Showing 1-24 of 65 items found in History
James B. and Rosalyn L. Pick Museum of Anthropology at Northern Illinois University
The Anthropology Museum at Northern Illinois University was founded in 1964 and is operated as part of the Department of Anthropology. The museum houses over 20,000 objects comprised mostly of ethnographic material with some archaeological material. The museum specializes in cultures of Southeast Asia, New Guinea, and the Southwest and Plains Native Americans. In addition, the museum holds smaller collections from Africa, modern Greece, Mesoamerica, and South America. The museum is particularly proud of the Native American basket collection, featuring over 200 specimens, as well as the Indonesian textile collection, which contains over 600 pieces. In addition, the museum also houses about 100 different Indonesian shadow puppets, a fine collection of Thai khon masks, and important collections of Hmong and Karen artifacts. The museum has a growing collection of modern Mesoamerican artifacts reflecting the cultural and artistic changes taking place in modern Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico. The Museum is open during the NIU Academic Year.
Flewellin Memorial Library
Aside from offering patrons an impressive collection of books, audio books, DVDs, and magazines the library also provides copy and fax machines, public use computers, and educational programs.
Shabbona-Lee-Rollo Historical Museum
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday: 9:00am-11:30am & 12:30pm-3:00pm; Saturday: 9:00am-11:00am This museum holds a large collection of historical information pertaining to the surrounding communities. Admission is free.
DeKalb Public Library
The Haish Memorial Library building built in 1930 is the current home for the DeKalb Public Library. Open 7 days a week and recently remodeled and expanded, the library now offers more services and creates a great learning environment. The building offers gallery as well as meeting space and houses over 150,000 books, dvds, cds and more.
Malta Historical & Genealogical Society
The Historical Society is a beautiful building available for rental capable of seating 70-80 people comfortably. With a full kitchen and AC it makes a great venue for any social gathering. Call 815-825-2330 to inquire on a rental date.
Historic Self-Guided Tours
DeKalb County Convention & Visitors Bureau Books are available to assist you.
North Grove School
North Grove School, 3 miles northwest of Sycamore, was built in 1878 by the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church as a parochial and Sunday school. Pupils of diverse ethnic backgrounds learned their lessons in Swedish, even several years after the DeKalb County public school system purchased the school in 1880. The Sycamore unit district acquired the school in 1949, and it continued as a school until 1952, when it was closed. The North Grove community continued to lovingly maintain the building and used it as a neighborhood social center for many years. Classroom in School Upon the closing of North Grove School in 1952, all furnishings were removed. However many furnishings from old Sycamore schools were still in storage in the 1960s when the Natural Resource Center in Genoa began using the site for special education programs. The school was refurbished and re-supplied using these furnishings, with additional period pieces being donated by private citizens. In 1970 North Grove School at 26745 Brickville Road (Map) was listed in the Illinois Directory of Historical Buildings. On May 24, 2012 the United States Department of the Interior placed the school and its outbuildings on the National Register of Historical Places. Today the school is still owned by the Sycamore School District but is leased to and lovingly cared for by the North Grove School Association, whose goal is to preserve this educational icon for future generations.
Sycamore Public Library
Although the Sycamore Public Library did not open its doors until 1892, we can trace its roots back to 1875 when a Chautauqua Scientific Circle was formed in Sycamore. Once members had completed the course, they established the Athena Literary Society in order to form a public library. Over the course of three years they raised $700 and asked city council to appropriate money for books and that the mayor appoint a board of directors. On July 12, 1892, the Sycamore Public Library opened in Hoyt and Rogers’ Store, second floor, in the backroom. This building now is occupied by Marlyn’s Majorettes. The City Council appropriated $800 to purchase books. The Athena Literary Society assisted with funding the library for the first two years. Miss Flora Jeannette Dow, a member of Athena, was the first librarian. In 1902, Andrew Carnegie offered the City of Sycamore $10,000 for the construction of a library, provided an acceptable site could be secured and that the Sycamore City Council would annually appropriate at least 10% of his donation for maintaining the building. Mr. Frederick B. Townsend donated the property where the library stands today. Miss Dow received the honor of placing the first trowel of mortar on the cornerstone on May 24, 1905. Over the next 90 years, several renovation and remodeling projects took place and then on October 14, 1995, a new era of growth began with the groundbreaking ceremony for the library expansion. Today we are looking at ways to serve the community’s needs by providing the best possible services and programs available.
