Showing 1-24 of 32 items found in History
Farm implements, tools, tractors, and other equipment are featured that date back 100 years. The museum is open for special events including the Outhouse Festival in the fall.
The Ariston Cafe was founded by Pete Adam, a Greek immigrant, in Carlinville, Illinois in 1924. The original cafe was located on Route 4, the predecessor of Historic Route 66. In 1929, the Cafe was relocated to Litchfield, Illinois and moved into its present location on Route 66 in 1935. Since 1966, Pete’s son Nick and wife, Deme, continue to offer the traditional service expected of a family-owned and operated restaurant. The cafe is believed to be one of the oldest restaurants on Route 66 and has been inducted into the Route 66 Hall of Fame and is placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The museum, located in the original college building on the campus of historic Greenville College, features hundreds of sculptural pieces by Richard Bock, best known for his work with famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
Surrounded by shops and restaurants on the square, the 19th-century courthouse offers a great view of the town's hundreds of flower and fruit trees in season.
This museum is a living monument to the more than 72 one-story schools throughout the nation that served to educate children and host community gatherings.
The monument is a tribute to Swiss poet Heinrich Bosshard, who wrote Semparcherlied here in the 1850s.
This historic 1904 building houses one of the most complete genealogy departments in the area.
This monument honors generations of soliders who sacrificed their lives for their country.
Generations of soldiers who sacrificed their lives for their country are honored.
This two-story brick home is a wonderful example of Federal-style architecture from 1820. Col. Stephenson, who was a contemporary of Lewis & Clark, moved there in 1809.
The museum focuses on expanding young minds through a variety of educational programs. It is available for birthday parties and field trips.
This memorial in Valley View Cemetery honors Edward Coles, the second governor of Illinois (1822-1826). A former slaveowner from Virginia, Coles became an abolitionist and won the 1822 gubernatorial election as the candidate of anti-slavery forces.
This historic home is furnished with memorabilia from the early days of Montgomery County, and is open by appointment.
This quirky must-see Route 66 attraction, information center and souvenir gift shop is home to rabbits of all kinds, bunny and VW, as well as Mother Road memorabilia.
This historic train depot features a preserved facade and a renovated interior that houses specialty shops.
Originally built as a private residence in the 1870s, the house now holds an extensive collection of Civil War memorabilia, World War I bond posters, Native American artifacts, domestic arts, and items from local manufacturers.
This museum features a collection of letterpress printing memorabilia.
Designed to reflect the Route 66 era, the museum houses exhibits which focus on the roles the railroads, Route 66, businesses, agriculture, and the military have played in Litchfield's history.
The Livingston-Staunton Muffler Man, in his spiffy orange "Harley-Davidson" shirt, is located outside the Pink Elephant antique mall. He's clearly visible from I-55 now, but looks so tiny in the middle of a field with nothing for reference. You can see him and many other "Muffler Men" along the historic route.
In the park next to Hamel School, this building was built between 1820 and 1852 and moved to Hamel in 1980. Artifacts from the period are displayed inside.
Louis Latzer, the founder of the Pet Milk Company, built this homestead for his wife and family in 1901. The home had many modern features of the day, including running water pumped by hand to a holding tank in the attic, a manufactured gas light system, speaking tubes between many of the rooms and one of the first telephones in the community.
The 1836 Weir House is filled with an amazing display of artifacts representing local and county history, in addition to a historic research library.