.
The first space in Chicago dedicated solely to the art of poetry, the Poetry Foundation building realizes Harriet Monroe’s dream, set out in her very first editorial, that Poetry magazine would help poets pursue their art, increase public interest in poetry, and raise poetry’s profile in our culture. It also is Poetry’s first permanent home in its 100-year history. Designed by the Chicago firm John Ronan Architects, the building helps the Foundation to carry out its mission: to discover and celebrate the best poetry and place it before the largest possible audience. The facility includes a 30,000-volume poetry library, an exhibition gallery, a performance space for the Foundation's extensive roster of public events and the Poetry Foundation's programming offices, including those of Poetry magazine.