Showing 1-25 of 25 items found in History
History in the Paint Public Art Tour
In the summer of 2013, a collective of artists, called the Walldogs, came to Kewanee, IL to paint 15 historic murals depicting the long history and heritage of the city. These paintings can be found on many downtown facades, as well as at the Amtrak Station that brings new people to the area, every day. About this mural: Kewanee was founded in May of 1854, when the Military Tract Railroad was routed to the north of Wethersfield. The town founders were from Wethersfield Township to the south, Sylvester Blish, Ralph Tenney, Henry Little and Sullivan Howard, plus Nelson Lay from Wisconsin. Colonel Berrian, civil engineer who supervised the laying of the track through this area, was asked to choose a name and he decided on “Kewanee,” a Winnebago Indian word for “prairie chicken.” In 1921, Wethersfield’s 2,000 people asked to be annexed to Kewanee with its 16,000. That 18,000 would turn out to be Kewanee’s peak population.
Bishop Hill State Historic Site
Four historically significant buildings are owned by the State of Illinois and are maintained as part of the Bishop Hill State Historic Site. These architectural treasures are the two-story Colony Church (1850), the three-story Colony Hotel (1852-ca. 1860), the Boys Dormitory (ca. 1850), and the Colony Barn (mid-1850s) that has been relocated behind the Hotel. In addition, the central village park contains a reconstructed gazebo and war monuments. On the south edge of the village, stands a new brick Museum to house a comprehensive collection of paintings by colonist and self-taught artist, Olof Krans (1838-1916). Hours and days of operation change with the season. Please call to confirm your visit.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Galesburg Railroad Museum
Museum celebrating the shared histories of Galesburg and the railroad. Tour a real steam locomotive. See the authentic railroad memorabilia. Great for kids and rail fans! Right next door to the Amtrak Depot.
Andover Historical Museum & Grounds
This former home of August Rehnstrom was a temporary haven for Swedish immigrants in the 1860s. The lawn features the bell from the area's first two-story school and millstones from the historic Edwards River Mill.
Henry County Courthouse
One of Illinois' finest examples of courthouse architecture, this stately structure was built in 1878. The main courtroom ceiling is decorated with murals depicting the principal communities of the county.
Discovery Depot Children's Museum
Discovery Depot Children's Museum is a non-profit institution providing fun and educational programs for children and families. Interactive exhibits, programs, and collections will stimulate curiosity, promote discovery and encourage learning. Creative playground facilities outside for children too. Through these resources, visitors will gain a better understanding of our world.
Old Main at Knox College
This historical tour of Old Main at the Knox College campus includes stories about the Lincoln-Douglas debate held at Old Main, the sole remaining original site of the famed political debates.
Bishop Hill Arts Council
Return to the serenity of an earlier time with a visit to this restored Swedish village. See traditional craftsmen at work, explore our museums, visit our numerous and unique shops and dine in one of our Swedish-American restaurants.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Carl Sandburg State Historic Site
Author-poet Carl Sandburg was born in the the three-room cottage at 331 E. Third Street in Galesburg on January 6, 1878. The modest house relfects the typcial living conditions of a late-nineteenth-century working-class family and features many furnishings that once belonged to the Sandburg family. Behind the home stands a small wooded park which features the Quotation Walk, a celebration of the Prairie Poet's work and words. It is in this tranquil setting that the ashes of Carl Sandburg and his wife Lilian were liad to rest beneath Remberance Rock.
The Alexis Museum houses numerous fascinating displays that depict the early days of the community.
Princeville Heritage Museum
The Princeville Heritage Museum opened to the public in 1999. The museum is a part of the Historical Association of Princeville (incorporated in 1987). The 15,000 square foot handicap accessible facility features antique agriculture equipment, steam powered tractors and threshers, area artifacts, a genealogy research area, and much more. In 2004 the Akron Townhouse School was moved to the museum grounds. The townhouse school allows children and adults alike to take a step back in time and participate in a day in the life of a student in the early 1900’s. With seating for 35, the conference facilities are equipped with state of the art audio visual equipment and wireless internet connection. The facility also includes a full kitchen.
