Showing 1-29 of 29 items found in History
The LaSalle County Historical Society’s museum lies on the north side of the historic Illinois and Michigan Canal, itself a historical landmark. The museum building, erected in 1848 during the presidency of Zachary Taylor, is a beautifully restored sandstone building that was originally a granary and warehouse. The two-story building has walls of sandstone blocks between 18 and 32 inches thick, quarried in Utica, and secured with hydraulic cement of the same kind used in the construction of the I&M Canal. James Clark, the man who commissioned the building, came to Utica in 1833, where he became a land squatter. In 1842 he became a contractor on the I&M Canal and in 1845 he bought the local cement mill. He made it a huge commercial success by selling the cement to the canal contractors and the general public. The cement was used in many parts of the canal.
Built in 1856, the Stone Mill was originally used to produce flour. In 1965, the building was deeded to the Sandwich Historical Society. The building itself is a museum exhibit which includes the original beams and support posts made of 125 year old timber. The historical society first opened the museum to the public in 1969 and now includes three floors of exhibits. Among the exhibits are fire fighting equipment, antique car, furniture, signage, photos and many other items from the area's past. The museum is open every Sunday, 1-4pm during warm months (April to October).
The library was originally built in 1896 as a carriage house, and later transformed into a treatment and recreation building for the Keeley Institute, a well-known alcohol rehab center in the late 1800s.
Founded in 1872, Ellis Hardware is Illinois' Oldest Family Owned Hardware Store. Ellis Ace Hardware, Rental and RadioShack received the Illinois Historical Society"s Centennial Award in the fall of 2009. At Ellis' you're a neighbor, not just a number. We have over 30 departments with brands you love like Stihl, Toro, Craftsman, Weber and so much more! M-F 8:00am - 8:00pm, Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday 9:00am- 4:00pm. Follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/ellisace & twitter at twitter.com/ellisace & Instagram #ellishardware.
Museum hours of operation are Thursday, Friday & Saturday 10 AM to 3 PM. Call in advance for guided tours (48 hour notice). The museum has extensive Mazon Fossils, a replica of an early 1890 store, a replica of a 1900 living room as well as a 'tool shed' showing many of the early tools used by pioneers and early farmers. There are many other exhibits as well.
This memorial commemorates the 1834 settlement at Norway, the first permanent Norwegian settlement in the Midwest. The monument was dedicated as part of a 1934 centennial celebration.
Built in 1857, this church is a fine example of Carpenter Gothic Architecture. Pointed arched windows and doors as well as board and batten frame construction characterize this style. King Edward VII worshipped at the church in 1860, while on a hunting expedition in the area. The church was named as one of the “150 Architectural Treasures” in the State of Illinois by the Association of Illinois Architects in 2007, and is listed on the National Historic Register.
Selected by Warner Bros to represent Smallville in the filming “Man of Steel”, Plano is now the home of the Smallville Museum. The museum collection contains a variety of props and other items used in the filming of the latest Superman movie.
The Windmill was built in 1896 to supply water for the Oughton estate and grounds, which later became home of the Keeley Institute, an alcohol rehab center.
Dating back to 1855, the chapel is Kendall County's oldest church building, adorned with stained glass windows and a restored 1899 pipe organ. The adjacent hall houses local artifacts, including photographs and clothing.
The restored railroad depot, designed by Henry Ives Cobb, is now the home of the Dwight Historical Society and is still an operating Amtrak train station.
The earliest remaining elevator along the canal that was fully operational during the canal's heyday. Built in 1862, the grain elevator allowed farmers to unload their grain locally instead of hauling it to the Chicago market by wagon.
Displays include 19th-century clothing, music room, local artifacts, and many photographs depicting Streatorland history.
A museum established to promote and preserve the history of the Ottawa area and the colorful and proud traditions of Boy/Girl Scouting and Camp Fire. Features national traveling exhibits from museums and libraries. Open Thursday-Monday 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, Closed on Holidays.
October brings pumpkins, hayrides, corn maze, train rides, farm animals, and fun. Also come see our Civil war reenactment the third weekend in October. Warrior Dash Midwest in June. On site gift shop.
LaSalle County history including Native American artifacts in an I & M Canal era warehouse, plus a blacksmith shop, a one room school and pioneer farm equipment.
A museum to promote and preserve the colorful and proud traditions of Boy/ Girl Scouting and Campfire.
One of Ottawa's greatest treasures. Built in 1858, this three story, 22-room Italianate mansion was possibly the most expensive private home in Illinois at that time. Tours available 6 days a week - 11am to 3pm. Closed Tuesdays & major holidays.
Long associated with the rich and famous, Weber House sits in an English garden of meandering paths, hollyhocks and old oaks. Inside cozy candlelit rooms reflect the 18th century.
This circa 1940s Texaco station was once a thriving service station but now serves as a Route 66 welcome center. The station is listed on the National Register of Historice Places and has been awarded fundng through the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program to be restored to look like it did in the 1940s.
Features 15 historic buildings that trace the history of Kendall County plus an 1819 Chicago Burlington & Quincy caboose, a fully-stocked general store, an 1840s schoolhouse, town hall, a working blacksmith shop, the Plano Train Depot, (c. 1850s) and Yorkville Firehouse (c. 1888).
Open 7 days a week to service the traveling public. The Ottawa Visitors Center is your one stop shop for information on the Starved Rock Areas special events, lodging, and outdoor activities. Stroll our turn-of-the-century Old Town with its lush walkways, boutique shops and unique restaurants. Stop here for your "Scenic Route to the Rock."
Although Odell's Standard Oil Gas Station no longer sells gasoline, it has become a welcome center for the Village of Odell. Owned by the Village of Odell, the station is open daily 11:00am to 3:00pm for tours and as a visitor center.
The historic Two-Cell Jail was built in 1906. It has been restored by the community and holds a strong presence near Gardner's downtown area. Visitors are now encouraged to "go behind bars" and have their own photo taken.
A 20th century Kankakee streetcar was moved to Gardner in 1932 to serve as a diner. In 1937, the streetcar became a cottage and playhouse. It was moved behind the Riviera in 1955 and is still there today. It was restored ty the Route 66 Association of Illinois and inducted into the Route 66 Hall of Fame in 2001.
The Gemini Giant is a landmark statue on U.S. Route 66. The 30 foot tall statue is named after the Gemini space program and holds a silver "rocket ship" in his hands, while sporting an astronaut's space helmet that looks more like a welding mask.
The Polk-a-Dot Drive In was founded over 50 years ago has become one of the most memorable attractions along Illinois Route 66. Stop in and see the collection of memorabilia and enjoy a great meal.
On the bluffs of the Illinois River, this small but charming park is home to an enormous outdoor sculpture. Mounds representing five earthen sculptures molded from Illinois clay, known as Effigy Tumuli, invite visitors to walk around and explore. All five subjects, including a snake, turtle, catfish, frog and insect are native to the Illinois River area. This State Park offers the ideal terrain for the beginner hiker.
Seasonal waterfalls, awe-inspiring bluffs and rugged canyons dominate the storied landscape at Starved Rock. Rich with history and beauty, Starved Rock’s hiking trails meander through towering trees and scenic overlooks along the Illinois River. Outdoor activities include hiking, canoeing, paddle boat cruises, cross-country skiing, trolley rides, fishing and picnicking. Visitors can stay at the historic Starved Rock Lodge or in one of its cozy cabins.