Showing 1-24 of 37 items found in History
This turn-of-the-century Victorian house was ordered through the Sears Roebuck catalog and assembled for only several hundred dollars.
This two-story brick home is a wonderful example of Federal-style architecture from 1820. Col. Stephenson, who was a contemporary of Lewis & Clark, moved there in 1809.
The 1836 Weir House is filled with an amazing display of artifacts representing local and county history, in addition to a historic research library.
This memorial in Valley View Cemetery honors Edward Coles, the second governor of Illinois (1822-1826). A former slaveowner from Virginia, Coles became an abolitionist and won the 1822 gubernatorial election as the candidate of anti-slavery forces.
One of the smallest country chapels in the world was built in Nashville in the late 1980s. Thousands of travelers from all over the globe have stopped to visit this miniature chapel.
The monument is a tribute to Swiss poet Heinrich Bosshard, who wrote Semparcherlied here in the 1850s.
Katherine Dunham is probably best known as a legendary dancer who propelled the awareness of the cultures of the African Diaspora via her choreography. Her famous dance technique reflects a fusion of many cultures. Miss Dunham was a true renaissance woman. She was an artist, anthropologist, author, activist, manager, movie star, producer, educator, wife, mother, and so much more. The world needs to know about her wonderful life story and there's no better learning environment than the Museum and Centers for Arts and Humanities she created. The museum houses Miss Dunham's outstanding collection of symbolic and functional art, including more than 250 African and Caribbean art objects from more than 50 countries.
CITY:East St. Louis
Built in 1871 as a private residence, this building now holds hundreds of artifacts from the country including a display of period wedding dresses.
This Victorian adaptation of a Greek Revival home was built in the early 1800s. In addition to period furniture and vintage clothing, artifacts, and quilts, the museum contains an extensive research library and gift shop.
The museum focuses on the businesses that helped the city grow, particularly milling.
There is a large collection of machinery and primitives dating back to the 1800s.
Memorabilia celebrating the city's growth from a coal-mining town to the present makes this a fascinating touchstone of local history.
Three properties -- Dr. Poos Home & Medical Museum; the Frank Schlosser Home, which includes a turn-of-the-century house, barn, harness shop, and commercial laundry; and the Joseph Schlosser Home -- make up the Museum complex.
Visitors are invited to walk through this home, considered to be the oldest Greek Revival-style home in Illinois.
Memorabilia celebrating the city's growth from a coal mining town to the present makes this an interesting stop.
The Labor & Industry Museum is the only public institution devoted to the history of the labor and industry of Belleville and southwestern Illinois. The centerpiece is Jumbo, a 19th-century steam engine along with coal mining, carpentry, and stove-making exhibits.
This building was the former home of Judge Sidney Breese, who came to Illinois from New York. He studied law here and became Assistant Secretary of the State of Illinois.
The log house gives a glimpse into local life in the 1800s. While at the park, visit the refurbished caboose and passenger train.
Joseph Koch, who along with eight other local miners died in a mine explosion in 1947, is depicted here.
Stroll brick-paved St. Louis Street in the Lebanon Antiques District, where you’ll find more than 20 antique and specialty shops in this historic town that was founded in 1804, during the time of the Lewis & Clark expedition.
The museum focuses on expanding young minds through a variety of educational programs. It is available for birthday parties and field trips.
An authentic log cabin located in the heart of Glen Carbon, it has the original ceiling rafters and attic floor. The sidewalks are made from a 1912 school building. The Cabin is used for group activities and community events. Tours by appointment.
The original wooden cross was erected in 1850 by a farmer in thanksgiving for his family being spared during a cholera epidemic. Subsequent owners of the property have repaired and replaced it.