Showing 1-24 of 111 items found in History
Heritage Hall & Chapel on the Green
Dating back to 1855, the chapel is Kendall County's oldest church building and is adorned with stained glass windows and a restored 1899 pipe organ.
Lyon Farm & Village
Features 15 historic buildings that trace the history of Kendall County plus an 1819 Chicago Burlington & Quincy caboose, a fully-stocked general store, an 1840s schoolhouse, town hall, a working blacksmith shop, the Plano Train Depot, (c. 1850s) and Yorkville Firehouse (c. 1888).
Kendall County Historical Society's Heritage Hall & Chapel on the Green
Dating back to 1855, the chapel is Kendall County's oldest church building, adorned with stained glass windows and a restored 1899 pipe organ. The adjacent hall houses local artifacts, including photographs and clothing.
Yesterday's Farm Museum
A historic 1800s family farm that is maintained in its original location. Programs depict settlers' lives with period accuracy.
CITY: Wood Dale
Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket
The Chicken Basket in Willowbrook opened in the summer of 1946 on Historic Illinois Route 66. Dell Rhea’s chicken has been bringing visitors from around the world on a regular basis for years.
DuPage County Historical Museum
Housed in an 1891 Richardsonian Romanesque building, the museum highlights 150 years of DuPage County history with participatory activities, changing exhibits and extensive model railroad display.
Edman Memorial Chapel - Wheaton College
This large auditorium, seating more than 2400 people, is the site of campus chapels, concerts, commencements, and various community-related events such as the Artist Series.
Consisting of the Robert McCormick Mansion Museum, the First Division Military Museum, ten acres of gardens and parks, 27-hole championship golf course and nine-hole Cantigny Youth Links.
Center for History
Museum and education center highlighting our nation's social heritage through captivating exhibits and programs. Stories of the 1915 Eastland Disaster, and experience life on the run following the Underground Railroad.
Kline Creek Farm
A "living history" farm depicting life in the 1890s DuPage County. Original structures, authentic recreations and livestock combine to make a realistic 1890s working farm.
Billy Graham Center Museum
This museum located on the campus of Wheaton College is devoted to the history of Christian evangelism and its influences on society. View rare artifacts, art and displays that include a powerful 3-D presentation of the gospel message.
DuPage Heritage Gallery
DuPage County, Chicago’s Western Suburbs - Located in a three-story atrium, renovated in 2000, visitors learn of the stories, accomplishments and lives of famous DuPage citizens portrayed through memorabilia and photo panels.
DuPage County, Chicago’s Western Suburbs - Set among mature oak and hickory trees, lakes & streams, this full-service event facility with 27 holes of golf offers both 18 and 9-hole play and is nationally recognized as one of the best public courses in America. Cantigny Golf is a part of the McCormick Foundation, committed to making life better for our children, communities and country. As one of the nation’s largest public charities, we’ve granted more than $1 billion to organizations in local communities across the country. The golf course is part of the historic 500-acre Cantigny Park, where memorable family experiences happen. The grounds include museums, formal gardens and picnic areas.
William L. Gregg House Museum
DuPage County, Chicago’s Western Suburbs - Victorian, red-bricked house displays collections typical of the 1920s through 1940s in authentic lifestyle settings. Open Wednesdays and Sundays.
West Chicago City Museum
DuPage County, Chicago’s Western Suburbs - Housed in historic Turner Town Hall (National Register site), the museum features community history exhibits and a research collection including local history and railroad materials. The Kid Zone Gallery offers changing hands-on displays for all ages.
CITY: West Chicago
Warrenville Historical Society
DuPage County, Chicago's Western Suburbs - The Warrenville Museum is located in an 1858 Greek Revival Methodist Church that was later used as an art studio by Adam Albright and his sons, Ivan and Malvin. Exhibits include art, featuring works by the Albrights, and local history.
