Showing 97-111 of 111 items found in History
Located in the Nauvoo State Park next to the oldest vineyard of Nauvoo, this original brick home highlights an Abraham Lincoln room, quilt room, Icarian room, Victorian parlor, toy and doll antiques, summer kitchen and original underground arched wine cellar. View antiques of local families and churches. Most recent donations are Bibles, a spinning wheel, and the framed Lincoln prints of Lane K. Newberry.
Mount Pulaski Township Historical Museum & Research Center
This museum contains numerous artifacts and memorabilia from the Mt. Pulaski area, as well as Abraham Lincoln items and information.
CITY: Mount Pulaski
The 1840s Lamon House is believed to be the oldest framed residence in the Danville Area. The home was constructed by Joseph Lamon, cousin of Ward Hill Lamon, President Abraham Lincoln's law partner and presidential bodyguard. The Lamon House is open Sundays, 1:30 - 4:30 PM, throughout the summer and by appointment.
Lincoln The Debater Statue
This famous statue was designed by Leonard Crunelle of Chicago, and was presented to Freeport at the 71st anniversary of the Lincoln-Douglas Debate on August 27, 1929, by local industrialist W. T. Rawleigh. It is located in Taylor Park.
Mount Pulaski Heritage Wayside
This wayside interprets the career connection between Logan County and Abraham Lincoln.
CITY: Mount Pulaski
Emden Heritage Wayside
Located at the Emden Community Building, this sign interprets Logan County's proximity to Abraham Lincoln and his travels along the 8th Judicial Circuit
Voices of Jacksonville Audio Tour
Tune to radio frequencies at each of the seven locations throughout Jacksonville to see the actual places and hear the real stories of Abraham Lincoln as his friends and associates knew him.
Vandalia, Illinois is where Abraham Lincoln began his historical political career and his life and achievements are commemorated on the marker.
Stevenson Graves/Evergreen Cemetery
The graves of Adlai Stevenson I and Adlai Stevenson II are buried here, as are Letita Green Stevenson and her sister, Julia Green Scott.
U.S. Congressman Ken Gray Presidential Museum
Opened in 2010, this 3000 square foot space is located in the Illinois Star Centre Mall. It keeps mall hours and is staffed by volunteers. Admission is free and the museum is stocked with items from Ken Gray's Congressional period as well as items he has collected from other congressmen and women.
Built in 1845, this building served as the center of county government until the county seat was moved to Eureka in 1896. It is one of the two surviving courthouses on the historic 8th Judicial Circuit traveled by Abraham Lincoln. The Metamora Courthouse State Historic Site is open Tuesday thru Saturday, 1-5pm March through October and noon to 4pm November through February. It is also open by appointment and for most events on the Metamora Square. The courthouse is available for weddings, meetings and other private events.
The Presidential Hall of Fame Museum
Former Congressman Ken Gray's collection of over 12,000 items includes campaign memorabilia, photos and documents from former presidents and dignitaries, 1,000 original dolls, videos, four cars driven by the congressman and much more.
CITY: West Frankfort
Bryant Cottage was built in 1856 by Francis E. Bryant (1818-1889), a friend and political ally of Senator Stephen A. Douglas. According to Bryant family tradition, on the evening of July 29, 1858, Douglas and Abraham Lincoln conferred in the parlor of this house to plan the famous Lincoln-Douglas Debates. The picturesque one-story, four-room wood frame cottage has been “restored” and is interpreted as an example of a middle-class life in mid-nineteenth-century Illinois. The furniture on display is of the Renaissance Revival style, appropriate for a small-town family of the mid-nineteenth century. The cottage is accessible to persons with disabilities. The site hosts portions of a variety of locally sponsored events throughout the year.
Old Settler's Reunion
The Old Settler's Reunion will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and will include ribbons for Effingham County residents of over 30 years, awards, historic costumes and exhibits, live music, food and more. The Courthouse Museum will be open during this time.
Adlai E. Stevenson Historic Home
Adlai Stevenson II was an important and influential figure in the political history of the United States. Stevenson was Governor of Illinois from 1949 to 1953 and ran twice for President as the Democratic National Candidate in 1952 and 1956. He also served as Ambassador to the United Nations from 1961 - 1965. The grounds are open daily for self-guided tours. The peaceful setting allows visitors to experience the historic landscape similar to when the family lived in the house. The house has been designated a National Historic Landmark. Group tours can be arranged through the Forest Preserves - 847-968-3422.