Showing 1-24 of 35 items found in History
Virtually unaltered since its completion more than a century ago, the 57 room Mansion, built in 1874, is an example of high artistic achievement in architecture and interior design, and the site of historic accomplishments in industry, philosophy, publishing and religion. National Historic Landmark.
The LaSalle County Historical Society’s museum lies on the north side of the historic Illinois and Michigan Canal, itself a historical landmark. The museum building, erected in 1848 during the presidency of Zachary Taylor, is a beautifully restored sandstone building that was originally a granary and warehouse. The two-story building has walls of sandstone blocks between 18 and 32 inches thick, quarried in Utica, and secured with hydraulic cement of the same kind used in the construction of the I&M Canal. James Clark, the man who commissioned the building, came to Utica in 1833, where he became a land squatter. In 1842 he became a contractor on the I&M Canal and in 1845 he bought the local cement mill. He made it a huge commercial success by selling the cement to the canal contractors and the general public. The cement was used in many parts of the canal.
The library was originally built in 1896 as a carriage house, and later transformed into a treatment and recreation building for the Keeley Institute, a well-known alcohol rehab center in the late 1800s.
Founded in 1872, Ellis Hardware is Illinois' Oldest Family Owned Hardware Store. Ellis Ace Hardware, Rental and RadioShack received the Illinois Historical Society"s Centennial Award in the fall of 2009. At Ellis' you're a neighbor, not just a number. We have over 30 departments with brands you love like Stihl, Toro, Craftsman, Weber and so much more! M-F 8:00am - 8:00pm, Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday 9:00am- 4:00pm. Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/ellisace & twitter at twitter.com/ellisace & Instagram #ellishardware.
Built in 1857, this church is a fine example of Carpenter Gothic Architecture. Pointed arched windows and doors as well as board and batten frame construction characterize this style. King Edward VII worshipped at the church in 1860, while on a hunting expedition in the area. The church was named as one of the “150 Architectural Treasures” in the State of Illinois by the Association of Illinois Architects in 2007, and is listed on the National Historic Register.
The Windmill was built in 1896 to supply water for the Oughton estate and grounds, which later became home of the Keeley Institute, an alcohol rehab center.
The restored railroad depot, designed by Henry Ives Cobb, is now the home of the Dwight Historical Society and is still an operating Amtrak train station.
Built in the 1850's, this home welcomed Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Among the many connections Pontiac has to Abraham Lincoln, one of the most interesting revolves around Lincoln's friendship with local attorney, Jason W. Strevell. Strevell was born in New York and migrated to Illinois in 1855. He was admitted to the Illinois bar that same year, and began his practice in Pontiac. He was involved in his legal practice here for twenty-four years. He served in the Illinois House of Representatives, and also had one term as a Senator. The house is currently being restored by the Livingston County Historical Society.
The earliest remaining elevator along the canal that was fully operational during the canal's heyday. Built in 1862, the grain elevator allowed farmers to unload their grain locally instead of hauling it to the market by wagon.
Displays include 19th-century clothing, music room, local artifacts, and many photographs depicting Streatorland history.
A museum established to promote and preserve the history of the Ottawa area and the colorful and proud traditions of Boy/Girl Scouting and Camp Fire. Features national traveling exhibits from museums and libraries. Open Thursday-Monday 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, Closed on Holidays.
LaSalle County history including Native American artifacts in an I & M Canal era warehouse, plus a blacksmith shop, a one room school and pioneer farm equipment.
The Yost house was built in 1898 by Z.F. Yost. The museum portrays the life of an upper-middle class family during the late 1800s and early 1900s.
A museum to promote and preserve the colorful and proud traditions of Boy/ Girl Scouting and Campfire.
Long associated with the rich and famous, Weber House sits in an English garden of meandering paths, hollyhocks and old oaks. Inside cozy candlelit rooms reflect the 18th century.
One of Ottawa's greatest treasures. Built in 1858, this three story, 22-room Italianate mansion was possibly the most expensive private home in Illinois at that time. Tours available 6 days a week - 11am to 3pm. Closed Tuesdays & major holidays.
Located on the square in downtown Ponitac, the courthouse was built in 1875 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Abraham Lincoln tried some of his earlier cases here.
This circa 1940s Texaco station was once a thriving service station but now serves as a Route 66 welcome center. The station is listed on the National Register of Historice Places and has been awarded fundng through the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program to be restored to look like it did in the 1940s.
Although Odell's Standard Oil Gas Station no longer sells gasoline, it has become a welcome center for the Village of Odell. Owned by the Village of Odell, the station is open daily 11:00am to 3:00pm for tours and as a visitor center.
Open 7 days a week to service the traveling public. The Ottawa Visitors Center is your one stop shop for information on the Starved Rock Areas special events, lodging, and outdoor activities. Stroll our turn-of-the-century Old Town with its lush walkways, boutique shops and unique restaurants. Stop here for your "Scenic Route to the Rock."
Exhibit featuring the history of outdoor sign and mural art. Videos, drawings, and artifacts tell the story of advertising art. Art work for sale. The International Walldog Mural & Sign Art Exhibit is dedicated to the preservation and appreciation of the outdoor wall advertising signs painted in the days before electronic mass media. The painters who created those early signs called themselves "Walldogs." The displays which are found at the museum tell the history of the early sign painters who created their art on the sides of brick buildings, barns, and other structures. Examples of those early signs can still be seen throughout the Midwest and, though faded, peeling, and sometimes barely readable, these "ghost signs" remain an important part of our collective cultural and commercial history.
Situated along the historical old route 66, this small town restaurant is authentic and rich with history. Opened in 1926 by Joe & Victor Seloti it still contains the knotty pine walls that were crafted from cedar telephone poles. Stop by to enjoy classic home cooking and take a step back in time.
Be sure to stop by and pick up local Pontiac and tourist information for area attractions, dining, coupons and shopping. Located inside the Route 66 Hall of Fame and Museum building.