Henry County Historical Museum
This museum's detailed exhibits include a one-room schoolhouse, doctor's and dentist's offices, the war room, restored ag implements, machinery, an authentic windmill and a hog house.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Illinois Citizen Soldier Museum
See military memorabilia from the War of 1812 through Desert Storm.
Seminary Street Historic District
Seminary Street is one of the Midwest's success stories in downtown restoration and revitalization, featuring historic Galesburg buildings that now thrive as restaurants and specialty shops.
Wiley House Museum
The museum contains photos, paintings and artrifacts about Galva and the surrounding area.
American Woman's League Chapter House
Built in 1911 and listed in the National Register of Historic Sites, this house is now owned by the Andover Historical Society. Was built as one of nine Woman's League Chapter Houses in the state of Illinois, features stylistic characteristics of the arts and crafts movement.
Jenny Lind Chapel
Andover's quaint chapel was endowed by the world-famous opera singer Jenny Lind. Built in 1850, this chapel is the "Mother Church" of the former Augustana Lutheran Synod of America.
Ryan's Historic Round Barn
Built in 1910 to house Dr. Ryan's 50-head herd of black angus show cattle, the barn features a farm implement museum on the main floor. Friends of Johnson Park Foundation open the doors the first, third, and fifth Saturdays of each month, May through October. Groups of ten are more please call ahead to schedule tours.
Jordbruksdagarna – Agriculture days
Celebrate Bishop Hill’s agrarian heritage, this event features traditional 19th century harvest activities and demonstrations, hands-on activities, music, farm produce, and Colony stew. Hours: 10am to 5pm.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Corpus Christi Catholic Church
Completed in 1885, the church has a 150' spire and neo-Gothic architecture. Only ten Catholic churches in the U.S. have a saint’s body, and Corpus Christi houses the holy relic of St. Crescent, taken out of the catacombs in Rome in 1838.
Wheels O'Time Museum
Located 8 miles north of downtown Peoria on Route 40. Wheels O'Time features vintage and classic autos, Early Ford V8 Club rotating monthly, gas engines, fire engines, airplanes, tractors, musical instruments, juke boxes, toys, dolls, animated miniature circus, and many “hands-on” displays. Open May-October, Wednesday-Sunday, Noon-5 p.m. with a new Ford exhibit on display every month.
The Bishop Hill Chatquaqua
We invite you to spend the day in an enchanting village. The park is the center of this small town and will be filled with story telling and music. Join us for the historical re-enactment, a family oriented event sharing true tales of what makes us uniquely American.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Old Settlers’ Day and Colony School Reunion
Celebrate the 166th anniversary of the Bishop Hill Colony and the 116th year of the Old Settler’s Association. Enjoy a traditional chicken dinner, the High Society Band Concert and program featuring Bishop Hill Colony descendants’ speakers. Sunday a reunion of students and teachers from the Bishop Hill Colony School takes place and memories are shared. Hours: 11:30 am to 3 pm.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Ryan’s Round Barn Tours
Tour this centennial barn, one of the largest in the country and one of forty-two left in the State of Illinois. It stands 80 feet high and 85 feet in diameter and features a 16-foot diameter floor to ceiling silo. A farm implement museum in on the main floor. Tours are provided by Friends of Johnson’s Park Foundation and groups of ten or more are asked to call ahead. Open 1 to 4 pm.
Reiman's Harley Davidson
If motorcycles are your thing, check out Reiman’s Harley Davidson. Roger Reiman, the original proprietor, is a 1998 inductee into the American Motorcycle Association’s Hall of Fame and a three-time winner of the Daytona 200. A top competitor in the AMA’s Grand National Circuit during the 1960s, Reiman cut back on his racing schedule to manage the family Harley Davidson dealership in Kewanee during the 1970s. It was during this time that he became famous as motorcycle stuntman Evel Knievel’s head mechanic. Since Reiman’s death in a racing accident in 1997, the Packee family has owned and operated the dealership. One of the top Harley Davidson dealerships in the Midwest, Reiman’s can meet every motorcycle enthusiast’s needs and desires. Stop by and visit the Racing Museum and check out the history of Roger Reiman and Evel Knievel. Axle will be there to greet you!