Showing 1-24 of 52 items found in History
William Tanner House
Built in 1856, this Italianate building is home of the Aurora Historical Society and where you’ll find historic photos, books, documents and maps covering Aurora’s history from the 1830s to now. Tours of fully furnished home & exhibits offered. Call for hours.
Union Depot Railroad Museum
Model railroad, locomotive display, railroad memorabilia.
Two Brothers Roundhouse
Originally constructed in 1855-1865, the roundhouse was renovated and now houses Illinois' largest microbrewery and brewpub. Passion for beer, love of food, and appreciation for great architecture flourishes in the walls of this historic 70,000 square foot facility. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Two Brothers Roundhouse is the oldest limestone roundhouse in the United States. As they bring new life to this 155 year old building, enjoy a casual atmosphere in the main dining room gastropub, our sports tavern and music venue or our new cafe and bakery. There is more to do than dinner at the Roundhouse. As with the beer and food, the live entertainment has a local flair. Whether it be a wedding, reunion or corporate event, they have a variety of spaces for friends and family to gather. Cheers!
The Old Barn Museum
Housed in an original 1840s barn, this museum features thousands of Native American artifacts, including arrows, axes, drills, stone implements, trade beads, beaded garments and natural history items.
The Nehring Gallery
The Nehring Gallery is a space within DeKalb dedicated to promoting arts and culture. It is currently the home of the DeKalb Area Agricultural Heritage Association, an organization dedicated to preserving and sharing the storied history of agriculture in northern Illinois, through exhibits, educational programs and community outreach. Visit their website to see what exhibit is on display today!
Stone Mill Museum
Built in 1856, the Stone Mill was originally used to produce flour. In 1965, the building was deeded to the Sandwich Historical Society. The building itself is a museum exhibit which includes the original beams and support posts made of 125 year old timber. The historical society first opened the museum to the public in 1969 and now includes three floors of exhibits. Among the exhibits are fire fighting equipment, antique car, furniture, signage, photos and many other items from the area's past. The museum is open every Sunday, 1-4pm during warm months (April to October).
Sri Venkateswara Swami Temple of Greater Chicago
This temple is one of only three Sri Venkateswara Hindu temples in the United States, constructed by Native American artisans.
Selected by Warner Bros to represent Smallville in the filming “Man of Steel”, Plano is now the home of the Smallville Museum. The museum collection contains a variety of props and other items used in the filming of the latest Superman movie.
Tour the oldest remaining structure in the village. The home was originally owned by Montgomery’s founder, Daniel Gray. A museum offers an educational history of the Village of Montgomery. Open 2nd Tuesday and 3rd Sunday of each month, 12:30-2:30 p.m. May-October.
Reddick Mansion Association
One of Ottawa's greatest treasures. Built in 1858, this three story, 22-room Italianate mansion was possibly the most expensive private home in Illinois at that time. Tours available 6 days a week- 11am to 3pm. Closed Tuesdays & major holidays.
Ottawa Visitors Center
Open 7 days a week to service the traveling public. The Ottawa Visitors Center is your one stop shop for information on the Starved Rock Areas special events, lodging, and outdoor activities. Stroll our turn-of-the-century Old Town with its lush walkways, boutique shops and unique restaurants. Stop here for your "Scenic Route to the Rock."
Ottawa Scouting Museum
A museum to promote and preserve the colorful and proud traditions of Boy/ Girl Scouting and Campfire.
Ottawa Historical and Scouting Heritage Museum
A museum established to promote and preserve the history of the Ottawa area and the colorful and proud traditions of Boy/Girl Scouting and Camp Fire. Features national traveling exhibits from museums and libraries. Open Thursday-Monday 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, Closed on Holidays.
Norwegian Settlers Memorial
This memorial commemorates the 1834 settlement at Norway, the first permanent Norwegian settlement in the Midwest. The monument was dedicated as part of a 1934 centennial celebration.
Northern Illinois University Convocation Center
Northern’s 10,000 seat Convocation Center is a $36 million multipurpose facility that hosts a variety of sporting events and live entertainment. The Convo features a NCAA-level indoor track, large-scale event/activity space, a full basketball court, an additional practice gym, and storage facilities. The Convo generally hosts athletics such as basketball, volleyball, track, gymnastics and wrestling. Meetings, conventions, and concerts are also popular events at the Convo.
Northern Illinois University
Come tour the Northern Illinois University, catch a show preformed by their Theatre or Dance department, or explore one of their Art Galleries. There is much to do on campus including their new Anthropology Museum, an Observatory, the Huskies Den or take in a game! Their Museums are free to visit, some fees may apply for shows or School of Music Concerts. There is never a dull moment on campus!
NIU Art Museum
The NIU Art Museum presents rotating exhibitions from the university collections, thematic contemporary exhibitions of the work of regional and national artists, and nationally traveling exhibitions.
NIU Art Museum
The Museum serves to educate, preserve, exhibit and enlighten by balancing the challenges of contemporary art with the riches of traditional media for a comprehensive examination of visual culture. The Museum pursues its goal of furthering understanding of the visual arts by presenting a balance of high-quality, professional contemporary art exhibitions supplemented by written educational material, gallery talks, artist lectures, panel discussions, symposia and other related activities.
NIU Anthropology Museum
The Anthropology Museum houses over 12,000 ethnographic and archaeological objects. The ethnographic collection has regional strengths in Southeast Asia, New Guinea, and the plains and southwest regions of North America. Ethnographic specimens from Africa, Mesoamerica, and South America are also represented.
New York Street Memorial Bridge
Spanning the entire scenic Fox River, the bridge's features include the circa 1930 “Memory” and “Victory” statues in honor of fallen soldiers.
Mendota Museum and Historical Society
Dedicated to preserving the history and heritage of the people, commerce, and industry of the Mendota area. Extensive photographic collection depicting over 100 years of Mendota area history. Three Western Cottage organs and a Carpenter organ manufactured in Mendota in late 1800s. Hume-Carnegie Museum Saturday & Sunday 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM 3/1 - 12/15; Union Depot Railroad Sat & Sun Noon to 4:00 PM, 3/1 – 12/15 Breaking the Prairie Museum by appointment. Office hours Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM.
Marie Olmstead Museum
Described as "a hidden gem" of local cultural, natural and prehistoric history for lower DeKalb and upper LaSalle Counties. Three rooms comprising some 5,000 square feet packed full of artifacts and antiques that could be featured on "Antiques Raodshow". One of the "must-sees" is a 32-round flitlock rifle reportedly presented to Chief Shabbona at the signing of the peace treaty at Prairie du Chien in 1829. A favorite of the youngsters to see while visiting the museum is a stuffed, two-headed calf.
M.J. Hogan Grain Elevator and Visitor Center
The earliest remaining elevator along the canal that was fully operational during the canal's heyday. Built in 1862, the grain elevator allowed farmers to unload their grain locally instead of hauling it to the Chicago market by wagon.
Lyon Farm & Village
Features 15 historic buildings that trace the history of Kendall County plus an 1819 Chicago Burlington & Quincy caboose, a fully-stocked general store, an 1840s schoolhouse, town hall, a working blacksmith shop, the Plano Train Depot, (c. 1850s) and Yorkville Firehouse (c. 1888).