Showing 1-24 of 40 items found in History
The Egyptian Theatre hosts film festivals, special movie screenings, and live entertainment events. This theatre is a 1929, fully restored Egyptian Art Deco movie palace and is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The Egyptian is also available for rentals, tours, weddings, graduations, parties and receptions. Capacity: 1,419 Raised stage with dressing room below; balcony and lobby space. - New Google Maps 360 tour of the theatre is now available http://bit.ly/1TJnAdb
Bea Gurler was nine years old when her father George moved his family into the house in 1893. Her cousins, the children of her father’s brother Henry, had been living since 1888 in the Ellwood Mansion. Everyone said it was magnificent. Bea’s parents George and Zillah, evidently shared a taste in homes that favored the elegance of simplicity. It was the unimposing yet dignified structure on Pine Street–where the back door was always open. George and Henry Gurler were both prominent businessmen, and joint owners of a number of dairies. They quickly became world-famous and respected by many dairy farmers. Bea eventually made it a goal of hers to renovate The Gurler House to be the home that she once new and loved. The Gurler House hosts an annual Folk Music Festival every summer, where people are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets to enjoy the music. While you are at The Gurler House, make sure to take a walk through their beautiful garden.
Come tour the Northern Illinois University, catch a show preformed by their Theatre or Dance department, or explore one of their Art Galleries. There is much to do on campus including their new Anthropology Museum, an Observatory, the Huskies Den or take in a game! Their Museums are free to visit, some fees may apply for shows or School of Music Concerts. There is never a dull moment on campus!
Two-story stone building built in 1860 by Abe Lincoln's cousin. Restored dry goods store houses a consignment shop featuring local artisans. Also national headquarters for the Lincoln Highway Assn.
Features 15 historic buildings that trace the history of Kendall County plus an 1819 Chicago Burlington & Quincy caboose, a fully-stocked general store, an 1840s schoolhouse, town hall, a working blacksmith shop, the Plano Train Depot, (c. 1850s) and Yorkville Firehouse (c. 1888).
View trains from the Union Pacific and BNSF railroads as they rush by the park pavilion and browse the railroad-themed gift shop.
The Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition presents 16 Interpretive Gazebos along the Lincoln Highway, a 179-mile National Scenic Byway in Northern Illinois. The DeKalb gazebo offers a unique and interactive way for visitors to learn the significance of the highway in DeKalb while enjoying stories of the early Lincoln Highway and its other Illinois communities.
Visitors from around the world enjoy researching highway information in this restored 1860 dry goods store built by Abe Lincoln's cousin. The Lincoln Highway Museum and Store is also housed inside.
Wild Bill Hickok, extensive photographic collection, memorabilia of yesteryear, and special exhibits.
Chaplin Creek is an evolving, full-scale historical restoration project depicting a prairie settlement typical of the mid-19th century. Several historically significant buildings and artifacts have been relocated here from the surrounding area. Photo courtesy of Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition
The memorials here are a tribute to veterans of the Vietnam War, Korean War, Gulf War and World War II. The war memorials are the only ones built in the U.S. by youth, constructed by Boy Scouts of Troop 312 Rochelle as Eagle Projects.
Built in 1876, this 19-room museum, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was the division headquarters for Illinois Central Railroad. The museum showcases local artifacts from Amboy and the surrounding area.
Air Classics is an aviation museum located at Aurora Municipal Airport - ARR where the aircraft actually fly. You can climb into the pilot's seat of a UH-1 Huey helicopter. The museum's collection includes aircraft, vehicles, uniforms and other aviation memorabilia from the 1930s to the present time. General Admission: Saturdays and Sundays 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Group Tours: Tuesdays through Fridays by appointment.
The Nehring Gallery is a space within DeKalb dedicated to promoting arts and culture. It is currently the home of the DeKalb Area Agricultural Heritage Association, an organization dedicated to preserving and sharing the storied history of agriculture in northern Illinois, through exhibits, educational programs and community outreach. Visit their website to see what exhibit is on display today!
Dedicated to preserving the history and heritage of the people, commerce, and industry of the Mendota area. Extensive photographic collection depicting over 100 years of Mendota area history. Three Western Cottage organs and a Carpenter organ manufactured in Mendota in late 1800s. Hume-Carnegie Museum Saturday & Sunday 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM 3/1 - 12/15; Union Depot Railroad Sat & Sun Noon to 4:00 PM, 3/1 – 12/15 Breaking the Prairie Museum by appointment. Office hours Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM.
Joseph Farwell Glidden's invention of one of the most widely-used types of barbed wire in 1873 helped change the history of the American West and had far-reaching impact throughout the world. His Homestead, a Victorian Mansion, in DeKalb, IL, is being preserved and restored by a not-for-profit organization founded in 1995. Both the home and the barn are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. We welcome your visit and encourage your membership!
The story of the Ellwood House reflects the central role of Isaac Ellwood in the development of the barbed wire industry in America. The magnificent estate is also a testimony to three generations of the Ellwood family whose tastes shaped the evolution of the house and grounds. As you visit Ellwood House you will be aware of the comfort and quality of workmanship. At the same time, you also sense the warmth and hospitality of a family home that was lived in for almost one hundred years. The Ellwood House provides historical tours of the grand Victorian and are approximately one hour tour times. Tours are available for teachers, students, groups, and families. Capacity: 80-100
Dating back to 1855, the chapel is Kendall County's oldest church building, adorned with stained glass windows and a restored 1899 pipe organ. The adjacent hall houses local artifacts, including photographs and clothing.
The Joiner History Room is a cooperative effort of the DeKalb County Board, the County Judiciary, the County Clerk’s Office, the County Facilities Management Office, Sycamore Library and DeKalb County Citizens concerned with safeguarding their historical documents. The Joiner History Room is an archives that has many items of museum quality. Our historical materials date back to the hand written minutes of the first session of the County Commissioners in 1837. As there has never been a fire to destroy any of the county valuable historical files, they have been meticulously preserved to meet the needs of today’s researchers. The collection includes Civil War papers, newspaper files, old photographs and numerous boxes of manuscript materials.
In 1977, the Kishwaukee Valley Heritage Society was formed to bring together area people who had an interest in local and regional history and its preservation.
The Bliss House Museum is operated by the Sugar Grove Historical Society and houses historical exhibits about the village of Sugar Grove and surrounding area. Anyone interested in researching their heritage, may contact the museum for access to probate and civil records dating 1839 - 1955. Hours: Open every Tuesday 1-4 pm or by appointment.
Selected by Warner Bros to represent Smallville in the filming “Man of Steel”, Plano is now the home of the Smallville Museum. The museum collection contains a variety of props and other items used in the filming of the latest Superman movie.