Showing 1-24 of 47 items found in History
One of the most important archaeological sites in Illinois, Albany Mounds contains evidence of continuous human habitation over the past 10,000 years.
The Asa Crook Home is the first frame house built in 1839 by Whiteside County's first settler. The restored home is open for tours.
Barnacopia is a farm museum, events venue and Bed & Breakfast featuring two fully appointed guest rooms with full bathrooms and hot tubs all located in a silo next to the barn and the top floor of the silo is a library.
A bronze statue of Ronald Reagan, astride the likeness of a palomino horse he rode nearly 60 years ago, sits at the head of the Heritage Crossing Riverfront Plaza located on River Street in downtown Dixon. The statue, created by local artist Don Reed, serves as the centerpiece of Heritage Crossing, an open-air plaza that looks out onto the Rock River.
This monument is located on the site of Kellogg's Grove, an early settlement established in 1827 on a mail route between Peoria and Galena, and now on the National Register of Historic Places. It honors those killed in the Blackhawk War, including in the final Illinois Battle which occurred at this grove in June, 1832. Abraham Lincoln, a member of the Illinois militia, helped bury five of the slain men. The remaining soldiers were originally buried throughout the area at the spots at which they fell. Fifty years after the war, local farmers collected the remains and buried them in one enclosure on top of this hill overlooking the Yellow Creek Valley. The 34-foot high monument was dedicated in 1886.
The first brick home built in Polo is now a tourist information center and home of the local Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Built in 1858, this Italian Renaissance-style home displays the history of the Dillon family and Northwestern Steel, as well as fine antiques which belonged to the Dillons.
For model railroad aficionados -- and everyone else who ever enjoyed model trains -- this model railroad is something to see. The Fever River Railroad is a 120X24-foot HO scale model with detailed scenery, rail yards, factories, and interchanges with many other railroads. The Fever River Railroad is an ongoing project with upgrades to the layout and scenery that provides an exciting model railroad experience. A collection of railroad memorabilia and pictures, many from the surrounding area, are on display throughout the facility. The Stephenson Society of Model Trainmen, who operate the railroad, host an open house twice a year.
First Christian Church served as the Reagan family church while they lived in Dixon and helped form Ronald Reagan's Christian-based work ethic, which included a short term as a Sunday School teacher.
High atop a wooded hill, overlooking the Mississippi River, sits Carroll County's grandest mansion. Experience a guided tour of this six story, 63 room, hilltop home of Mr. & Mrs. Alan St. George. An amazing 2.5 hour tour featuring original art work and sculptures. Alan and Adrienne St. George spent over 30 years perfecting this castle of American Aristocracy which is now open to the public. Available for tours, weddings, events and receptions. Call for reservations.
The 1878 Henry School, located on the Galena Trail, was used as an operating school until 1957. The Polo Historical Society has turned it back into an old country school, which includes displays on the Black Hawk War of 1832.
On the Mississippi River in an old 12-acre quarry is where you will find a restored and furnished mid-1800s settlement. Paths through the wooded hillsides lead from one home site to another.
Jane Addams, born and raised in Cedarville, was an internationally famous humanitarian and social work pioneer who founded Hull House and won the Nobel Peace Prize. She is buried in this lovely old hillside cemetery.
Dedicated to promoting family history and helping people in their genealogical research, the society's archives are housed in the Family Tree Center.
Abraham Lincoln, then 47, came to Sterling to speak at a rally for presidential candidate, John C. Fremont. On July 18, 1856, a twist of fate brought Mr. Lincoln to the home of Sheriff William Manahan to spend the night. He slept on a sofa with two chairs placed at its end to accommodate his long legs. In the morning he graciously thanked his host and left Sterling and the rest is history! The home has been restored and its interior, furnishings, and facade reflect the time when Lincoln visited in the late 1850s.
This memorial commemorates Lincoln's 1832 service in the Black Hawk War, and consists of a bronze figure of Lincoln as a 23-year-old captain. The statue was dedicated in 1930 during the centennial celebration of the town of Dixon.
This famous statue was designed by Leonard Crunelle and was presented to Freeport at the 71st anniversary of the Lincoln-Douglas Debate on August 27, 1929, by local industrialist W. T. Rawleigh. It is located in Taylor Park.
Step back in time in the Loveland Museum and get a glimpse of Dixon and Lee County history. See exhibits from the life of "Father" John Dixon, the Blackhawk War, Civil War and other conflicts, local industry and attractions, the Truesdell Bridge disaster and President Ronald Reagan.
Market Street Commons is located in the heart of the Mt. Carroll historic district, in the old Kraft Building. The Kraft Building houses the community Welcome Center and Chamber of Commerce, along with shops.
The Fulton Historical Society is located in this Civil War-era home donated to the city by Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Martin.
Take a self-guided walking tour through Mt. Carroll's historic district, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
See model trains in operation, an HO-scale model of the Chesapeake & Ohio RR circa 1950s West Virginia, and running diesel and steam locomotives on a double main line.
The Northwest Territory Historic Center is a History Research and Learning Center housed in President Ronald Reagan's boyhood South Central School; located in his hometown of Dixon, Illinois. Beautifully restored with the dedicated support of the townspeople and Reagan colleagues, the Center is proudly affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution and houses the Veterans History Project Regional Center, auditorium, research library, historical exhibits, art gallery, surround-sound theater and museum store. A visit to the Northwest Territory Historic Center includes: The Unchanged Land-an interactive exhibit on Native American & Black Hawk War; The Changing Land-an interactive exhibit on early American Farming; Ronald Reagan's Restored Classroom; Rock River Assembly Diorama; Chautauqua Assembly Building Model; Earth from Space Poster Exhibit; President Reagan History Room, changing historical exhibits, a museum store and much more.