Sycamore History Museum
The Sycamore History Museum strives to collect, preserve, interpret, and exhibit significant materials relating to Sycamore and the surrounding area, to provide related educational services for the public knowledge of Sycamore.
Pioneer Sholes School
Restored, One-room schoolhouse serves as living museum. Open June to early September. Groups welcome by appointment. They actually sit at desks in the one room schoolhouse while a docent explains how teaching was done in 1872. They also participate in playing the games the students played during their recess periods.
Stone Mill Museum
Built in 1856, the Stone Mill was originally used to produce flour. In 1965, the building was deeded to the Sandwich Historical Society. The building itself is a museum exhibit which includes the original beams and support posts made of 125 year old timber. The historical society first opened the museum to the public in 1969 and now includes three floors of exhibits. Among the exhibits are fire fighting equipment, antique car, furniture, signage, photos and many other items from the area's past. The museum is open every Sunday, 1-4pm during warm months (April to October).
Beith House Museum
1850 limestone Greek Revival home restored, developed as preservation study house. June-August, Tues. 1-4pm. Other hours, groups by appointment.
Genealogical Research Library
Research early history, marriages, cemetery and census records, and family books, all pertaining to Ogle County.
Milan Township One Room School House
The Milan Township District #83 Schoolhouse served as a center for learning from the turn of the century until 1942. In 1942, it was closed and left to deteriorate. However, the schoolhouse was given a new lease on life when it was donated to the Blackwell History of Education Museum in 1996 and then rebuilt on the campus of Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, IL. Since 1999, the Milan Schoolhouse has been available to teachers at elementary and middle schools for re-enactment of a typical day in a one-room schoolhouse, professors at NIU and other institutions, and teachers at high schools for classes, other events, and families and organizations for various activities. We wish to thank Dr. Eui-Kyung Shin, assistant professor in the Department of Teaching and Learning, for her guidance of Rebecca Edwards in the development of this curriculum.A Blackwell Museum staff member has created lesson plans for students in 1st through 8th grade that allow them to experience a school day in the early 1900s, depending on the teacher's preference. The one room school is currently unavailable for visits, but we hope to have it open again in the Spring of 2014. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at email@example.com.
Big Rock Historical Society Crib Museum
Step into the restored corn crib and explore artifacts from the century-old Plowing Match or learn more about Welsh immigrants. Open by appointment.
New York Street Memorial Bridge
Spanning the entire Fox River, features include the circa 1930 “Memory” and “Victory” statues in honor of fallen soldiers from World War I. In 1930, Chicago sculptor Emory P. Seidel designed the original plans for the bridge. As a period publication stated, using an artist made the bridge “remarkable in its beauty and unique in its design."
Elgin Historic District
Explore rare architecture in this historic district, made up of 667 homes, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Don't miss the house walk in September.
Garfield Farm Museum
The Garfield Farm Museum is an 1840s living history farm featuring the story of the Garfield family, the Brick Tavern & Inn, restored barns, heirloom gardens, rare farm animals, restored prairie and more.
Elgin Area Historical Society & Museum
Experience the history of Elgin, from the Elgin Watch Factory to the first settlers. Everyone will walk out with a better understanding off Elgin's history.
Kane County Events and Cultural Center
This 50-acre forest preserve houses the Philip B. Elfstrom Stadium (home of the Kane County Cougars minor league baseball team), the Roberta Campbell Cultural & Conference Center (used for art exhibits and community activities) and a picnic/park area.
Fox River Trolley Museum
Celebrating more than 100 years of electric trolleys, this museum has original electric trains and cars that travel a three-mile circuit along the scenic Fox River.
Elgin Area Historical Society Museum
Housed in an 1856 landmark building, permanent exhibits include artifacts from the Elgin National Watch Co. and Elgin Road Race memorabilia.
Lincoln Highway Interpretive Mural -- DeKalb
The Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition has produced many Interpretive Murals along the Illinois Lincoln Highway National Scenic Byway and its corridor in northern Illinois. The DeKalb mural depicts the history, heritage, and events of the highway and its impact on DeKalb and the other communities along the Illinois route.
Selected by Warner Bros to represent Smallville in the filming “Man of Steel”, Plano is now the home of the Smallville Museum. The museum collection contains a variety of props and other items used in the filming of the latest Superman movie.