Showing 1-24 of 38 items found in History
Washington County Historical Museum
Built in 1871 as a private residence, this building now holds hundreds of artifacts from the country including a display of period wedding dresses.
The Mermaid House
The beautiful house is an example of an 1830s hotel. Charles Dickens once visited there in 1842 while researching a book he wrote on prairies in America.
The History Museum of Monroe County
Anchored by items gifted by Col. Edd & Violet Kueker, this collection represents the settlement of the West, numerous U.S. wars and early transportation. There is even a display of items from the Stone Age retrieved during a local archaeological dig. Changing displays and Special Exhibits from the Museum collection and "on loan" items provide awesome journeys through the pages of history.
The Creole House
The house, built in 1800, is an example of French and American architecture.
CITY:Prairie du Rocher
St. Clair County Historical Society Museum
This Victorian adaptation of a Greek Revival home was built in the early 1800s. In addition to period furniture and vintage clothing, artifacts, and quilts, the museum contains an extensive research library and gift shop.
Spinach Can Collectibles Museum
A museum inside the 1875 Opera House is full of Popeye merchandise and memorabilia.
This turn-of-the-century Victorian house was ordered through the Sears Roebuck catalog and assembled for only several hundred dollars.
Schneidewind Barn Museum
Hundreds of interesting items amassed over a lifetime are housed in this unique gallery that was formally a working farm barn.
Rieso Farm Museum & Antiques
There is a large collection of machinery and primitives dating back to the 1800s.
A Lionel train set shares space with a Li'l Abner Dogpatch Band windup toy and British toy soldiers. Antique collectibles, clothing, glassware, a mule deer antler chandelier, and many more unusual items fill the 2,000 sq. ft. "extra room" added onto the house.
Randolph County Museum & Archives
Built in 1864, the museum is a repository for French-Colonial-era records and special exhibits. Next door, the Randolph County Courthouse offers a panoramic view of the Mississippi River Valley from a 5th-floor, glassed-in observation deck, a mini-museum in the Jail lobby, and a flag display in the courtyard.
Pierre Menard Home
(TEMPORARILY CLOSED beginning 10/08 except for special events.) Pierre Menard, an important political figure in 1818, built this home. It is furnished with many of the Menard family's personal possessions and other period pieces. The surrounding grounds and outbuildings include an herb garden, smokehouse, springhouse, and adjoining kitchen.
Built in 1830, this is the only stagecoach stop still intact along the 60-mile Kaskaskia-Cahokia trail.
National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows
The Shrine has 200 beautifully landscaped acres of gardens and devotional areas, including the Outdoor Amphitheatre, Shrine Church, Lourdes Grotto, Stations of the Cross, Millennium Spire, the Visitors Center with a restaurant and gift shop, and the Shrine Hotel.
Nashville Roadside Chapel
One of the smallest country chapels in the world was built in Nashville in the late 1980s. Thousands of travelers from all over the globe have stopped to visit this miniature chapel.
Mascoutah Heritage Museum
The museum focuses on the businesses that helped the city grow, particularly milling.
Mary's River Covered Bridge
Mary's River Covered Bridge was built in 1854 as part of a planked toll road between Breman and Chester. Currently it is the only covered bridge in Southern Illinois, and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Marissa Academy Museum and Coal Miners Monument
Memorabilia celebrating the city's growth from a coal mining town to the present makes this an interesting stop.
Marissa Academy Museum & Coal Miners Monument
Memorabilia celebrating the city's growth from a coal-mining town to the present makes this a fascinating touchstone of local history.
Labor & Industry Museum
The Labor & Industry Museum is the only public institution devoted to the history of the labor and industry of Belleville and southwestern Illinois. The centerpiece is Jumbo, a 19th-century steam engine along with coal mining, carpentry, and stove-making exhibits.
Kaskaskia Bell Shrine and the Liberty Bell of the West
Known as the Liberty Bell of the West, the Kaskaskia Bell was rung as the island was captured from the British during the Revolutionary War.
Heritage House Museum
Three properties -- Dr. Poos Home & Medical Museum; the Frank Schlosser Home, which includes a turn-of-the-century house, barn, harness shop, and commercial laundry; and the Joseph Schlosser Home -- make up the Museum complex.
Governor Shadrach Bond State Memorial
Notably, this is the burial site of the first Governor of Illinois and of U.S. Senator Elias Kent Kane, Illinois' first Secretary of State.
Garrison Hill Cemetery
The cemetery was created when graves were moved from Kaskaskia Island in the 1890s after a flood. According to one account, 3,000 boxes were moved, some containing entire families.