Showing 1-24 of 61 items found in History
Kendall County Historical Society's Heritage Hall & Chapel on the Green
Dating back to 1855, the chapel is Kendall County's oldest church building, adorned with stained glass windows and a restored 1899 pipe organ. The adjacent hall houses local artifacts, including photographs and clothing.
Heritage Hall & Chapel on the Green
Dating back to 1855, the chapel is Kendall County's oldest church building and is adorned with stained glass windows and a restored 1899 pipe organ.
Lyon Farm & Village
Features 15 historic buildings that trace the history of Kendall County plus an 1819 Chicago Burlington & Quincy caboose, a fully-stocked general store, an 1840s schoolhouse, town hall, a working blacksmith shop, the Plano Train Depot, (c. 1850s) and Yorkville Firehouse (c. 1888).
Joiner History Room
The Joiner History Room is a cooperative effort of the DeKalb County Board, the County Judiciary, the County Clerk’s Office, the County Facilities Management Office, Sycamore Library and DeKalb County Citizens concerned with safeguarding their historical documents. The Joiner History Room is an archives that has many items of museum quality. Our historical materials date back to the hand written minutes of the first session of the County Commissioners in 1837. As there has never been a fire to destroy any of the county valuable historical files, they have been meticulously preserved to meet the needs of today’s researchers. The collection includes Civil War papers, newspaper files, old photographs and numerous boxes of manuscript materials.
Sycamore History Museum
The Sycamore History Museum strives to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit significant materials relating to Sycamore and the surrounding area, to provide related educational services for the public knowledge of Sycamore.
North Grove School
North Grove School, 3 miles northwest of Sycamore, was built in 1878 by the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church as a parochial and Sunday school. Pupils of diverse ethnic backgrounds learned their lessons in Swedish, even several years after the DeKalb County public school system purchased the school in 1880. The Sycamore unit district acquired the school in 1949, and it continued as a school until 1952, when it was closed. The North Grove community continued to lovingly maintain the building and used it as a neighborhood social center for many years. Classroom in School Upon the closing of North Grove School in 1952, all furnishings were removed. However many furnishings from old Sycamore schools were still in storage in the 1960s when the Natural Resource Center in Genoa began using the site for special education programs. The school was refurbished and re-supplied using these furnishings, with additional period pieces being donated by private citizens. In 1970 North Grove School at 26745 Brickville Road (Map) was listed in the Illinois Directory of Historical Buildings. On May 24, 2012 the United States Department of the Interior placed the school and its outbuildings on the National Register of Historical Places. Today the school is still owned by the Sycamore School District but is leased to and lovingly cared for by the North Grove School Association, whose goal is to preserve this educational icon for future generations.
Sycamore Public Library
Although the Sycamore Public Library did not open its doors until 1892, we can trace its roots back to 1875 when a Chautauqua Scientific Circle was formed in Sycamore. Once members had completed the course, they established the Athena Literary Society in order to form a public library. Over the course of three years they raised $700 and asked city council to appropriate money for books and that the mayor appoint a board of directors. On July 12, 1892, the Sycamore Public Library opened in Hoyt and Rogers’ Store, second floor, in the backroom. This building now is occupied by Marlyn’s Majorettes. The City Council appropriated $800 to purchase books. The Athena Literary Society assisted with funding the library for the first two years. Miss Flora Jeannette Dow, a member of Athena, was the first librarian. In 1902, Andrew Carnegie offered the City of Sycamore $10,000 for the construction of a library, provided an acceptable site could be secured and that the Sycamore City Council would annually appropriate at least 10% of his donation for maintaining the building. Mr. Frederick B. Townsend donated the property where the library stands today. Miss Dow received the honor of placing the first trowel of mortar on the cornerstone on May 24, 1905. Over the next 90 years, several renovation and remodeling projects took place and then on October 14, 1995, a new era of growth began with the groundbreaking ceremony for the library expansion. Today we are looking at ways to serve the community’s needs by providing the best possible services and programs available.
Air Classics Museum of Aviation
Vintage military and training planes, plus displays of aviation uniforms and memorabilia. Open by appointment only.
