Showing 1-24 of 272 items found in History
Bishop Hill Steeple Building
Take a look back in history and visit the Steeple building, built in 1854. Architecturally intriguing it is a three-story stucco Greek Revival structure with a two-story tower and 66 six-over-six windows. It was built to be used as a hotel, but instead was used as a dwelling, school, administration building, and later housed a bank, telephone switchboard and apartments. The museum is home to the Bishop Hill Heritage Asssociation offices. The rooms and exhibit showcase historic artifacts and photos of early Colony days and take visitors back through time to a quaint prairie village. Group tours by appointment, small fee.
Swamp Bottom Railroad
This is an outdoor railroad using 1/2 inch scale G Gauge with over 1,000 feet of track in a 45 by 60 foot outdoor garden. We run trains modeled from the late 1800's to the present time with both freight and passenger trains. We concentrate on rail cars hauling coal, grain, alcohol, ballast, and various commodities. At any given running, you can see steam and diesel trains depending on the era we are running that day on the inner and outer tracks of this Garden. The engines have digital sound boards for realism.
Labor Day Pow Wow
Each Labor Day weekend, Black Hawk State Historic Site welcomes their annual Labor Day Weekend Pow Wow hosted by hosted by MAPA, the Citizens to Preserve Black Hawk Park Foundation, Black Hawk State Historic Site and IHPA. This pow wow celebrates the Native American culture and tradition of the Sauk and Meskwaki (Fox) tribes that once resided in the Quad Cities region. The celebration features Native American dancing, music, and crafts.
1930's Ag Museum
This privately owned museum houses forty-two John Deere farm implements manufactured in the late 1920's through 1940. Showcased is a 1936 Model B John Deere Tractor, fully restored. The Ag Museum also features an antique horse equipment collection and period farm house furnishings, as well as equipment and hand tools found on a 1930's farmstead. All free of charge, open by appointment, located on the northern edge of Quincy.
Kewanee Historical Society
Founded in 1976, the group maintains the Kewanee Historical Society's Robert and Marcella Richards Museum, featuring numerous exhibits highlighting the colorful history of Kewanee. Open, May 1st to October 1st Thursday & Saturday, 1:30PM-4:00PM Open Everyday Labor Day Weekend
Ryan's Round Barn
Tour this centennial barn, one of the largest in the country and one of forty-two left in the State of Illinois. It stands 80 feet high and 85 feet in diameter and features a 16-foot diameter floor to ceiling silo. A farm implement museum in on the main floor. Tours are provided by Friends of Johnson’s Park Foundation and groups of ten or more asked to call ahead. Open the first, third, and fifth Saturday beginning May through October. Hours: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Old Settlers’ Day and Colony School Reunion
Celebrate the 168th anniversary of the Bishop Hill Colony and the 118th year of the Old Settler’s Association. Enjoy a traditional chicken dinner, the High Society Band Concert and program featuring Bishop Hill Colony descendants’ speakers. Sunday a reunion of students and teachers from the Bishop Hill Colony School takes place and memories are shared. Hours: 11:30 am to 3 pm.
Metamora Court House Museum
The Metamora Courthouse was built in 1845 and served as the center of county government until the county seat was moved to Eureka in 1896. It is one of two surviving courthouses on the historic Eighth Judicial Circuit traveled by Abraham Lincoln. In 1978 the Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The first floor of the two-story brick structure contains a central hall flanked by two exhibit rooms, one displaying artifacts of early local history, the other with exhibits describing the 1850s court system and Lincoln's life on the Eighth Judicial Circuit. On the second floor, the former courtroom and two small chambers are furnished to represent the era during which Lincoln practiced law.
Carthage Jail & Visitor's Center
Built of native yellow limestome from 1839-1841, this was the site where Mormon leader, Joseph Smith Jr. and his brother were killed by an angry mob on June 27, 1844, resulting in the Mormons' famous trek west that led to the founding of Salt Lake City, UT.
This 7,000 lb, 15 ft, 8-sided section of a communnications tower that supported a television broadcasting antenna and a 5lb, 1 ft piece of the antenna were located on World Trade Center Tower One when it was attacked on September 11, 2001. The antenna was designed and manufactured by Harris Corporation at its Quincy plant.
John Wood Mansion
The Mansion is the restored home of Quincy's founder and the twelfth Governor of Illinois. It's one of the Midwest's finest existing examples of Greek Revival architecture. Also on the grounds are the History Museum & Visitor's Center houses a gift shop (Quincy's History Shop) & The Lincoln Gallery.
