Showing 1-24 of 1,057 items found in History
Wreaths Across America
This National program began some 15 years ago in a effort Remember the fallen, honor those who serve, and teach our children the value of freedom. All 530 veterans graves in the Alton National Cemetery will be decorated with balsam wreaths for the holiday season. Take part in an emotional ceremony sure to bring both pride and joy to those in attendance.
The History Museum
Quincy's original public library, now home to Quincy area artifacts, a stained glass gallery, gift shop and Mormon City of Refuge display. Open Tues-Fri. 10-4pm, Sat 10-5pm.
Northern Illinois University Anthropology Museum
The Anthropology Museum at Northern Illinois University was founded in 1964 and is operated as part of the Department of Anthropology. The museum houses over 20,000 objects comprised mostly of ethnographic material with some archaeological material. The museum specializes in cultures of Southeast Asia, New Guinea, and the Southwest and Plains Native Americans. In addition, the museum holds smaller collections from Africa, modern Greece, Mesoamerica, and South America. The museum is particularly proud of the Native American basket collection, featuring over 200 specimens, as well as the Indonesian textile collection, which contains over 600 pieces. In addition, the museum also houses about 100 different Indonesian shadow puppets, a fine collection of Thai khon masks, and important collections of Hmong and Karen artifacts. The museum has a growing collection of modern Mesoamerican artifacts reflecting the cultural and artistic changes taking place in modern Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico. The Museum is open during the NIU Academic Year.
Museum of the Matteson Historical Society
History and artifacts of the Matteson area; obituaries, maps, oral histories, library of antique books and newspaper clippings can be found at this informative resource.
Wright Plus: The Great American Housewalk
Join us for the annual Wright Plus, the internationally renowned Great American Housewalk. The 2016 theme, Wright and His Studio, features rare interior tours of private buildings designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and the architects and designers who worked in Wright’s Oak Park Studio. Your Wright Plus ticket also includes entry to landmark Wright buildings. Celebrate architecture, design, Frank Lloyd Wright’s innovative vision and the talents of his fellow architects in historic Oak Park and River Forest, Illinois. Experience extraordinary living spaces and share an enjoyable day with visitors from around the world.
Villa Park Historical Museum
Built in 1929, the Villa Park Historical Museum building originally served the community as the Villa Ave stop for the Chicago, Aurora & Elgin electric train line and an appliance store. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986. Today, it houses relics and artifacts from Villa Park's past including articles from the Ovaltine Factory which once operated in Villa Park and Sears Catalog Homes in the area.
Woodland Palace at Francis Park
A must-see attraction in Kewanee is the Woodland Palace at Francis Park, the first “green” home in Illinois. This unusual home was built way ahead of its time and is filled with engineering wonders. Learn about the quirky and eccentric man who built and lived in the home. Fred Francis was an artist, poet, inventor, builder, mathematician, engineer, and a naturist. Francis started to build the home in 1890 and worked on it for the next thirty-six years. It features hand-carved molding, a water purification system, and is the first house in the state of Illinois to have air-conditioning without the aid of electricity. View the sophisticated achievements of disappearing windows, doors, and more. Visit a home where everything seems to work in harmony. Woodland Palace is open seven days a week from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. April through October 1.
Bishop Hill Steeple Building
Take a look back in history and visit the Steeple building, built in 1854. Architecturally intriguing it is a three-story stucco Greek Revival structure with a two-story tower and 66 six-over-six windows. It was built to be used as a hotel, but instead was used as a dwelling, school, administration building, and later housed a bank, telephone switchboard and apartments. The museum is home to the Bishop Hill Heritage Asssociation offices. The rooms and exhibit showcase historic artifacts and photos of early Colony days and take visitors back through time to a quaint prairie village. Group tours by appointment, small fee.
Swamp Bottom Railroad
This is an outdoor railroad using 1/2 inch scale G Gauge with over 1,000 feet of track in a 45 by 60 foot outdoor garden. We run trains modeled from the late 1800's to the present time with both freight and passenger trains. We concentrate on rail cars hauling coal, grain, alcohol, ballast, and various commodities. At any given running, you can see steam and diesel trains depending on the era we are running that day on the inner and outer tracks of this Garden. The engines have digital sound boards for realism.
Rock Run Country Historical Society Museum
Open: Wednesday: 1 pm to 3 pm; or by appointment This museum, in an 1870's building, features artifacts from the Rock City area including pictures, clothing, articles and more.