Joiner History Room
The Joiner History Room is a cooperative effort of the DeKalb County Board, the County Judiciary, the County Clerk’s Office, the County Facilities Management Office, Sycamore Library and DeKalb County Citizens concerned with safeguarding their historical documents. The Joiner History Room is an archives that has many items of museum quality. Our historical materials date back to the hand written minutes of the first session of the County Commissioners in 1837. As there has never been a fire to destroy any of the county valuable historical files, they have been meticulously preserved to meet the needs of today’s researchers. The collection includes Civil War papers, newspaper files, old photographs and numerous boxes of manuscript materials.
Sycamore History Museum
The Sycamore History Museum strives to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit significant materials relating to Sycamore and the surrounding area, to provide related educational services for the public knowledge of Sycamore.
North Grove School
North Grove School, 3 miles northwest of Sycamore, was built in 1878 by the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church as a parochial and Sunday school. Pupils of diverse ethnic backgrounds learned their lessons in Swedish, even several years after the DeKalb County public school system purchased the school in 1880. The Sycamore unit district acquired the school in 1949, and it continued as a school until 1952, when it was closed. The North Grove community continued to lovingly maintain the building and used it as a neighborhood social center for many years. Classroom in School Upon the closing of North Grove School in 1952, all furnishings were removed. However many furnishings from old Sycamore schools were still in storage in the 1960s when the Natural Resource Center in Genoa began using the site for special education programs. The school was refurbished and re-supplied using these furnishings, with additional period pieces being donated by private citizens. In 1970 North Grove School at 26745 Brickville Road (Map) was listed in the Illinois Directory of Historical Buildings. On May 24, 2012 the United States Department of the Interior placed the school and its outbuildings on the National Register of Historical Places. Today the school is still owned by the Sycamore School District but is leased to and lovingly cared for by the North Grove School Association, whose goal is to preserve this educational icon for future generations.
Sycamore Public Library
Although the Sycamore Public Library did not open its doors until 1892, we can trace its roots back to 1875 when a Chautauqua Scientific Circle was formed in Sycamore. Once members had completed the course, they established the Athena Literary Society in order to form a public library. Over the course of three years they raised $700 and asked city council to appropriate money for books and that the mayor appoint a board of directors. On July 12, 1892, the Sycamore Public Library opened in Hoyt and Rogers’ Store, second floor, in the backroom. This building now is occupied by Marlyn’s Majorettes. The City Council appropriated $800 to purchase books. The Athena Literary Society assisted with funding the library for the first two years. Miss Flora Jeannette Dow, a member of Athena, was the first librarian. In 1902, Andrew Carnegie offered the City of Sycamore $10,000 for the construction of a library, provided an acceptable site could be secured and that the Sycamore City Council would annually appropriate at least 10% of his donation for maintaining the building. Mr. Frederick B. Townsend donated the property where the library stands today. Miss Dow received the honor of placing the first trowel of mortar on the cornerstone on May 24, 1905. Over the next 90 years, several renovation and remodeling projects took place and then on October 14, 1995, a new era of growth began with the groundbreaking ceremony for the library expansion. Today we are looking at ways to serve the community’s needs by providing the best possible services and programs available.
Bliss House Museum
The Bliss House Museum is operated by the Sugar Grove Historical Society and houses historical exhibits about the village of Sugar Grove and surrounding area. Anyone interested in researching their heritage, may contact the museum for access to probate and civil records dating 1839 - 1955. Hours: Open every Tuesday 1-4 pm or by appointment.
CITY: Sugar Grove
Air Classics Museum of Aviation
Vintage military and training planes, plus displays of aviation uniforms and memorabilia. Open by appointment only.
CITY: Sugar Grove
Hoosier Grove Schoolhouse Museum
Originally built as a one-room schoolhouse in 1904 on the corner of Old Church and Barrington Roads, the museum was moved to its present site in 1991.
Durant House Museum
This authentically restored and furnished 1843 prairie farm house features costumed interpreters who involve visitors in mid-19th century farm life.
CITY: St. Charles