Bliss House Museum
The Bliss House Museum is operated by the Sugar Grove Historical Society and houses historical exhibits about the village of Sugar Grove and surrounding area. Anyone interested in researching their heritage, may contact the museum for access to probate and civil records dating 1839 - 1955. Hours: Open every Tuesday 1-4 pm or by appointment.
Durant House Museum
This authentically restored and furnished 1843 prairie farm house features costumed interpreters who involve visitors in mid-19th century farm life.
St. Charles History Museum
Rotating exhibits of St. Charles history, including Civil War artifacts, local industry and other fascinating facts. Local history research archives available by appointment. Gift shop too.
Pioneer Sholes School
Restored, One-room schoolhouse serves as living museum. Open June to early September. Groups welcome by appointment. They actually sit at desks in the one room schoolhouse while a docent explains how teaching was done in 1872. They also participate in playing the games the students played during their recess periods.
Beith House Museum
1850 limestone Greek Revival home restored, developed as preservation study house. June-August, Tues. 1-4pm. Other hours, groups by appointment.
Marie Louise Olmstead Memorial Museum
Tours by appointment Some describe this museum as a “hidden gem” because of their display of local, cultural, natural and prehistoric history for lower DeKalb and upper LaSalle Counties.
Norwegian Settlers Memorial
This memorial commemorates the 1834 settlement at Norway, the first permanent Norwegian settlement in the Midwest. The monument was dedicated as part of a 1934 centennial celebration.
Flewellin Memorial Library
Aside from offering patrons an impressive collection of books, audio books, DVDs, and magazines the library also provides copy and fax machines, public use computers, and educational programs.
Shabbona-Lee-Rollo Historical Museum
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday: 9:00am-11:30am & 12:30pm-3:00pm; Saturday: 9:00am-11:00am This museum holds a large collection of historical information pertaining to the surrounding communities. Admission is free.
M.J. Hogan Grain Elevator and Visitor Center
The earliest remaining elevator along the canal that was fully operational during the canal's heyday. Built in 1862, the grain elevator allowed farmers to unload their grain locally instead of hauling it to the Chicago market by wagon.
Ellis Ace Hardware, Rental & RadioShack
Founded in 1872, Ellis Hardware is Illinois' Oldest Family Owned Hardware Store. Ellis Ace Hardware, Rental and RadioShack received the Illinois Historical Society"s Centennial Award in the fall of 2009. At Ellis' you're a neighbor, not just a number. We have over 30 departments with brands you love like Stihl, Toro, Craftsman, Weber and so much more! M-F 8:00am - 8:00pm, Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday 9:00am- 4:00pm. Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/ellisace & twitter at twitter.com/ellisace & Instagram #ellishardware.
Stone Mill Museum
Built in 1856, the Stone Mill was originally used to produce flour. In 1965, the building was deeded to the Sandwich Historical Society. The building itself is a museum exhibit which includes the original beams and support posts made of 125 year old timber. The historical society first opened the museum to the public in 1969 and now includes three floors of exhibits. Among the exhibits are fire fighting equipment, antique car, furniture, signage, photos and many other items from the area's past. The museum is open every Sunday, 1-4pm during warm months (April to October).
Selected by Warner Bros to represent Smallville in the filming “Man of Steel”, Plano is now the home of the Smallville Museum. The museum collection contains a variety of props and other items used in the filming of the latest Superman movie.
Ottawa Scouting Museum
A museum to promote and preserve the colorful and proud traditions of Boy/ Girl Scouting and Campfire.
Buffalo Rock State Park
On the bluffs of the Illinois River, this small but charming park is home to an enormous outdoor sculpture. Mounds representing five earthen sculptures molded from Illinois clay, known as Effigy Tumuli, invite visitors to walk around and explore. All five subjects, including a snake, turtle, catfish, frog and insect are native to the Illinois River area. This State Park offers the ideal terrain for the beginner hiker.
Ottawa Historical and Scouting Heritage Museum
A museum established to promote and preserve the history of the Ottawa area and the colorful and proud traditions of Boy/Girl Scouting and Camp Fire. Features national traveling exhibits from museums and libraries. Open Thursday-Monday 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, Closed on Holidays.