Showing 1-24 of 271 items found in History
Wreaths Across America
This National program began some 15 years ago in a effort Remember the fallen, honor those who serve, and teach our children the value of freedom. All 530 veterans graves in the Alton National Cemetery will be decorated with balsam wreaths for the holiday season. Take part in an emotional ceremony sure to bring both pride and joy to those in attendance.
The History Museum
Quincy's original public library, now home to Quincy area artifacts, a stained glass gallery, gift shop and Mormon City of Refuge display. Open Tues-Fri. 10-4pm, Sat 10-5pm.
Woodland Palace at Francis Park
A must-see attraction in Kewanee is the Woodland Palace at Francis Park, the first “green” home in Illinois. This unusual home was built way ahead of its time and is filled with engineering wonders. Learn about the quirky and eccentric man who built and lived in the home. Fred Francis was an artist, poet, inventor, builder, mathematician, engineer, and a naturist. Francis started to build the home in 1890 and worked on it for the next thirty-six years. It features hand-carved molding, a water purification system, and is the first house in the state of Illinois to have air-conditioning without the aid of electricity. View the sophisticated achievements of disappearing windows, doors, and more. Visit a home where everything seems to work in harmony. Woodland Palace is open seven days a week from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. April through October 1.
Bishop Hill Steeple Building
Take a look back in history and visit the Steeple building, built in 1854. Architecturally intriguing it is a three-story stucco Greek Revival structure with a two-story tower and 66 six-over-six windows. It was built to be used as a hotel, but instead was used as a dwelling, school, administration building, and later housed a bank, telephone switchboard and apartments. The museum is home to the Bishop Hill Heritage Asssociation offices. The rooms and exhibit showcase historic artifacts and photos of early Colony days and take visitors back through time to a quaint prairie village. Group tours by appointment, small fee.
Swamp Bottom Railroad
This is an outdoor railroad using 1/2 inch scale G Gauge with over 1,000 feet of track in a 45 by 60 foot outdoor garden. We run trains modeled from the late 1800's to the present time with both freight and passenger trains. We concentrate on rail cars hauling coal, grain, alcohol, ballast, and various commodities. At any given running, you can see steam and diesel trains depending on the era we are running that day on the inner and outer tracks of this Garden. The engines have digital sound boards for realism.
1930's Ag Museum
This privately owned museum houses forty-two John Deere farm implements manufactured in the late 1920's through 1940. Showcased is a 1936 Model B John Deere Tractor, fully restored. The Ag Museum also features an antique horse equipment collection and period farm house furnishings, as well as equipment and hand tools found on a 1930's farmstead. All free of charge, open by appointment, located on the northern edge of Quincy.
Kewanee Historical Society
Founded in 1976, the group maintains the Kewanee Historical Society's Robert and Marcella Richards Museum, featuring numerous exhibits highlighting the colorful history of Kewanee. Open, May 1st to October 1st Thursday & Saturday, 1:30PM-4:00PM Open Everyday Labor Day Weekend
Old Settlers’ Day and Colony School Reunion
Celebrate the 169th anniversary of the Bishop Hill Colony and the 119th year of the Old Settler’s Association. Enjoy a traditional chicken dinner, the High Society Band Concert and program featuring Bishop Hill Colony descendants’ speakers. Sunday a reunion of students and teachers from the Bishop Hill Colony School takes place and memories are shared. Hours: 11:30 am to 3 pm.
Metamora Court House Museum
The Metamora Courthouse was built in 1845 and served as the center of county government until the county seat was moved to Eureka in 1896. It is one of two surviving courthouses on the historic Eighth Judicial Circuit traveled by Abraham Lincoln. In 1978 the Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places. The first floor of the two-story brick structure contains a central hall flanked by two exhibit rooms, one displaying artifacts of early local history, the other with exhibits describing the 1850s court system and Lincoln's life on the Eighth Judicial Circuit. On the second floor, the former courtroom and two small chambers are furnished to represent the era during which Lincoln practiced law.
Little White Church on the Hill Celebration Chapel
This restored 1894 country church boasts stained glass, original pews, pine flooring and authentic lighting. The outdoor chapel includes a cobblestone walk and wedding dove benches.
Ryan's Round Barn
Tour this centennial barn, one of the largest in the country and one of forty-two left in the State of Illinois. It stands 80 feet high and 85 feet in diameter and features a 16-foot diameter floor to ceiling silo. A farm implement museum in on the main floor. Tours are provided by Friends of Johnson’s Park Foundation and groups of ten or more asked to call ahead. Open the first, third, and fifth Saturday beginning May through October. Hours: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Carthage Jail & Visitor's Center
Built of native yellow limestome from 1839-1841, this was the site where Mormon leader, Joseph Smith Jr. and his brother were killed by an angry mob on June 27, 1844, resulting in the Mormons' famous trek west that led to the founding of Salt Lake City, UT.
John Wood Mansion
The Mansion is the restored home of Quincy's founder and the twelfth Governor of Illinois. It's one of the Midwest's finest existing examples of Greek Revival architecture. Also on the grounds are the History Museum & Visitor's Center houses a gift shop (Quincy's History Shop) & The Lincoln Gallery.
This 7,000 lb, 15 ft, 8-sided section of a communnications tower that supported a television broadcasting antenna and a 5lb, 1 ft piece of the antenna were located on World Trade Center Tower One when it was attacked on September 11, 2001. The antenna was designed and manufactured by Harris Corporation at its Quincy plant.
Kibbe Hancock Heritage Museum
This impressive collection includes Civil War and Indian artifacts, fashion items circ 1840-1920, fossils, rocks, geodes and other historic Hancock County aritfacts. New to the museum are the Funeral Customs display and the "Lincoln: Making of the Man" display. The majority of the collection was generously donate by Dr. Alice Kibbe.
Lewis Seed Company
The Lewis Seed Company presents seed processing and sales operations during group tours.
This beautifully restored home has cobalt blue windows. Tours by appointment and open for special events.
Savanna Museum and Cultural Center
This 3 story historic building contains artifacts telling the story of this Mississippi River community. Noteworthy displays include over 80 mannequins dressed in authentic Civil War uniforms, native son & famous big-band musician Wayne King memorabilia, railroad artifacts and running model RR layout Savanna Ordnance Depot artifacts and much more.
Pere Marquette Historic Site
This historical marker honors Father Pere Marquette.
The Flower Shop- Java House
The Flower Shop- Java House is located on the North side of the historic Carthage Square. The Flower Shop carries a full array of flowers and gifts for any occasion. The Java House offers coffee, lattes, teas and smoothies in a homey relaxed atmosphere.
Western Illinois Museum
See a regional collection of artifacts, historical documents and memorabilia representing Western Illinois history.
This turn-of-the-century Victorian house was ordered through the Sears Roebuck catalog and assembled for only several hundred dollars.
Nauvoo Temple & Grounds
The Nauvoo Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was recently rebuilt in Nauvoo, one of the early settlements of the Mormon people. The structure is 150 feet tall and overlooks the Mississippi River. The temple was reconstructed on the site of the original temple which was built from 1841-1846, but later destroyed by arson after the Mormons left Nauvoo. Sacred ordinances are performed daily in the Nauvoo Temple, therefore the building is not available for tourist visits. The beautiful gardens and grounds are open to the public, located just north of the temple. The temple Information Cernter presents a free 14-minute virtual tour.
Brussels Historic Village Jail
Once known as the local "calaboose", the Brussels Jail was built around 1876 and centered in the heart of the village. The jail mainly housed men overnight for drinking too much and the last person to stay in the jail was in 1952. The jail is open seven days a week.