Showing 1-24 of 42 items found in History
Farm implements, tools, tractors, and other equipment are featured that date back 100 years. The museum is open for special events including the Outhouse Festival in the fall.
The Ariston Cafe was founded by Pete Adam, a Greek immigrant, in Carlinville, Illinois in 1924. The original cafe was located on Route 4, the predecessor of Historic Route 66. In 1929, the Cafe was relocated to Litchfield, Illinois and moved into its present location on Route 66 in 1935. Since 1966, Pete’s son Nick and wife, Deme, continue to offer the traditional service expected of a family-owned and operated restaurant. The cafe is believed to be one of the oldest restaurants on Route 66 and has been inducted into the Route 66 Hall of Fame and is placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
A log cabin originally built in 1873 is this city's history museum. The cabin is authentically furnished as it might have appeared 150 years ago. The building once housed Bethalto's water, fire and police departments. The tiny one room jail can still be seen. Open Wednesday 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. for tours. Call for tour appointment.
One of the oldest colleges in Illinois, founded in 1837. Blackburn is also one of only seven colleges in the U.S. where students work in exchange for tuition credit, and the only one whose Work program is student-run. This keeps Blackburn's tuition among the lowest of all private colleges in the United States. Over the years, students have literally built Blackburn, brick by brick; the only college campus in the United States to be largely built by its students.
The museum, located in the original college building on the campus of historic Greenville College, features hundreds of sculptural pieces by Richard Bock, best known for his work with famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
Surrounded by shops and restaurants on the square, the 19th-century courthouse offers a great view of the town's hundreds of flower and fruit trees in season.
This museum is a living monument to the more than 72 one-story schools throughout the nation that served to educate children and host community gatherings.
The monument is a tribute to Swiss poet Heinrich Bosshard, who wrote Semparcherlied here in the 1850s.
The Historic District includes the Macoupin County Jail, Million Dollar Courthouse, and the largest collection of Sears & Roebuck mail-order homes in the U.S.
This historic 1904 building houses one of the most complete genealogy departments in the area.
This monument honors generations of soliders who sacrificed their lives for their country.
Generations of soldiers who sacrificed their lives for their country are honored.
This two-story brick home is a wonderful example of Federal-style architecture from 1820. Col. Stephenson, who was a contemporary of Lewis & Clark, moved there in 1809.
The museum focuses on expanding young minds through a variety of educational programs. It is available for birthday parties and field trips.
This memorial in Valley View Cemetery honors Edward Coles, the second governor of Illinois (1822-1826). A former slaveowner from Virginia, Coles became an abolitionist and won the 1822 gubernatorial election as the candidate of anti-slavery forces.
This historic home is furnished with memorabilia from the early days of Montgomery County, and is open by appointment.
This quirky must-see Route 66 attraction, information center and souvenir gift shop is home to rabbits of all kinds, bunny and VW, as well as Mother Road memorabilia.
This historic train depot features a preserved facade and a renovated interior that houses specialty shops.
Originally built as a private residence in the 1870s, the house now holds an extensive collection of Civil War memorabilia, World War I bond posters, Native American artifacts, domestic arts, and items from local manufacturers.
This museum features a collection of letterpress printing memorabilia.
This new museum is located where the Vic Suhling gas station once stood. The retro design of the building, with exterior neon trim and restored neon Suhling, sign welcomes visitors. The museum houses historical artifacts of Litchfield and showcases Litchfield's relationship with Route 66. Open Monday through Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm and 1-4 on Sunday. Closed Mondays during November-March. Admission is free.
Designed to reflect the Route 66 era, the museum houses exhibits which focus on the roles the railroads, Route 66, businesses, agriculture, and the military have played in Litchfield's history.
The Livingston-Staunton Muffler Man, in his spiffy orange "Harley-Davidson" shirt, is located outside the Pink Elephant antique mall. He's clearly visible from I-55 now, but looks so tiny in the middle of a field with nothing for reference. You can see him and many other "Muffler Men" along the historic route.