Showing 193-288 of 306 items found in History
Elijah Iles House: Springfield's History Museum
Experience the historic Greek Revial-style house once owned by a founder of Springfield: Elijah Iles. It houses a permanent exhibit, Springfield as Urban Frontier 1818-1836.
Monticello Wabash Depot
Built in 1899, the restored depot is the departure point for a weekend afternoon train ride to the Monticello Railway Museum. It also serves as a visitor center for Monticello and Piatt County.
Macoupin County Jail
The historic 1869 Macoupin County Jail was designed by E.E. Meyers. It was built using the "cannon ball" method which prevented jail breaks by making it nearly impossible to remove the blocks. This unique medieval-inspired fortress housed many lawbreakers during its 119 years of use, but only one prisoner escaped. He was soon apprehended a few blocks from the jail.
Fairbury Echoes Museum
This local museum features a Fairbury Room and exhibits that change periodically. Open Wednesday and Fridays, or by appointment.
WWI Victory Memorial
This monument to Vermilion County's World War I veterans was sculpted by Lorado Taft. Its base displays the names of 51 area men who died in the war, and statues representing Red Cross nurses and each branch of the Armed Services guard the base.
Independence Pioneer Village
Visit this log home village from the early 1800s, including a blacksmith shop, church and schoolhouse.
Christian County Genealogical Society
The Genealogical Society is a research resource where you can find history on your family background, microfilm and microfiche, and books. The Society will also research your family for a donation.
Mount Pulaski Heritage Wayside
This wayside interprets the career connection between Logan County and Abraham Lincoln.
Lincoln Trail Memorial
This memorial commemorates the crossing of the Lincoln Family from Indiana to Illinois in early March of 1830.
Charleston Historic District
Downtown Charleston includes a historic courthouse and many historic homes listed on both the Coles County Register for Significant Places and the National Register of Historic Places.
Rossville Depot Railroad Museum
The Rossville Depot Railroad Museum features a collection of material from various railroads in East Central Illinois including the C&EI, Wabash, Illinois Terminal and NYC. The depot also includes a HO scale model railroad with over 1,000 feet of total track and 130 switches.
Christian County Coal Mine Museum
Featuring historical items pertaining to coal mining in Christian County, this museum includes coal mining equipment, memorabilia and more. Be sure to visit the coal miner monument on the courthouse lawn. Open Thurs-Sat, 10am-2pm.
Jacksonville History and Hauntings Tours
This haunted Jacksonville tour takes you to spirited sites in the downtown area, with each tour lasting approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours. The tour includes the ghost stories and history behind each of the reputedly haunted sites.
Fey Orr Memorial Mural
This mural honors the late Fey Orr, a prominent local businessman and philanthropist. The mural is painted on the Chebanse Grain & Lumber Co. building, and depicts the people and lifestyle of Beaverville.
Rammelkamp Chapel - Illinois College
Rammelkamp Chapel is the home of religious life on campus as well as the site for various events ranging from weekly chapel services, mass, convocations, concerts and ceremonies.
Heritage In Flight Museum
The Heritage in Flight Museum is dedicated to the preservation of aviation history. The museum displays memorabilia and artifacts from all the military conflicts dating back to WWI. These mementos have been donated by both veterans and their families. The museum also offers tours and hosts flying events at the airport.
Emden Heritage Wayside
Located at the Emden Community Building, this sign interprets Logan County's proximity to Abraham Lincoln and his travels along the 8th Judicial Circuit
Best Wedding Chapel
This chapel, once a Catholic church, was purchased by the Best family who now offers it for weddings. Built in the 1870s, the chapel has its original 14-foot stained glass windows that complement the 33-foot cathedral ceiling.
Douglas County Museum
The award-winning museum features short-term exhibits about a wide range of topics pertinent to the history of Douglas County and East Central Illinois. The museum’s collections include clothing and textiles, military and medical equipment, decorative arts, archives and more! Plus, it’s also host to the Rural Life Antique Show held in March and November of each year.
Built in 1903, the auditorium is the largest building of its kind anywhere in the world, and is included on the National Register of Historic Places. Above the stage are Grecian statues designed by Robert Root.
Lincoln School Museum
The Lincoln School Museum is a restored 1880’s one-room brick school located one mile north of Martinsville, Clark County, Illinois on a spur of the National Road. The Lincoln School is representative of the brick construction of one-room schools built during the 1880’s, representing the typical one-room school of the era, and the education available of that time. The Lincoln School Museum is open to the public on weekends from June through August and any time by appointment.
Shelby County Historical and Genealogical Society
Historical items are displayed throughout this former jail and previous sheriff's residence. Tour the basement where the old jails cells are located, or trace your family tree.
Early American Museum
The Early American Museum has an extensive collection interpreting 19th and early 20th century life in east-central Illinois. Two floors of exhibits present architecture, trades and occupations, decorative arts, and childhood and domestic life of the time.
Rike House Museum
Built in 1853, the restored house of blacksmith Robert Ingle has undergone extensive restoration, and features antiques, a family bible and the town's first piano. Reservations required.
