Showing 1-24 of 32 items found in History
West Franklin County Museum
This museum, located in an old school building contains artifacts, memorabilia and hundreds of photographs, which depict lifestyles and the people from the early days of Franklin County. Only 10 miles southwest of Rend Lake. The museum is free to the public but they do accept donations.
Frankfort Area Historical Museum
Only 10 miles south of Rend Lake, the former two story brick Logan School is now a museum featuring area mining history, memorabilia from 1802-1976, a genealogy library, and the Red Geranium Tea Room that serves homemade lunch.
Veterans Military Museum Depot
The Veterans Museum Depot is a restored C&I railroad depot that is filled with memorabilia from the Civil War to Desert Storm. It has uniforms of all branches of service, a purple heart, horse saddles from World War I, insignia's & patches, gas masks, a World War II communication system and many other items on display. Many young boys of the Rend Lake area left from this very depot to go to war. On the West Frankfort Main Street just 10 miles south of Rend Lake.
Illinois State Museum - Southern Illinois Art Gallery
A museum gallery featuring theme-based exhibits of works created by past and contemporary Illinois artists and artisans. Less than 1 mile southeast of Rend Lake.
Herrin City Library
Herrin City Library is your community connection to print, video, audio, and online information around the world. Featuring the Herrin History Room, a growing collection of archival information about the City of Herrin and the Williamson County area. We also have some genealogical information about Herrin families. We have city directories and yearbooks for the Herrin Schools. We do have a large collection of Herrin newspapers on microfilm from the 1800s to about 1945.
Fallen Soldier Veterans Memorial Wall
Located on East Broadway in Johnston City, this memorial wall contains the names of local fallen heroes. A Memorial Day celebration is held in this location every year.
The Annex Coffee & Deli
The Annex Building, built in 1912, is at the very heart of Herrin, Illinois’ thriving downtown on Park Avenue. The former Annex Movie Theater was converted into a bakery café and opened on Halloween 2011. The Annex Coffee & Deli is committed to delivering the best coffee house & bakery café experience in a clean and stylish environment which recalls the glory days of the historic building in which it is housed.
Carterville Veterans Memorial
The memorial is located next to the Heritage Museum downtown. It features plaques citing the names of WWI and WWII Veterans on one side and other wars featured on the opposite side. In a fitting tribute, the Veterans Memorial in downtown Carterville was dedicated on 11-11-11, Veterans Day.
The origin of Memorial Day can be traced to this cemetery, where in 1866 General John A. Logan organized the first post-Civil War service. More than 60 graves of Civil War soldiers are found here.
Carterville Heritage Museum
Opened in June 2011, the Carterville Heritage Museum is a beautifully renovated building showcasing architectural detail of the former 1924 area high school, hundreds of photo and memorabilia. It also serves as a gift shop, offering nostalgic custom-designed t-shirts, retro candy, gift baskets, a few antiques and popular hand-made cards made by community volunteers. It features books on the Tri-C community for sale, covering Cartervile, Cambria, & Crainville.
Right in the middle of Energy you will find Bruce Park. A nicely manicured 8 acre park with trees, pavilions, ball diamonds and soccer fields. The park is a great place to take your family on an outing or for your kids to participate in local sports. While you are there, take a look at the military memorial. There is also a monument with the bell from a schoolhouse that stood on the site.
West Walnut Street Historic District
Registered as a National Historic District in May 1975. 54 historic residences are located here. Some homes date to early 1850's, most are early 20th-Century. Homes are private residences and are not open to the public.
Coal Miners Memorial
In the late eighteen hundreds there were many thriving communities that were totally dependent on area coal mines. Now there is a Memorial to honor all miners. Dedicated on October 14th, 2000, the Coal Miners Memorial is a tribute to all Southern Illinois coal miners of the past century. The inscription at the base of the statue reads, “In memory of coal miners who gave so much that future generations may benefit with a better life. They labored, served their country, sacrificed for their families and some lost their lives. We honor and salute them so that they will never be forgotten.”
The Presidential Hall of Fame Museum
Former Congressman Ken Gray's collection of over 12,000 items includes campaign memorabilia, photos and documents from former presidents and dignitaries, 1,000 original dolls, videos, four cars driven by the congressman and much more.
Jackson County Historical Center
The museum has expanded, adding about 1,000 square feet to its headquarters building for more exhibit area. Included in its displays is a pump organ, a collection of early cameras, a display of Daniel Grocery Store items, and many textile items, military uniforms, 1850-era Chandler Printer Press and county courthouse records containing hundreds of files available for genealogy study.The museum also has an exhibit of women's vintage clothing ranging from 1865-1970s and continues to add exhibits.
Family oriented restaurant. Dine in or carry out. Plate lunches, dinners, and specials every night. Historical building dating back to 1927.
Washington County Historical Museum
Built in 1871 as a private residence, this building now holds hundreds of artifacts from the country including a display of period wedding dresses.
Frankfort Area Historical Museum
The former two-story brick Logan School is now a museum featuring area mining history, memorabilia from 1802-1976, a genealogy library, and the Red Geranium Tea Room that serves homemade lunch.
Franklin County Garage and Auto Museum
Only 5 miles south of Rend Lake, this old 1910 Ford garage has been restored to its original condition and now displays vintage cars, Beatles and Charlie Birger, (the last convicted criminal to be hanged in Illinois) memorabilia.
Harrison/Bruce Historical Village
The Robert L. Mees Village Centre serves as the hub of the Harrison/Bruce Historical Village by providing a venue for College and community events. Historical buildings include: The Purdy School, a one-room public school in Perry County, IL from 1860-1951. The Julia Harrison Bruce House, a replica of the house the house that was built in 1868 by David Ruffin Harrison. The Harrison Storefront, this "double dog trot" style log cabin is a replica of the cabin the David Ruffin Harrison family occupied prior to the construction of the brick, "Harrison House". And The Hunter Cabin, Emmanuel Hunter built the Hunter Log Cabin in 1818; the year Illinois became a state.
Southern Illinois University Animal Science & Nutritional Department
Southern Illinois University Carbondale offers guided field trips of its farms, conducted by student agri-ambassadors.
General John A Logan Museum
General John A. Logan (1826-1886) is the most significant nineteenth century native Illinoisian. Creator of Memorial Day, he's named in the state song with Lincoln and Grant. The General John A Logan Museum's mission is designed to interpret the the turbulent life and times of Logan.
Depot Veteran's Museum
This restored railroad depot houses memorabilia from all wars. Outside is a Southern Illinois Miners Memorial dedicated to coal miners of the region.
The Varsity Center for the Arts
What started as a single-screen movie house in 1940 has become a power house for live music and community theater. This gorgeous theater is one of the greatest components to Carbondale's thriving art & culture scene, as it serves as home to the Jackson County Stage Company, which presents several plays during the year, and hosts the weekly Friday Night Film series. The Varsity serves as a venue for live entertainment during the Carbondale Rocks Revival, an annual city-wide music festival in addition to accommodating local and regional musicians during the year to bring the city exceptional entertainment.