Showing 1-79 of 79 items found in History
Visit Superman Square in Metropolis to have your picture taken with the 15-foot-tall statue of the Man of Steel. A statue of Lois Lane is located nearby. Across the street is the Super Museum, showcasing rare Superman memorabilia and selling superhero souvenirs.
The Super Museum houses the mythical caped hero from the big green planet. The museum is filled with a $2.5 billion collection spanning 60 years, honoring the most famous hero of all time.
Bob's Civil War Fort
Tucked away in the rolling hills of Germantown is a Civil War Fort. There is a jail, civil war cannons, a stage coach, a livery, log cabins, and much more.
Old Illinois Passenger Depot Railroad Museum
Built in 1903 by the Illinois Central Railroad, the Old Railroad Passenger Depot has since been restored and now serves as home to the Carbondale Train Museum. Filled with information, artifacts and souveniers, the museum contains significant facts relating to Carbondale's history. Ring the bell of an original train car from the Illinois Central Railroad, which still sits on the track!
Shryock Auditorium -- Southern Illinois University
SIUC's 1200-seat theater is located in the historic "old campus" and hosts every genre of performing arts. Constructed in 1918 and renovated in 1972, this magnificent facility is home to the Marianne Webb Pipe Organ, a 59-rank Reuter Pipe Organ.
American Fluorite Museum
The American Fluorite museum is located on the site of the Rosiclare Fluorspar and Mining Co., which was once the largest fluorspar mining company in the U.S. It features photographs, ore specimens, mining paraphernalia and colorful dioramas.
Americana Hollywood Museum
An amazing tribute to America's most famous Hollywood icons, features life-size figures, wardrobes, costumes, movie props, posters, dolls, statues and celebrity collectibles from around the world. Americana Hollywood is a museum dedicated to Hollywood of yesterday and today. Located 2 blocks from Harrah’s Casino you will find collections from Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, Pamela Anderson and Angelina Jolie, just to name a few. Come stroll through the outdoor statues and have your picture taken with the Blues Brothers or on the set of a Western ghost town. There is so much to see and do at this museum!
Historic Town Square & Downtown Carbondale
Twenty-five historic buildings ring Carbondale's nostalgic Town Square. When Daniel Harmon Brush, Carbondale's founding father, filed the original 56-acre plat of Carbondale in 1852, almost 10 acres were left open in the center of town. Today you can shop charming locally owned boutiques here, ranging from bike shops to furniture stores.
The African American Museum of Southern Illinois
Permanent exhibits here include African art collections and slave artifacts. Rotating displays have included Underground Railroad message quilts and local artwork. The museum's changing exhibits seek to portray the outstanding achievements of African American citizens.
Located at Lincoln Memorial Park, visitors can "Walk Where Lincoln Walked" by following the presidents footsteps from Jonesboro Square to the park.
Saline Creek Pioneer Village
This fascinating pioneer village includes the original Saline County Pauper Farm (now a three-story museum), an old jail, an 1859 one-room schoolhouse, the Cain Church, several 1800s log cabins, a barn and country store.
Lincoln Memorial Park
Site of one of the historic Lincoln-Douglas Debates, this park features picnic shelters, walking paths and hiking trails.
Fort Massac State Park
State park and historic site. October's big Fort Massac Encampment and several other living history event weekends scheduled throughout the year bring the past to life for American history buffs. The visitor center offers exhibits, information & a short film.
Curtis House Museum
Built in 1870 by Major Elijah P Curtis after the Civil War. The woodwork and other features of the home are unusual.
Kincaid Mounds Archaeological Site is 4 miles south of Unionville Road on New Cut Road, Brookport, IL Kincaid Mounds State Historic Site is a nationally significant Native-American archaeological treasure. From about 800 AD to 1500 AD it was the ‘capital' of a chiefdom that stretched from Brookport to Hamletsburg along the Ohio River. Large flat-topped mounds were erected on which the houses and temples of civil and religious elite stood. Today, the mounds still exist and a constructed overlook platform and interpretive panels tell the story of the significant contribution and historical value of this Native American culture.
Illinois Iron Furnace
Step back to Civil War days when "pig iron" was smelted at this, the first coal-fired iron furnace in Illinois, now on the National Register of Historic Places. Restored structure is in a beautiful park with fishing, hiking, and picnicking available.
Dr. Poos Home - Heritage House Museum
Built in 1888, this home was occupied by Dr. Robert Poos, a local practitioner and druggist. Dr. Poos was also the staff physician at the Springs Hotel and Bath House, later known as the Okawville Original Springs Hotel.
A World War I memorial stature, “The Spirit of The American Dough Boy” was dedicated on September 6, 1927 following its acquisition through a project sponsored jointly by the local American Legion and VFW Posts. The solider is forever immortalized in statue form, seen is his war apparel and stance. The Dough Boy is a symbol of freedom and remembrance of those who fought for our land.
