Showing 1-24 of 27 items found in History
This 160-year old home has three rooms of original furniture, pictures and personal items once owned by politician William Jennings Bryan.
Built in 1871 as a private residence, this building now holds hundreds of artifacts from the country including a display of period wedding dresses.
The beautiful house is an example of an 1830s hotel. Charles Dickens once visited there in 1842 while researching a book he wrote on prairies in America.
Bring your children and show them a glimpse into education before the 20th century. Located on the Jr. High grounds, this schoolhouse was restored by the Bond County Retired Teachers Association.
The museum focuses on the businesses that helped the city grow, particularly milling.
Louis Latzer, the founder of the Pet Milk Company, built this homestead for his wife and family in 1901. The home had many modern features of the day, including running water pumped by hand to a holding tank in the attic, a manufactured gas light system, speaking tubes between many of the rooms and one of the first telephones in the community.
Originally built as a private residence in the 1870s, the house now holds an extensive collection of Civil War memorabilia, World War I bond posters, Native American artifacts, domestic arts, and items from local manufacturers.
Three properties -- Dr. Poos Home & Medical Museum; the Frank Schlosser Home, which includes a turn-of-the-century house, barn, harness shop, and commercial laundry; and the Joseph Schlosser Home -- make up the Museum complex.
Located just outside the city of Carlyle, this historic 130-year-old bridge is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the area. The original bridge served as a crossing over the Kaskaskia River.
Built in 1888, this home was occupied by Dr. Robert Poos, a local practitioner and druggist. Dr. Poos was also the staff physician at the Springs Hotel and Bath House, later known as the Okawville Original Springs Hotel.
Stroll brick-paved St. Louis Street in the Lebanon Antiques District, where you’ll find more than 20 antique and specialty shops in this historic town that was founded in 1804, during the time of the Lewis & Clark expedition.
Joseph Koch, who along with eight other local miners died in a mine explosion in 1947, is depicted here.
This building was the former home of Judge Sidney Breese, who came to Illinois from New York. He studied law here and became Assistant Secretary of the State of Illinois.
This monument honors generations of soliders who sacrificed their lives for their country.
Generations of soldiers who sacrificed their lives for their country are honored.
Visit an exact replica of a Civil War Fort complete with a jail, one-room home, livery, and log cabins.
The original wooden cross was erected in 1850 by a farmer in thanksgiving for his family being spared during a cholera epidemic. Subsequent owners of the property have repaired and replaced it.
Centerpieces of the collection are newspapers and memorabilia from the coal mining days with tributes to railroad history.
Centralia's resident carilloneur performs on the town's 65-bell carillon, one of the few in the country. The surrounding park also features a museum and tours of the 165-foot-tall tower.
Artifacts, pictures of coal mining, railroading, business, farming in and around Centralia. A work in progress by the Centralia Area Historical Society to preserve the past of Marion County.
The monument is a tribute to Swiss poet Heinrich Bosshard, who wrote Semparcherlied here in the 1850s.
This museum is a living monument to the more than 72 one-story schools throughout the nation that served to educate children and host community gatherings.
Surrounded by shops and restaurants on the square, the 19th-century courthouse offers a great view of the town's hundreds of flower and fruit trees in season.