Showing 1-24 of 31 items found in History
This museum, located in an old school building contains artifacts, memorabilia and hundreds of photographs, which depict lifestyles and the people from the early days of Franklin County. Only 10 miles southwest of Rend Lake. The museum is free to the public but they do accept donations.
Only 10 miles south of Rend Lake, the former two story brick Logan School is now a museum featuring area mining history, memorabilia from 1802-1976, a genealogy library, and the Red Geranium Tea Room that serves homemade lunch.
Herrin City Library is your community connection to print, video, audio, and online information around the world. Featuring the Herrin History Room, a growing collection of archival information about the City of Herrin and the Williamson County area. We also have some genealogical information about Herrin families. We have city directories and yearbooks for the Herrin Schools. We do have a large collection of Herrin newspapers on microfilm from the 1800s to about 1945.
The Veterans Museum Depot is a restored C&I railroad depot that is filled with memorabilia from the Civil War to Desert Storm. It has uniforms of all branches of service, a purple heart, horse saddles from World War I, insignia's & patches, gas masks, a World War II communication system and many other items on display. Many young boys of the Rend Lake area left from this very depot to go to war. On the West Frankfort Main Street just 10 miles south of Rend Lake.
Located on East Broadway in Johnston City, this memorial wall contains the names of local fallen heroes. A Memorial Day celebration is held in this location every year.
This replica of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall in Washington is 80% the size of the original. The wall features the names of soldiers who were killed or missing in action between 1955-1975, the time period of the Vietnam War.
A museum gallery featuring theme-based exhibits of works created by past and contemporary Illinois artists and artisans. Less than 1 mile southeast of Rend Lake.
This majestic four-story Victorian home, built in 1884 by banker A.G. Cloud, sits next to the old bank of similar architectural style. The house is now a memorial library and museum decorated with beautiful furnishings and paintings.
The memorial is located next to the Heritage Museum downtown. It features plaques citing the names of WWI and WWII Veterans on one side and other wars featured on the opposite side. In a fitting tribute, the Veterans Memorial in downtown Carterville was dedicated on 11-11-11, Veterans Day.
One of the few remaining Carnegie buildings is seated at the center of Williamson County. Originally built in 1916 and renovated in 1997, the library has the flavor of the early 20th century with the technology of today.
Authentic log structures. Historic memorabilia from the area are carefully preserved and displayed at the village. Open from the first weekend in May through the last weekend in October
Civil War hero John A. Logan studied law at this home under Senator Willis Allen. Come visit the oldest house in Williamson County.
The Annex Building, built in 1912, is at the very heart of Herrin, Illinois’ thriving downtown on Park Avenue. The former Annex Movie Theater was converted into a bakery café and opened on Halloween 2011. The Annex Coffee & Deli is committed to delivering the best coffee house & bakery café experience in a clean and stylish environment which recalls the glory days of the historic building in which it is housed.
The former two-story brick Logan School is now a museum featuring area mining history, memorabilia from 1802-1976, a genealogy library, and the Red Geranium Tea Room that serves homemade lunch.
This restored railroad depot houses memorabilia from all wars. Outside is a Southern Illinois Miners Memorial dedicated to coal miners of the region.
Former Congressman Ken Gray's collection of over 12,000 items includes campaign memorabilia, photos and documents from former presidents and dignitaries, 1,000 original dolls, videos, four cars driven by the congressman and much more.
Opened in June 2011, the Carterville Heritage Museum is a beautifully renovated building showcasing architectural detail of the former 1924 area high school, hundreds of photo and memorabilia. It also serves as a gift shop, offering nostalgic custom-designed t-shirts, retro candy, gift baskets, a few antiques and popular hand-made cards made by community volunteers. It features books on the Tri-C community for sale, covering Cartervile, Cambria, & Crainville.
Family oriented restaurant. Dine in or carry out. Plate lunches, dinners, and specials every night. Historical building dating back to 1927.
In the late eighteen hundreds there were many thriving communities that were totally dependent on area coal mines. Now there is a Memorial to honor all miners. Dedicated on October 14th, 2000, the Coal Miners Memorial is a tribute to all Southern Illinois coal miners of the past century. The inscription at the base of the statue reads, “In memory of coal miners who gave so much that future generations may benefit with a better life. They labored, served their country, sacrificed for their families and some lost their lives. We honor and salute them so that they will never be forgotten.”
Only 5 miles south of Rend Lake, this old 1910 Ford garage has been restored to its original condition and now displays vintage cars, Beatles and Charlie Birger, (the last convicted criminal to be hanged in Illinois) memorabilia.
This restored 1905 jail museum was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. It is near Rend Lake and features displays on General John A. Logan, The Beatles' George Harrison, actor John Malkovich, baseball star Doug Collins and Charlie Birger, the last convicted criminal to be hanged in Illinois. Only 5 miles of Rend Lake.
The Vault Café on the Square is located in a 100-yr-old historic 5-story building in downtown Marion, IL. The café is located on the first floor in what used to be a bank. The vault is still there, and we have seating for four inside of it! Seating is first come/first serve, but feel free to request it with the hostess!
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this chapel was built in 1918 with a donation from former Marion mayor Leroy Goddard. It is still used for weddings and other events, this chapel is one of the beautiful historic places to see in Williamson County.