Campground Cumberland Church
Presbyterian church in continuous operation since 1850 and the site of a winter encampment during the Trail of Tears. Only site certified by state of Illinois and Cherokee Nation.
Union County Musuem
General museum featuring local history, Kirkpatrick Pottery, Native American artifacts, pioneer items and other unique collections.
Constructed in 1857 as the southern division of the Illinois State Supreme Court, Abraham Lincoln successfully argued a famous tax case in 1859. In 1888, Clara Barton used the building as a hospital. Tours are available. Please call in advance.
John A. Logan College Museum and Gallery
Named after Civil War General John A. Logan, the college combines modern architecture and a beautiful park-like setting. Memorabilia of General Logan and his wife, Mary, are on display in the museum and art gallery at the college.
Situated at the base of the Ohio River bluffs, this two-story log structure, built in 1840, has been continuously occupied by generations of one family for 146 years. It was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1976.
General Dean Suspension Bridge
Located just outside the city of Carlyle, this historic 130-year-old bridge is one of the oldest suspension bridges in the area. The original bridge served as a crossing over the Kaskaskia River.
Ratcliff Inn Museum
1828 Stagecoach Inn -- Abe Lincoln stayed here as he was campaigning. White County artifacts also on display.
Williamson County Historical Museum
Located in an historic brick building in Marion, the museum features artifacts, antiques, and records of a bygone era. 17 rooms contain exhibits, including an old-fashioned school room. Tours may be arranged through the Marion Chamber of Commerce.
Ingram's Pioneer Log Cabin Village
Pre-Civil War log structures rescued from destruction by the Ingrams. Many of the 17 homes and other buildings are furnished with authentic pieces and open to the public. Visit Jacob's Well Inn, frequented by Abraham Lincoln.
Civil War Fort
Visit an exact replica of a Civil War Fort complete with a jail, one-room home, livery, and log cabins.
The Varsity Center for the Arts
What started as a single-screen movie house in 1940 has become a power house for live music and community theater. This gorgeous theater is one of the greatest components to Carbondale's thriving art & culture scene, as it serves as home to the Jackson County Stage Company, which presents several plays during the year, and hosts the weekly Friday Night Film series. The Varsity serves as a venue for live entertainment during the Carbondale Rocks Revival, an annual city-wide music festival in addition to accommodating local and regional musicians during the year to bring the city exceptional entertainment.
In 1779 George Rogers Clark led his army from Kaskaskia through this area to Vincennes, Indiana, where they captured Ft. Sackville from the British. At the time, this building was named for being near the midpoint of the Vincennes-St. Louis Trail.
The original wooden cross was erected in 1850 by a farmer in thanksgiving for his family being spared during a cholera epidemic. Subsequent owners of the property have repaired and replaced it.
Tour one of the oldest brick buildings in Illinois, now a two-story museum with pioneer furnishings, documents and historic memorabilia. A Lewis & Clark historical marker is also located in Shawneetown.
Jefferson County Historical Village
Experience the past as you walk through a pioneer village of authentic log cabins featuring a calaboose (circa 1820), the Mount Olive Church (circa 1873), a one room school house and more.
John Marshall House Museum
The third oldest brick building in Illinois and the first bank before Illinois was a state. This 2-story museum, only steps away from the Ohio River, displays pioneer furnishings, documents, photos and historic memorabilia.
Brehm Memorial Library
An extensive collection of genealogical materials offers visitors an opportunity to research local Mt. Vernon history.
Coal Miners Monument
Joseph Koch, who along with eight other local miners died in a mine explosion in 1947, is depicted here.
Clinton County Historical Museum
This building was the former home of Judge Sidney Breese, who came to Illinois from New York. He studied law here and became Assistant Secretary of the State of Illinois.
Southern Illinois University Animal Science & Nutritional Department
Southern Illinois University Carbondale offers guided field trips of its farms, conducted by student agri-ambassadors.
General John A Logan Museum
General John A. Logan (1826-1886) is the most significant nineteenth century native Illinoisian. Creator of Memorial Day, he's named in the state song with Lincoln and Grant. The General John A Logan Museum's mission is designed to interpret the the turbulent life and times of Logan.
The Vault Cafe on the Square
The Vault Café on the Square is located in a 100-yr-old historic 5-story building in downtown Marion, IL. The café is located on the first floor in what used to be a bank. The vault is still there, and we have seating for four inside of it! Seating is first come/first serve, but feel free to request it with the hostess!
