Showing 97-106 of 106 items found in Arts & Culture
Midwest Museum of Natural History
The mission of the Midwest Museum of Natural History is to encourage an appreciation of the world's diverse natural environment and human culture through exhibits and interactive learning experiences for children and adults. Offering a kid's play area with hands-on learning fun, a gift shop, national traveling exhibits, and world-renowned celebrities Ruud Kleinpaste, Jack Hanna and Jeff Corwin.
Joiner History Room
The Joiner History Room is a cooperative effort of the DeKalb County Board, the County Judiciary, the County Clerk’s Office, the County Facilities Management Office, Sycamore Library and DeKalb County Citizens concerned with safeguarding their historical documents. The Joiner History Room is an archives that has many items of museum quality. Our historical materials date back to the hand written minutes of the first session of the County Commissioners in 1837. As there has never been a fire to destroy any of the county valuable historical files, they have been meticulously preserved to meet the needs of today’s researchers. The collection includes Civil War papers, newspaper files, old photographs and numerous boxes of manuscript materials.
Sycamore State Street Theatre
The Sycamore State Theater opened as the Fargo theater on November 28, 1925. The 900 seat, single screen Fargo theater was built at a cost of $115,000 by Henry Fargo of Geneva. The theater opened to live stage performances, silent movies, and a large Geneva Pipe organ. The first sound system was added in December 1928 at a cost of $20,000. In June of 1939 the Fargo theater was one of the first buildings to have air conditioning in DeKalb County. The Fargo became the State Theater August 6, 1940. The State Theater had a long run as a movie theater until November 1972 when lack of attendance the theater closed. It operated as a church for the next 17 years. For 9 months in 1989 the State Theater was bought with the vision of holding live country music shows once again the theater was closed due to lack of attendance. The State was made a three-screen theater in 1990 by splitting the large theater in half and making the old stage a third screen. The State Theater was home to the first Sycamore Film Festival in September 2011.
Chelsea McGhee Studios
A variety of classes for children and adults, including private event painting sessions for birthday parties, girls night out, corporate events, team building, bachelorette parties and baby showers.
Art Attack offers a variety of classes, hosts private events, and has an artist gallery for viewing. Art Attack is a place for empowering self-expression and freedom through art.
Blue Moon Bikes Vintage Sting Ray Museum
Blue Moon Bikes owner Rod Griffis has been an antique bicycle collector for more than a decade. He actively collects antique bikes, and Schwinn Sting-rays are his specialty. Rod's collection is world renowned for its completeness and authenticity. His extensive collection features Schwinn Sting-Rays from 1963 through the 1980's.
Sycamore History Museum
The Sycamore History Museum strives to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit significant materials relating to Sycamore and the surrounding area, to provide related educational services for the public knowledge of Sycamore.
West Chicago City Museum
DuPage County, Chicago’s Western Suburbs - Housed in historic Turner Town Hall (National Register site), the museum features community history exhibits and a research collection including local history and railroad materials. The Kid Zone Gallery offers changing hands-on displays for all ages.
CITY: West Chicago
City of West Chicago’s Gallery 200
DuPage County, Chicago’s Western Suburbs - Gallery 200 is fast becoming a haven for art lovers as a quality destination for buying and browsing great local art. The gallery, a cultural initiative supported by the City of West Chicago, hosts artist opening receptions, art talks and workshops.
CITY: West Chicago
Kendall County Historical Society's Heritage Hall & Chapel on the Green
Dating back to 1855, the chapel is Kendall County's oldest church building, adorned with stained glass windows and a restored 1899 pipe organ. The adjacent hall houses local artifacts, including photographs and clothing.