Showing 1-24 of 75 items found in History
Albion Public Library
Established in 1819, the oldest public library in Illinois houses many original books brought here by English settlers.
Stinson Memorial Library
The library was named for Civil War veteran Robert B. Stinson, who left his estate for the establishment of a library. The building was the work of Walter B. Griffin, who designed it in a Frank Lloyd Wright style.
Campground Cumberland Church
Presbyterian church in continuous operation since 1850 and the site of a winter encampment during the Trail of Tears. Only site certified by state of Illinois and Cherokee Nation.
Coal Miners Monument
Joseph Koch, who along with eight other local miners died in a mine explosion in 1947, is depicted here.
Franklin County Jail Museum
This restored 1905 jail museum features displays on General John A. Logan, the Beatles' George Harrison, actor John Malkovich and basketball star Doug Collins.
Franklin County Garage and Auto Museum
This old 1910 Ford garage has been restored to its original condition and now displays vintage cars, Beatles and Charlie Binger memorabilia, and has a gift shop.
The original wooden cross was erected in 1850 by a farmer in thanksgiving for his family being spared during a cholera epidemic. Subsequent owners of the property have repaired and replaced it.
Kincaid Mounds Archaeological Site is 4 miles south of Unionville Road on New Cut Road, Brookport, IL Kincaid Mounds State Historic Site is a nationally significant Native-American archaeological treasure. From about 800 AD to 1500 AD it was the ‘capital' of a chiefdom that stretched from Brookport to Hamletsburg along the Ohio River. Large flat-topped mounds were erected on which the houses and temples of civil and religious elite stood. Today, the mounds still exist and a constructed overlook platform and interpretive panels tell the story of the significant contribution and historical value of this Native American culture.
Southern Illinois University Animal Science & Nutritional Department
Southern Illinois University Carbondale offers guided field trips of its farms, conducted by student agri-ambassadors.
West Walnut Street Historic District
Registered as a National Historic District in May 1975. 54 historic residences are located here. Some homes date to early 1850's, most are early 20th-Century. Homes are private residences and are not open to the public.
The origin of Memorial Day can be traced to this cemetery, where in 1866 General John A. Logan organized the first post-Civil War service. More than 60 graves of Civil War soldiers are found here.
Historic Town Square & Downtown Carbondale
Twenty-five historic buildings ring Carbondale's nostalgic Town Square. When Daniel Harmon Brush, Carbondale's founding father, filed the original 56-acre plat of Carbondale in 1852, almost 10 acres were left open in the center of town. Today you can shop charming locally owned boutiques here, ranging from bike shops to furniture stores.
Shryock Auditorium -- Southern Illinois University
SIUC's 1200-seat theater is located in the historic "old campus" and hosts every genre of performing arts. Constructed in 1918 and renovated in 1972, this magnificent facility is home to the Marianne Webb Pipe Organ, a 59-rank Reuter Pipe Organ.
The University Museum
The Museum has a collection of over 52,000 objects. It houses an art collection and a collection of prehistoric, historic, and scientific objects. One of the permanent and very popular exhibits is the "W.P.A. Pioneer Dioramas", which were created by local craftsmen employed at the Museum during the Works Progress Administration, 1938-1942. It has six galleries, an archive, Museum Gift Shop, and a 100-seat auditorium.
The Varsity Center for the Arts
What started as a single-screen movie house in 1940 has become a power house for live music and community theater. This gorgeous theater is one of the greatest components to Carbondale's thriving art & culture scene, as it serves as home to the Jackson County Stage Company, which presents several plays during the year, and hosts the weekly Friday Night Film series. The Varsity serves as a venue for live entertainment during the Carbondale Rocks Revival, an annual city-wide music festival in addition to accommodating local and regional musicians during the year to bring the city exceptional entertainment.
Old Illinois Passenger Depot Railroad Museum
Built in 1903 by the Illinois Central Railroad, the Old Railroad Passenger Depot has since been restored and now serves as home to the Carbondale Train Museum. Filled with information, artifacts and souveniers, the museum contains significant facts relating to Carbondale's history. Ring the bell of an original train car from the Illinois Central Railroad, which still sits on the track!
The African American Museum of Southern Illinois
Permanent exhibits here include African art collections and slave artifacts. Rotating displays have included Underground Railroad message quilts and local artwork. The museum's changing exhibits seek to portray the outstanding achievements of African American citizens.
General Dean Suspension Bridge
Located just outside the city of Carlyle, this historic 130-year-old bridge is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the area. The original bridge served as a crossing over the Kaskaskia River.
Clinton County Historical Museum
This building was the former home of Judge Sidney Breese, who came to Illinois from New York. He studied law here and became Assistant Secretary of the State of Illinois.
Mary Smith Fay Genealogy Library
Located in downtown Carmi, this extensive library and museum offers history and research services.
Ratcliff Inn Museum
1828 Stagecoach Inn -- Abe Lincoln stayed here as he was campaigning. White County artifacts also on display.
John A. Logan College Museum and Gallery
Named after Civil War General John A. Logan, the college combines modern architecture and a beautiful park-like setting. Memorabilia of General Logan and his wife, Mary, are on display in the museum and art gallery at the college.
Carterville Heritage Museum
Opened in June 2011, the Carterville Heritage Museum is a beautifully renovated building showcasing architectural detail of the former 1924 area high school, hundreds of photo and memorabilia. It also serves as a gift shop, offering nostalgic custom-designed t-shirts, retro candy, gift baskets, a few antiques and popular hand-made cards made by community volunteers. It features books on the Tri-C community for sale, covering Cartervile, Cambria, & Crainville.
Harrison/Bruce Historical Village
The Robert L. Mees Village Centre serves as the hub of the Harrison/Bruce Historical Village by providing a venue for College and community events. Historical buildings include: The Purdy School, a one-room public school in Perry County, IL from 1860-1951. The Julia Harrison Bruce House, a replica of the house the house that was built in 1868 by David Ruffin Harrison. The Harrison Storefront, this "double dog trot" style log cabin is a replica of the cabin the David Ruffin Harrison family occupied prior to the construction of the brick, "Harrison House". And The Hunter Cabin, Emmanuel Hunter built the Hunter Log Cabin in 1818; the year Illinois became a state.