Showing 1-24 of 28 items found in History
This mill produces everything from animal feed ingredients to cake, biscuit and organic pastry flour.
View the farm grave and marker for Kay, the beloved Carson & Barnes Circus elephant who died on October 21, 1994. Kay is only the second elephant to be buried in Illinois.
This small museum honors professional baseball players from the surrounding area, including Cooperstown Hall of Famers Sunny Jim Bottomley, Charlie "Red" Ruffing and Ray "Kraker" Shalk.
This historic home is furnished with memorabilia from the early days of Montgomery County, and is open by appointment.
This historic 1904 building houses one of the most complete genealogy departments in the area.
This auditorium opened on August 23, 1914, and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Macoupin County Courthouse, built in 1870, used to be the largest county courthouse in the United States, with the possible exception of one in New York City. It was even larger than the Illinois Statehouse. While the courthouse still serves as the seat of county government, it has also become a showplace that attracts tourists, architects and artists from across the country, as well as overseas.
Featuring historical items pertaining to coal mining in Christian County, this museum includes coal mining equipment, memorabilia and more. Be sure to visit the coal miner monument on the courthouse lawn. Open Thurs-Sat, 10am-2pm.
One of the oldest colleges in Illinois, founded in 1837. Blackburn is also one of only seven colleges in the U.S. where students work in exchange for tuition credit, and the only one whose Work program is student-run. This keeps Blackburn's tuition among the lowest of all private colleges in the United States. Over the years, students have literally built Blackburn, brick by brick; the only college campus in the United States to be largely built by its students.
The Mother Jones Monument, located in the Union Miners Cemetery, honors the crusader for coal miners' rights.
Established in 1907 by a group of Russian immigrants who lived and labored in Beneld, the group built homes and raised their families while adding their customs to the area's ever-mixing cultures.
This museum features a collection of letterpress printing memorabilia.
The historic 1869 Macoupin County Jail was designed by E.E. Meyers. It was built using the "cannon ball" method which prevented jail breaks by making it nearly impossible to remove the blocks. This unique medieval-inspired fortress housed many lawbreakers during its 119 years of use, but only one prisoner escaped. He was soon apprehended a few blocks from the jail.
The Historic District includes the Macoupin County Jail, Million Dollar Courthouse, and the largest collection of Sears & Roebuck mail-order homes in the U.S.
The Genealogical Society is a research resource where you can find history on your family background, microfilm and microfiche, and books. The Society will also research your family for a donation.
The Macoupin County Historical Society Museum is housed in the John Anderson mansion, originally built in 1883. The main house is a museum with exhibits that chronicle the development of Macoupin County and its citizens. In addition to the mansion, several other buildings on the grounds emphasize the county's history: a one-room schoolhouse, blacksmith shop, church, wash house, granary and herb garden.
This historic train depot features a preserved facade and a renovated interior that houses specialty shops.
The world's only statue of Abe Lincoln and a pig commemorates Lincoln's bemused request for a "writ of quietus" to calm noisy pigs gathered under the courthouse floor. "The Last Stop" refers to the location on the old 8th Judicial Circuit.
See an 1820s log house, the 1839 Christian County courthouse where Lincoln argued cases, an 1854 farmhouse and an 1856 one-room school. Also view military weapons from five wars, a collection of 1800s antiques and much more.
The 1898 Battle of Virden, the tragic result of local coal miners fighting for worker’s rights, is memorialized on the northeast side town square by a large bronze mural created by sculptor David Seagraves of Elizabeth, IL.
This museum was established in 2003 to honor those individuals who have made significant contributions to the sport of gunspinning, made famous on the silver screen and television.
The Sky View Drive-In Theatre in Litchfield opened in the Spring of 1950 and has been in operation each season since then. We are a seasonal operation and run from the first or second weekend in April until the end of September. Open on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays only.