Showing 1-17 of 17 items found in History
John Deere Harvester Works Combine Factory Tours
Tour Deere & Companies largest combine factory and Visitors Center. Minimum age 13, closed toe shoes required, tours subject to availability and factory production schedules. Watch combines made from beginning to end. Watch them dipped in the famous green paint and watch workers and machines create these amazing agricultural machines. To Schedule a tour call 800-765-9588. Tours are Monday through Friday at 8 a.m., 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. by appointment. Tours are guided and take place aboard motorized vehicles.
CITY: East Moline
Walldogs Mural: Welcome to Kewanee
In the summer of 2013, a collective of artists, called the Walldogs, came to Kewanee, IL to paint 15 historic murals depicting the long history and heritage of the city. These paintings can be found on many downtown facades, as well as at the Amtrak Station that brings new people to the area, every day. About this mural: Kewanee was founded in May of 1854, when the Military Tract Railroad was routed to the north of Wethersfield. The town founders were from Wethersfield Township to the south, Sylvester Blish, Ralph Tenney, Henry Little and Sullivan Howard, plus Nelson Lay from Wisconsin. Colonel Berrian, civil engineer who supervised the laying of the track through this area, was asked to choose a name and he decided on “Kewanee,” a Winnebago Indian word for “prairie chicken.” In 1921, Wethersfield’s 2,000 people asked to be annexed to Kewanee with its 16,000. That 18,000 would turn out to be Kewanee’s peak population.
Bishop Hill State Historic Site
Four historically significant buildings are owned by the State of Illinois and are maintained as part of the Bishop Hill State Historic Site. These architectural treasures are the two-story Colony Church (1850), the three-story Colony Hotel (1852-ca. 1860), the Boys Dormitory (ca. 1850), and the Colony Barn (mid-1850s) that has been relocated behind the Hotel. In addition, the central village park contains a reconstructed gazebo and war monuments. On the south edge of the village, stands a new brick Museum to house a comprehensive collection of paintings by colonist and self-taught artist, Olof Krans (1838-1916). Hours and days of operation change with the season. Please call to confirm your visit.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Andover Historical Museum & Grounds
This former home of August Rehnstrom was a temporary haven for Swedish immigrants in the 1860s. The lawn features the bell from the area's first two-story school and millstones from the historic Edwards River Mill.
Henry County Courthouse
One of Illinois' finest examples of courthouse architecture, this stately structure was built in 1878. The main courtroom ceiling is decorated with murals depicting the principal communities of the county.
Bishop Hill Arts Council
Return to the serenity of an earlier time with a visit to this restored Swedish village. See traditional craftsmen at work, explore our museums, visit our numerous and unique shops and dine in one of our Swedish-American restaurants.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Geneseo Historical Museum
The museum is housed in a historic home that features 27 rooms displaying exhibits that include a general store, dentist office, children's room and thousands of local artifacts.
Asa Crook Home
The Asa Crook Home is the first frame house built in 1839 by Whiteside County's first settler. The restored home is open for tours.
Atkinson Historical Society Museum
This historical society museum has diplays and entertaining stories about the people and history of Atkinson, the Hennepin Canal, Rolle Bolle and Henry County.
Henry County Historical Museum
This museum's detailed exhibits include a one-room schoolhouse, doctor's and dentist's offices, the war room, restored ag implements, machinery, an authentic windmill and a hog house.
CITY: Bishop Hill
Civil War Monument
This monument features a statue of a Civil War soldier.
Ronald Reagan Birthplace & Museum
This quaint apartment, featuring the bedroom where the President was born, restored and decorated to its original 1900's style, sits on the second floor at the site of the First National Bank which has also been restored. Next door is a gift store and museum of Reagan memorabilia.
American Woman's League Chapter House
Built in 1911 and listed in the National Register of Historic Sites, this house is now owned by the Andover Historical Society. Was built as one of nine Woman's League Chapter Houses in the state of Illinois, features stylistic characteristics of the arts and crafts movement.
Wiley House Museum
The museum contains photos, paintings and artrifacts about Galva and the surrounding area.
Jenny Lind Chapel
Andover's quaint chapel was endowed by the world-famous opera singer Jenny Lind. Built in 1850, this chapel is the "Mother Church" of the former Augustana Lutheran Synod of America.
Ryan's Historic Round Barn
Built in 1910 to house Dr. Ryan's 50-head herd of black angus show cattle, the barn features a farm implement museum on the main floor.
Tampico Area Historical Museum
This museum that focuses on the Tampico area features exhibits related to schools, agriculture, prominent families and businesses. Items on display include newspapers, funeral records and memorabilia.