Showing 1-19 of 19 items found in History
Danville Dans at Historic Danville Stadium
Built in 1946 as part of the Brooklyn Dodgers farm system, during the summer the field is home to the Danville Dans, a college summer wooden bat team. This NCAA-sanctioned, Major League-sponsored wooden bat collegiate league plays at Danville Stadium.
Historic Fischer Theatre, owned by the Vermilion Heritage Foundation, was built as the Grand Opera House in 1884. From Lillian Russell to silent movies, this theater provided entertainment to the community until it's closing in 1982. As work continues toward the goal of complete restoration, the lobby is used for many public events. The theater also houses the "Stage Presents The Fischer Gift Shop" where you will find creations by local artists and artisans, as well as products highlighting the area's famous stage, movie and vocal artists.
The 1855 Victorian mansion was the home of Dr. William Fithian, a friend of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln spent two nights here in 1858.
Grave Of Sarah Hanks Varnell
Abraham Lincoln's aunt was buried in the Ogden County cemetery in 1876 after living a long life in Edgar County.
Salt Kettle Rest Area/Pioneer Salt Mines
The Salt Kettle Rest Area is accessible from the westbound lands of I-74, between Danville and Oakwood, and is located near the original pioneer salt mines. A monument stands at the site in honor of the area's first industry.
Vermilion County Museum
The Vermilion County Museum was built as a replica of the 1833 county courthouse where President Abraham Lincoln practiced law from 1841-1859. Exhibits include the Lincoln Law Office in Danville, a schoolhouse, coal mine shaft and more.
The 1840s Lamon House is believed to be the oldest framed residence in the Danville Area. The home was constructed by Joseph Lamon, cousin of Ward Hill Lamon, President Abraham Lincoln's law partner and presidential bodyguard. The Lamon House is open Sundays, 1:30 - 4:30 PM, throughout the summer and by appointment.
Independence Pioneer Village
Visit this log home village from the early 1800s, including a blacksmith shop, church and schoolhouse.
Vermilion County War Museum
The Vermilion County War Museum, housed in a former Carnegie Library, contains over 25,000 artifacts and memorabilia ranging from the Revolutionary War to Operation Iraqi Freedom. The museum enjoys a steady stream of both U.S. and foreign visitors who appreciate the ever-increasing collections of artifacts and research materials.
Hiram Rutherford Home
Home of Oakland's first physician, the restored 1850s Dr. Hiram Rutherford Home features a summer kitchen, doctor's office and a museum of agricultural history.
Indian Treaty Site
A marker commemorates the point where two important trails intersected on the prairie: Detroit to St. Louis and Peoria to Terre Haute. In 1765, the British and the Illinois Indians signed a peace treaty here.
WWI Victory Memorial
This monument to Vermilion County's World War I veterans was sculpted by Lorado Taft. Its base displays the names of 51 area men who died in the war, and statues representing Red Cross nurses and each branch of the Armed Services guard the base.
Edgar County Historical Society
Compare pioneer and Victorian lifestyles when you visit the log cabin and brick Italianate home. An exhibition gallery in an adjacent building features rotating exhibits of the historical society's collection.
Chrisman Wall Mural
Artistic talent is showcased on a wall mural that decorates the side of a building on this quaint small town's square. The first mural at Illinois and Madison streeets was completed in the fall of 1998.
Allis Chalmers Tractor Musuem
Come visit this private collection of Allis Chalmers tractor models made from 1914-1957. Open for free by appointment or chance.
Edgar County Courthouse
This elegant 1893 brick and stone building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Edgar County Genealogical Library
Trace your Edgar County roots at this library that has genealogical tools, manuscripts, books, filmed records, micro-fiche, and computerized data based on Edgar County families.
Mile Marker Historical Monument
This stone identifies one of the last original road markers that dotted the first road built from Vincennes to Chicago.
Shiloh Prairie Restoration
View 40 acres of restored prairie grass and a Native American grass lodge.