Harrison/Bruce Historical Village
The Robert L. Mees Village Centre serves as the hub of the Harrison/Bruce Historical Village by providing a venue for College and community events. Historical buildings include: The Purdy School, a one-room public school in Perry County, IL from 1860-1951. The Julia Harrison Bruce House, a replica of the house the house that was built in 1868 by David Ruffin Harrison. The Harrison Storefront, this "double dog trot" style log cabin is a replica of the cabin the David Ruffin Harrison family occupied prior to the construction of the brick, "Harrison House". And The Hunter Cabin, Emmanuel Hunter built the Hunter Log Cabin in 1818; the year Illinois became a state.
Centralia Historical Society Museum
Centerpieces of the collection are newspapers and memorabilia from the coal mining days with tributes to railroad history.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this chapel was built in 1918 with a donation from former Marion mayor Leroy Goddard. It is still used for weddings and other events, this chapel is one of the beautiful historic places to see in Williamson County.
Centralia's resident carilloneur performs on the town's 65-bell carillon, one of the few in the country. The surrounding park also features a museum and tours of the 165-foot-tall tower.
Centralia Area Historical Museum
Artifacts, pictures of coal mining, railroading, business, farming in and around Centralia. A work in progress by the Centralia Area Historical Society to preserve the past of Marion County.
Franklin County Jail Museum
This restored 1905 jail museum was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. It is near Rend Lake and features displays on General John A. Logan, The Beatles' George Harrison, actor John Malkovich, baseball star Doug Collins and Charlie Birger, the last convicted criminal to be hanged in Illinois. Only 5 miles of Rend Lake.
Albion Public Library
Established in 1819, the oldest public library in Illinois houses many original books brought here by English settlers.
The University Museum
The Museum has a collection of over 52,000 objects. It houses an art collection and a collection of prehistoric, historic, and scientific objects. One of the permanent and very popular exhibits is the "W.P.A. Pioneer Dioramas", which were created by local craftsmen employed at the Museum during the Works Progress Administration, 1938-1942. It has six galleries, an archive, Museum Gift Shop, and a 100-seat auditorium.
Right in the middle of Energy you will find Bruce Park. A nicely manicured 8 acre park with trees, pavilions, ball diamonds and soccer fields. The park is a great place to take your family on an outing or for your kids to participate in local sports. While you are there, take a look at the military memorial. There is also a monument with the bell from a schoolhouse that stood on the site.
Franklin County Garage and Auto Museum
Only 5 miles south of Rend Lake, this old 1910 Ford garage has been restored to its original condition and now displays vintage cars, Beatles and Charlie Birger, (the last convicted criminal to be hanged in Illinois) memorabilia.
Heritage House Museum
Three properties -- Dr. Poos Home & Medical Museum; the Frank Schlosser Home, which includes a turn-of-the-century house, barn, harness shop, and commercial laundry; and the Joseph Schlosser Home -- make up the Museum complex.
Depot Veteran's Museum
This restored railroad depot houses memorabilia from all wars. Outside is a Southern Illinois Miners Memorial dedicated to coal miners of the region.
U.S. Congressman Ken Gray Presidential Museum
Opened in 2010, this 3000 square foot space is located in the Illinois Star Centre Mall. It keeps mall hours and is staffed by volunteers. Admission is free and the museum is stocked with items from Ken Gray's Congressional period as well as items he has collected from other congressmen and women.
Family oriented restaurant. Dine in or carry out. Plate lunches, dinners, and specials every night. Historical building dating back to 1927.
Coal Miners Memorial
In the late eighteen hundreds there were many thriving communities that were totally dependent on area coal mines. Now there is a Memorial to honor all miners. Dedicated on October 14th, 2000, the Coal Miners Memorial is a tribute to all Southern Illinois coal miners of the past century. The inscription at the base of the statue reads, “In memory of coal miners who gave so much that future generations may benefit with a better life. They labored, served their country, sacrificed for their families and some lost their lives. We honor and salute them so that they will never be forgotten.”
Frankfort Area Historical Museum
The former two-story brick Logan School is now a museum featuring area mining history, memorabilia from 1802-1976, a genealogy library, and the Red Geranium Tea Room that serves homemade lunch.
The Presidential Hall of Fame Museum
Former Congressman Ken Gray's collection of over 12,000 items includes campaign memorabilia, photos and documents from former presidents and dignitaries, 1,000 original dolls, videos, four cars driven by the congressman and much more.
Jefferson County Historical Village
Authentic log structures. Historic memorabilia from the area are carefully preserved and displayed at the village. Open from the first weekend in May through the last weekend in October
Stinson Memorial Library
The library was named for Civil War veteran Robert B. Stinson, who left his estate for the establishment of a library. The building was the work of Walter B. Griffin, who designed it in a Frank Lloyd Wright style.
