Showing 1-24 of 30 items found in History
This turn-of-the-century Victorian house was ordered through the Sears Roebuck catalog and assembled for only several hundred dollars.
Nashville Roadside Chapel
One of the smallest country chapels in the world was built in Nashville in the late 1980s. Thousands of travelers from all over the globe have stopped to visit this miniature chapel.
Charter Oak "8-Sided" School
This building is a great study in physics as well as history. It was designed to withstand strong winds and capture light throughout the day.
The monument is a tribute to Swiss poet Heinrich Bosshard, who wrote Semparcherlied here in the 1850s.
Alfred Brown Museum
This museum has a large collection of post cards from the 1904 World's Fair, a drum from the civil war, Native American artifacts, old uniforms, and school artifacts.
Washington County Historical Museum
Built in 1871 as a private residence, this building now holds hundreds of artifacts from the country including a display of period wedding dresses.
Rieso Farm Museum & Antiques
There is a large collection of machinery and primitives dating back to the 1800s.
Heritage House Museum
Three properties -- Dr. Poos Home & Medical Museum; the Frank Schlosser Home, which includes a turn-of-the-century house, barn, harness shop, and commercial laundry; and the Joseph Schlosser Home -- make up the Museum complex.
Emma Kunz House
Visitors are invited to walk through this home, considered to be the oldest Greek Revival-style home in Illinois.
Marissa Academy Museum & Coal Miners Monument
Memorabilia celebrating the city's growth from a coal-mining town to the present makes this a fascinating touchstone of local history.
Mascoutah Heritage Museum
The museum focuses on the businesses that helped the city grow, particularly milling.
St. Clair County Historical Society Museum
This Victorian adaptation of a Greek Revival home was built in the early 1800s. In addition to period furniture and vintage clothing, artifacts, and quilts, the museum contains an extensive research library and gift shop.
Stroll brick-paved St. Louis Street in the Lebanon Antiques District, where you’ll find more than 20 antique and specialty shops in this historic town that was founded in 1804, during the time of the Lewis & Clark expedition.
Centralia Area Historical Museum
Artifacts, pictures of coal mining, railroading, business, farming in and around Centralia. A work in progress by the Centralia Area Historical Society to preserve the past of Marion County.
Marissa Academy Museum and Coal Miners Monument
Memorabilia celebrating the city's growth from a coal mining town to the present makes this an interesting stop.
Berger-Kiel Log House
The log house gives a glimpse into local life in the 1800s. While at the park, visit the refurbished caboose and passenger train.
Centralia Historical Society Museum
Centerpieces of the collection are newspapers and memorabilia from the coal mining days with tributes to railroad history.
Coal Miners Monument
Joseph Koch, who along with eight other local miners died in a mine explosion in 1947, is depicted here.
Labor & Industry Museum
The Labor & Industry Museum is the only public institution devoted to the history of the labor and industry of Belleville and southwestern Illinois. The centerpiece is Jumbo, a 19th-century steam engine along with coal mining, carpentry, and stove-making exhibits.
The original wooden cross was erected in 1850 by a farmer in thanksgiving for his family being spared during a cholera epidemic. Subsequent owners of the property have repaired and replaced it.
Clinton County Historical Museum
This building was the former home of Judge Sidney Breese, who came to Illinois from New York. He studied law here and became Assistant Secretary of the State of Illinois.
Centralia's resident carilloneur performs on the town's 65-bell carillon, one of the few in the country. The surrounding park also features a museum and tours of the 165-foot-tall tower.
Civil War Fort
Visit an exact replica of a Civil War Fort complete with a jail, one-room home, livery, and log cabins.
General Dean Suspension Bridge
Located just outside the city of Carlyle, this historic 130-year-old bridge is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the area. The original bridge served as a crossing over the Kaskaskia River.