Showing 1-24 of 33 items found in History
Alfred Brown Museum
This museum has a large collection of post cards from the 1904 World's Fair, a drum from the civil war, Native American artifacts, old uniforms, and school artifacts.
Meriwether Lewis is reported to have stayed here. It is home to some of the earliest settlers in Illinois (1782) and was named by the French for a spring located on the beautiful site.
Berger-Kiel Log House
The log house gives a glimpse into local life in the 1800s. While at the park, visit the refurbished caboose and passenger train.
Charter Oak "8-Sided" School
This building is a great study in physics as well as history. It was designed to withstand strong winds and capture light throughout the day.
Chester Riverfront Mural
Painted in the 1930s on the upper interior wall of Chester's post office, this fascinating mural depicts pre-Civil War riverboat activity on the Mississippi River.
This beautifully restored home has cobalt blue windows. Tours by appointment and open for special events.
This Lower Mississippi-style house was built in the early 1800s, and has been completely restored to reflect life during this period.
CITY:Prairie du Rocher
Emma Kunz House
Visitors are invited to walk through this home, considered to be the oldest Greek Revival-style home in Illinois.
Fort de Chartres State Historic Site
This former French military stronghold has been partially rebuilt and turned into a museum. Regular living history events shed light on colonial life in Illinois, and include 18th-century crafts, food, music, hundreds of historically dressed participants, flintlock rifle and musket contests, cannon and mortar competitions, traders and much more. There are also guided tours of the 1800 Creole House, which was designed in the French-American Transitional Architecture style.
CITY:Prairie du Rocher
Fort Kaskaskia State Historic Site
(TEMPORARILY CLOSED beginning 10/08 except for special events.) This site preserves what is left of the old fort-one of the first built on the Mississipi River. A scenic overlook offers views of the Mississippi and Kaskaskia Rivers, and of Old Kaskaskia.
Garrison Hill Cemetery
The cemetery was created when graves were moved from Kaskaskia Island in the 1890s after a flood. According to one account, 3,000 boxes were moved, some containing entire families.
Governor Shadrach Bond State Memorial
Notably, this is the burial site of the first Governor of Illinois and of U.S. Senator Elias Kent Kane, Illinois' first Secretary of State.
Kaskaskia Bell Shrine and the Liberty Bell of the West
Known as the Liberty Bell of the West, the Kaskaskia Bell was rung as the island was captured from the British during the Revolutionary War.
Labor & Industry Museum
The Labor & Industry Museum is the only public institution devoted to the history of the labor and industry of Belleville and southwestern Illinois. The centerpiece is Jumbo, a 19th-century steam engine along with coal mining, carpentry, and stove-making exhibits.
The entire 150-year-old German settlement is on the National Historic Register. Restoration includes a church from 1867, a one-lane stone arched bridge, Corner George Inn, general store, sweet shops, museum, and a visitor's center.
Marissa Academy Museum & Coal Miners Monument
Memorabilia celebrating the city's growth from a coal-mining town to the present makes this a fascinating touchstone of local history.
Marissa Academy Museum and Coal Miners Monument
Memorabilia celebrating the city's growth from a coal mining town to the present makes this an interesting stop.
Mary's River Covered Bridge
Mary's River Covered Bridge was built in 1854 as part of a planked toll road between Breman and Chester. Currently it is the only covered bridge in Southern Illinois, and it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Mascoutah Heritage Museum
The museum focuses on the businesses that helped the city grow, particularly milling.
Nashville Roadside Chapel
One of the smallest country chapels in the world was built in Nashville in the late 1980s. Thousands of travelers from all over the globe have stopped to visit this miniature chapel.
National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows
The Shrine has 200 beautifully landscaped acres of gardens and devotional areas, including the Outdoor Amphitheatre, Shrine Church, Lourdes Grotto, Stations of the Cross, Millennium Spire, the Visitors Center with a restaurant and gift shop, and the Shrine Hotel.
Built in 1830, this is the only stagecoach stop still intact along the 60-mile Kaskaskia-Cahokia trail.
Pierre Menard Home
(TEMPORARILY CLOSED beginning 10/08 except for special events.) Pierre Menard, an important political figure in 1818, built this home. It is furnished with many of the Menard family's personal possessions and other period pieces. The surrounding grounds and outbuildings include an herb garden, smokehouse, springhouse, and adjoining kitchen.
Randolph County Museum & Archives
Built in 1864, the museum is a repository for French-Colonial-era records and special exhibits. Next door, the Randolph County Courthouse offers a panoramic view of the Mississippi River Valley from a 5th-floor, glassed-in observation deck, a mini-museum in the Jail lobby, and a flag display in the courtyard.