Jackson County Historical Center
The museum has expanded, adding about 1,000 square feet to its headquarters building for more exhibit area. Included in its displays is a pump organ, a collection of early cameras, a display of Daniel Grocery Store items, and many textile items, military uniforms, 1850-era Chandler Printer Press and county courthouse records containing hundreds of files available for genealogy study.The museum also has an exhibit of women's vintage clothing ranging from 1865-1970s and continues to add exhibits.
Willis Allen House
Civil War hero John A. Logan studied law at this home under Senator Willis Allen. Come visit the oldest house in Williamson County.
Washington County Historical Museum
Built in 1871 as a private residence, this building now holds hundreds of artifacts from the country including a display of period wedding dresses.
Carterville Heritage Museum
Opened in June 2011, the Carterville Heritage Museum is a beautifully renovated building showcasing architectural detail of the former 1924 area high school, hundreds of photo and memorabilia. It also serves as a gift shop, offering nostalgic custom-designed t-shirts, retro candy, gift baskets, a few antiques and popular hand-made cards made by community volunteers. It features books on the Tri-C community for sale, covering Cartervile, Cambria, & Crainville.
The Annex Coffee & Deli
The Annex Building, built in 1912, is at the very heart of Herrin, Illinois’ thriving downtown on Park Avenue. The former Annex Movie Theater was converted into a bakery café and opened on Halloween 2011. The Annex Coffee & Deli is committed to delivering the best coffee house & bakery café experience in a clean and stylish environment which recalls the glory days of the historic building in which it is housed.
The origin of Memorial Day can be traced to this cemetery, where in 1866 General John A. Logan organized the first post-Civil War service. More than 60 graves of Civil War soldiers are found here.
Moravian Church & Cemetery
The only Moravian church in the state was built by German settlers in Southern Illinois.
Mary Smith Fay Genealogy Library
Located in downtown Carmi, this extensive library and museum offers history and research services.
West Walnut Street Historic District
Registered as a National Historic District in May 1975. 54 historic residences are located here. Some homes date to early 1850's, most are early 20th-Century. Homes are private residences and are not open to the public.
Marion Carnegie Library
One of the few remaining Carnegie buildings is seated at the center of Williamson County. Originally built in 1916 and renovated in 1997, the library has the flavor of the early 20th century with the technology of today.
Carterville Veterans Memorial
The memorial is located next to the Heritage Museum downtown. It features plaques citing the names of WWI and WWII Veterans on one side and other wars featured on the opposite side. In a fitting tribute, the Veterans Memorial in downtown Carterville was dedicated on 11-11-11, Veterans Day.
William Jennings Bryan Museum
This 160-year old home has three rooms of original furniture, pictures and personal items once owned by politician William Jennings Bryan.
McCoy House Memorial Library
This majestic four-story Victorian home, built in 1884 by banker A.G. Cloud, sits next to the old bank of similar architectural style. The house is now a memorial library and museum decorated with beautiful furnishings and paintings.
This replica of the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall in Washington is 80% the size of the original. The wall features the names of soldiers who were killed or missing in action between 1955-1975, the time period of the Vietnam War.
Fallen Soldier Veterans Memorial Wall
Located on East Broadway in Johnston City, this memorial wall contains the names of local fallen heroes. A Memorial Day celebration is held in this location every year.
Herrin City Library
Herrin City Library is your community connection to print, video, audio, and online information around the world. Featuring the Herrin History Room, a growing collection of archival information about the City of Herrin and the Williamson County area. We also have some genealogical information about Herrin families. We have city directories and yearbooks for the Herrin Schools. We do have a large collection of Herrin newspapers on microfilm from the 1800s to about 1945.
Illinois State Museum - Southern Illinois Art Gallery
A museum gallery featuring theme-based exhibits of works created by past and contemporary Illinois artists and artisans. Less than 1 mile southeast of Rend Lake.
Veterans Military Museum Depot
The Veterans Museum Depot is a restored C&I railroad depot that is filled with memorabilia from the Civil War to Desert Storm. It has uniforms of all branches of service, a purple heart, horse saddles from World War I, insignia's & patches, gas masks, a World War II communication system and many other items on display. Many young boys of the Rend Lake area left from this very depot to go to war. On the West Frankfort Main Street just 10 miles south of Rend Lake.
Frankfort Area Historical Museum
Only 10 miles south of Rend Lake, the former two story brick Logan School is now a museum featuring area mining history, memorabilia from 1802-1976, a genealogy library, and the Red Geranium Tea Room that serves homemade lunch.
West Franklin County Museum
This museum, located in an old school building contains artifacts, memorabilia and hundreds of photographs, which depict lifestyles and the people from the early days of Franklin County. Only 10 miles southwest of Rend Lake. The museum is free to the public but they do accept donations.