Showing 1-7 of 7 items found in History
Vermilion County Museum
The Vermilion County Museum was built as a replica of the 1833 county courthouse where President Abraham Lincoln practiced law from 1841-1859. Exhibits include the Lincoln Law Office in Danville, a schoolhouse, coal mine shaft and more.
Danville Dans at Historic Danville Stadium
Built in 1946 as part of the Brooklyn Dodgers farm system, during the summer the field is home to the Danville Dans, a college summer wooden bat team. This NCAA-sanctioned, Major League-sponsored wooden bat collegiate league plays at Danville Stadium.
Vermilion County War Museum
The Vermilion County War Museum, housed in a former Carnegie Library, contains over 25,000 artifacts and memorabilia ranging from the Revolutionary War to Operation Iraqi Freedom. The museum enjoys a steady stream of both U.S. and foreign visitors who appreciate the ever-increasing collections of artifacts and research materials.
The 1855 Victorian mansion was the home of Dr. William Fithian, a friend of Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln spent two nights here in 1858.
The 1840s Lamon House is believed to be the oldest framed residence in the Danville Area. The home was constructed by Joseph Lamon, cousin of Ward Hill Lamon, President Abraham Lincoln's law partner and presidential bodyguard. The Lamon House is open Sundays, 1:30 - 4:30 PM, throughout the summer and by appointment.
Historic Fischer Theatre, owned by the Vermilion Heritage Foundation, was built as the Grand Opera House in 1884. From Lillian Russell to silent movies, this theater provided entertainment to the community until it's closing in 1982. As work continues toward the goal of complete restoration, the lobby is used for many public events. The theater also houses the "Stage Presents The Fischer Gift Shop" where you will find creations by local artists and artisans, as well as products highlighting the area's famous stage, movie and vocal artists.
Salt Kettle Rest Area/Pioneer Salt Mines
The Salt Kettle Rest Area is accessible from the westbound lands of I-74, between Danville and Oakwood, and is located near the original pioneer salt mines. A monument stands at the site in honor of the area's first industry.