Showing 1-17 of 17 items found in History
Horse and Buggy Museum
The museum offers agricultural history exhibits and programs from the period 1820-1920 when horses were the man source of power for farming and transportation. With 6000 square feet of display area featuring eight interactive touchscreen kiosks with 80 video clips making Henderson county horse era come alive again. Over 50 equipment pieces are on exhibit.
Galesburg Railroad Museum
Museum celebrating the shared histories of Galesburg and the railroad. Tour a real steam locomotive. See the authentic railroad memorabilia. Great for kids and rail fans! Right next door to the Amtrak Depot.
Big River State Forest
Encompassing more than 3,000 acres along the Mississippi River, Big River State Forest is a remnant of woodland that once bordered the vast prairies. The 1-½ mile Lincoln Hiking Trail commemorates Abraham Lincoln's march through the area in 1832.
Discovery Depot Children's Museum
Discovery Depot Children's Museum is a non-profit institution providing fun and educational programs for children and families. Interactive exhibits, programs, and collections will stimulate curiosity, promote discovery and encourage learning. Creative playground facilities outside for children too. Through these resources, visitors will gain a better understanding of our world.
Old Main at Knox College
This historical tour of Old Main at the Knox College campus includes stories about the Lincoln-Douglas debate held at Old Main, the sole remaining original site of the famed political debates.
Wyatt Earp Birthplace Home
Deputy U.S. Marshal Wyatt Earp, an American hero who helped tame the Wild West, was born in Monmouth in 1848. Visit his birthplace and see historical documents and artifacts that tell the story of this great American hero. Tours by appointment only.
Carl Sandburg State Historic Site
Author-poet Carl Sandburg was born in the the three-room cottage at 331 E. Third Street in Galesburg on January 6, 1878. The modest house relfects the typcial living conditions of a late-nineteenth-century working-class family and features many furnishings that once belonged to the Sandburg family. Behind the home stands a small wooded park which features the Quotation Walk, a celebration of the Prairie Poet's work and words. It is in this tranquil setting that the ashes of Carl Sandburg and his wife Lilian were liad to rest beneath Remberance Rock.
The Alexis Museum houses numerous fascinating displays that depict the early days of the community.
Illinois Citizen Soldier Museum
See military memorabilia from the War of 1812 through Desert Storm.
Seminary Street Historic District
Seminary Street is one of the Midwest's success stories in downtown restoration and revitalization, featuring historic Galesburg buildings that now thrive as restaurants and specialty shops.
Henderson County Museum
This museum preserves Henderson County's rural American heritage, with the primary focus of the exhibits on the first half of the 20th century.
Warren County Historical Museum
This museum features four floors of county-wide historical items and displays.
Alexis Phelps House
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this home is a great place to watch the river traffic go by. Open by appointment for breakfast, teas, luncheons, receptions and weddings.
The founding of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity, the first women's sorority, took place at Holt House, which is open for tours. It was in Ada and Libbie’s bedroom at the Holt home that I.C. Sororities came to life.
Monsanto Learning Center
You're welcome to visit the Monsanto Facility at Monmouth, home to many exciting facets of agricultural research and training.
Located in the former home of Justus Schlotzhauer, advance man for Ringling Brothers Circus, this museum focuses on local river history.
Corpus Christi Catholic Church
Completed in 1885, the church has a 150' spire and neo-Gothic architecture. Only ten Catholic churches in the U.S. have a saint’s body, and Corpus Christi houses the holy relic of St. Crescent, taken out of the catacombs in Rome in 1838.