C.H. Moore Homestead
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this restored mansion and grounds whisk visitors back to the Victorian era. Once home to Clinton attorney Clifton H. Moore, visitors will enjoy tours and stories of the friend and law partner of Abraham Lincoln who one resided there. Home of the DeWitt County Museum.
LaSalle County Historical Society Heritage Center
The LaSalle County Historical Society’s museum lies on the north side of the historic Illinois and Michigan Canal, itself a historical landmark. The museum building, erected in 1848 during the presidency of Zachary Taylor, is a beautifully restored sandstone building that was originally a granary and warehouse. The two-story building has walls of sandstone blocks between 18 and 32 inches thick, quarried in Utica, and secured with hydraulic cement of the same kind used in the construction of the I&M Canal. James Clark, the man who commissioned the building, came to Utica in 1833, where he became a land squatter. In 1842 he became a contractor on the I&M Canal and in 1845 he bought the local cement mill. He made it a huge commercial success by selling the cement to the canal contractors and the general public. The cement was used in many parts of the canal.
Little Popcorn Store
A cherished landmark in the heart of downtown Wheaton, The Little Popcorn Shop is perhaps one of the most loved and narrowest stores in the Chicagoland area measuring 49 inches wide by 60 feet long. The store’s small, quaint space is like walking into a Norman Rockwell painting. Popcorn is freshly popped, candy lines the wall, and locals greet each other warmly while welcoming newcomers to this very special place called The Little Popcorn Shop.
Cruisin' with Lincoln on 66 Visitors Center
Located in the heart of Downtown Bloomington on Historic Route 66, the Cruisin with Lincoln on 66 Visitor Center exhibits cover stories about dining, lodging and travel, which were experienced by both Abraham Lincoln and Route 66 travelers. These are supplemented by local items, books, cards, maps and more!
Route 66 Arcade Museum
The Rt. 66 Arcade Museum is chock full of vintage pinball and video games from the 1930s-1970s - most of which can be played. It's the perfect place to misspend your youth all over again, one quarter at a time!
Busy Beaver Button Company and Museum
ince pinback buttons were patented in 1896, people have found many ways to express their life events through buttons. They created the Button Museum to show how people commemorated noteworthy times in their lives by creating and collecting these wearable mementos. The words, artwork, printing style, color, and size were the final result of a vision they wanted to communicate or be a part of.
The Richard H. Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass at Navy Pier
The Richard H. Driehaus Gallery of Stained Glass, located near the tip of Chicago’s Navy Pier, immerses visitors in darkened rooms bathed in the glow of 11 of Tiffany Studios’ stained glass windows, ranging from ecclesiastical to secular landscapes. Each displays the ways Tiffany Studios reinvented tradition, using embedded colors and new types of glass to create folds, ripples, and other textures that gave life to each scene.
West Franklin County Museum
This museum, located in an old school building contains artifacts, memorabilia and hundreds of photographs, which depict lifestyles and the people from the early days of Franklin County. Only 10 miles southwest of Rend Lake. The museum is free to the public but they do accept donations.
Shabbona-Lee-Rollo Historical Museum
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday: 9:00am-11:30am & 12:30pm-3:00pm; Saturday: 9:00am-11:00am This museum holds a large collection of historical information pertaining to the surrounding communities. Admission is free.
Freedom Train at the Effingham Performance Center
Freedom Train tells the thrilling story of Harriet Tubman in a series of highly theatrical scenes that use dance, dialogue and music of the period in a way the whole family is sure to enjoy. The show starts at 10 a.m.
American Toby Jug Museum
The American Toby Jug Museum is home to more than 8,000 Toby and Character jugs, and related derivatives from around the globe. The collection spans the Centuries and features characters representing the times in which they were made, from the oldest dating back to the 1760’s to the most recent ones still in production. It is the largest collection in the world, and is on display and open to the public
Malta Historical & Genealogical Society
The Historical Society is a beautiful building available for rental capable of seating 70-80 people comfortably. With a full kitchen and AC it makes a great venue for any social gathering. Call 815-825-2330 to inquire on a rental date.
Historic Self-Guided Tours
DeKalb County Convention & Visitors Bureau Books are available to assist you.
DeKalb Public Library
The DeKalb Public Library is open 7 days a week to serve our community. The library has over 150,000 items including books, DVDs, compact discs, audio books, and subscriptions to over 300 periodicals. During the 2010-2011 fiscal year, customers checked out 455,192 items.