Savanna Museum and Cultural Center
This 3 story historic building contains artifacts telling the story of this Mississippi River community. Noteworthy displays include over 80 mannequins dressed in authentic Civil War uniforms, native son & famous big-band musician Wayne King memorabilia, railroad artifacts and running model RR layout Savanna Ordnance Depot artifacts and much more.
Kibbe Hancock Heritage Museum
This impressive collection includes Civil War and Indian artifacts, fashion items circ 1840-1920, fossils, rocks, geodes and other historic Hancock County aritfacts. New to the museum are the Funeral Customs display and the "Lincoln: Making of the Man" display. The majority of the collection was generously donate by Dr. Alice Kibbe.
Illinois Veterans' Home All Wars Museum and Deer Park
Dedicated in 1886, the Illinois Veterans' Home is one of our nation's largest and oldest veterans home. It has often been labeled "the city witin the city" because of its size and unique set up. It is equipped with its own post office, bank, chapel, cemetery, television station and utility system. Also on the grounds is the All Wars Museum, which has 10,000 artifacts and exhibits spanning from the American Revolution to the War on Terrorism.
Chillicothe Historical Society
Don't know much about history? Come see what Chillicothe Historical Society and its museums have to offer! Whether your roots are local or you simply enjoy the lifelong learning experience of discovering our common heritage, we think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you step in!
Little White Church on the Hill Celebration Chapel
This restored 1894 country church boasts stained glass, original pews, pine flooring and authentic lighting. The outdoor chapel includes a cobblestone walk and wedding dove benches.
Nauvoo Temple & Grounds
The Nauvoo Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was recently rebuilt in Nauvoo, one of the early settlements of the Mormon people. The structure is 150 feet tall and overlooks the Mississippi River. The temple was reconstructed on the site of the original temple which was built from 1841-1846, but later destroyed by arson after the Mormons left Nauvoo. Sacred ordinances are performed daily in the Nauvoo Temple, therefore the building is not available for tourist visits. The beautiful gardens and grounds are open to the public, located just north of the temple. The temple Information Cernter presents a free 14-minute virtual tour.
Reiman's Harley Davidson
If motorcycles are your thing, check out Reiman’s Harley Davidson. Roger Reiman, the original proprietor, is a 1998 inductee into the American Motorcycle Association’s Hall of Fame and a three-time winner of the Daytona 200. A top competitor in the AMA’s Grand National Circuit during the 1960s, Reiman cut back on his racing schedule to manage the family Harley Davidson dealership in Kewanee during the 1970s. It was during this time that he became famous as motorcycle stuntman Evel Knievel’s head mechanic. Since Reiman’s death in a racing accident in 1997, the Packee family has owned and operated the dealership. One of the top Harley Davidson dealerships in the Midwest, Reiman’s can meet every motorcycle enthusiast’s needs and desires. Stop by and visit the Racing Museum and check out the history of Roger Reiman and Evel Knievel. Axle will be there to greet you!
Historic Nauvoo Visitor Center
Begin your exploration of historic Nauvoo by examining the 1846 relief map of Nauvoo, viewing an introductory video, and studying historic artifacts and displays. Gather information on over two dozen restored homes, shops, and religious buildings in Nauvoo.
Peoria Historical Society
Our mission is to preserve and celebrate Peoria's story. We own two historic house museums and provide certified guides for the History Trolley and other tours. The focus has changed and evolved through the years, but our commitment to preservation remains strong. programs are offered for both local residents and out-of-town visitors. We seek to entertain the eye and stimulate the mind as well as support historical scholarship and collaborate with other preservation organizations. We look to the future with a vision to be the resource and advocate for historical preservation and research on the Peoria area, its organizations and its people. As a collaborative partner of the Peoria Riverfront Museum, we are pleased to have the opportunity to display some of the Society's artifacts and present the history of the Peoria area in the museum.
Lewis Seed Company
The Lewis Seed Company presents seed processing and sales operations during group tours.
Dr. Richard Eells House
The oldest standing two-story brick house in Quincy, Dr. Eells home was a station on the Underground Railroad in the 1840's. Quincy was the first stop for fugitives this side of the Mississippi from the slave state of Missouri. Dr. Eells is credited with helping several hundred slaves make their way North to freedom.
This turn-of-the-century Victorian house was ordered through the Sears Roebuck catalog and assembled for only several hundred dollars.
Brussels Historic Village Jail
Once known as the local "calaboose", the Brussels Jail was built around 1876 and centered in the heart of the village. The jail mainly housed men overnight for drinking too much and the last person to stay in the jail was in 1952. The jail is open seven days a week.