Built in the 1850's, this home welcomed Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Among the many connections Pontiac has to Abraham Lincoln, one of the most interesting revolves around Lincoln's friendship with local attorney, Jason W. Strevell. Strevell was born in New York and migrated to Illinois in 1855. He was admitted to the Illinois bar that same year, and began his practice in Pontiac. He was involved in his legal practice here for twenty-four years. He served in the Illinois House of Representatives, and also had one term as a Senator. The house is currently being restored by the Livingston County Historical Society.
Bond County One Room School Museum
This museum is a living monument to the more than 72 one-story schools throughout the nation that served to educate children and host community gatherings.
Macoupin County Historical Society Museum
The Macoupin County Historical Society Museum is housed in the John Anderson mansion, originally built in 1883. The main house is a museum with exhibits that chronicle the development of Macoupin County and its citizens. In addition to the mansion, several other buildings on the grounds emphasize the county's history: a one-room schoolhouse, blacksmith shop, church, wash house, granary and herb garden.
Clay County Museum
Housed in the old county jail, this museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Mattoon Welcome Center & Historic Railroad Depot
Mattoon Tourism & Arts Welcome Center is located in the historic Illinois Central Railroad Train Depot, which also still serves as the Amtrak Station for the Community. The original Railroad Depot was constructed in 1918 by the Illinois Central Railroad, and it was then remodeled in 2011. The Depot is still an active Amtrak Station with 3,000 passengers boarding and un-boarding per month. The welcome center offers a host of information: state-of-the-art schools & colleges, a growing economy, beautiful parks, lakes and sports amenities round out the more favorable quality of life found in Mattoon.
Crawford County VFW 459 Military Museum and Memorial Wall
The remodeled ICCR depot features an etched granite memorial wall and various artifacts of military memorabilia.
Macoupin County Courthouse
The Macoupin County Courthouse, built in 1870, used to be the largest county courthouse in the United States, with the possible exception of one in New York City. It was even larger than the Illinois Statehouse. While the courthouse still serves as the seat of county government, it has also become a showplace that attracts tourists, architects and artists from across the country, as well as overseas.
Simpkins Military History Museum
The personal collection of Gary Simpkins includes artifacts from the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I and II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Cold War and Desert Storm.
Voices of Jacksonville Audio Tour
Tune to radio frequencies at each of the seven locations throughout Jacksonville to see the actual places and hear the real stories of Abraham Lincoln as his friends and associates knew him.
One Room Schoolhouse Museum
Bring your children and show them a glimpse into education before the 20th century. Located on the Jr. High grounds, this schoolhouse was restored by the Bond County Retired Teachers Association.
Indian Treaty Site
A marker commemorates the point where two important trails intersected on the prairie: Detroit to St. Louis and Peoria to Terre Haute. In 1765, the British and the Illinois Indians signed a peace treaty here.
Vandalia, Illinois is where Abraham Lincoln began his historical political career and his life and achievements are commemorated on the marker.
This nine-ton cannon, used in WW II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, stands alongside Veterans Parkway in honor of the men and women who have served in the Armed Forces.
Originally built as a private residence in the 1870s, the house now holds an extensive collection of Civil War memorabilia, World War I bond posters, Native American artifacts, domestic arts, and items from local manufacturers.
Illinois Oilfield Museum & Resource Center
One of only seven of its kind in the nation, this museum at Oblong Park highlights an industry that revolutionized the country.
Constructed in 1857, Mann's Chapel is the oldest standing church in Vermilion County. The chapel is now part of the Vermilion County Museum Complex and can be rented for special occasions with seating for 125-150 available.
Logan County Courthouse
This 1905 Neo-Classical building features a stained glass dome, the longest-serving courtroom in Illinois, a mosaic of the state seal, a statue of Abraham Lincoln and murals of Logan County.
Andrew Carnegie Library - The Arcola Public Library
An original Andrew Carnegie built in 1905. The library boasts all of its original classic revival architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lawrence Memorial Library/Mata Simpson Resource Center
In 1905 Frank Lloyd Wright designed the interior of this school library which has been restore to its original luster.
Little Toot Railroad
Ride the rails and experience train travel as it was decades ago on a 15-inch-gauge Crown steam locomotive that runs through Charley Brown Park.
Edgar County Historical Society
Compare pioneer and Victorian lifestyles when you visit the log cabin and brick Italianate home. An exhibition gallery in an adjacent building features rotating exhibits of the historical society's collection.
Carlinville Historic District
The Historic District includes the Macoupin County Jail, Million Dollar Courthouse, and the largest collection of Sears & Roebuck mail-order homes in the U.S.
Burial Site of "Kay" The Circus Elephant
View the farm grave and marker for Kay, the beloved Carson & Barnes Circus elephant who died on October 21, 1994. Kay is only the second elephant to be buried in Illinois.
Watseka Union Depot
This historic depot is now home to railroad memorabilia displays.
The Patton Cabin was built in June 1829 by John Patton, one of the area's first settlers. The cabin was constructed with the help of Native Americans who lived in the area.
Iroquois County Historical Society Museum
This old ourthouse museum houses numerous exhibits, as well as collections of natural and cultural objects that reflect the dinstictive characteristics of the county.
The Holy Dormition of the Theotokos Catholicon of the Patriarchal Russian Orthodox Catholic Church
Established in 1907 by a group of Russian immigrants who lived and labored in Beneld, the group built homes and raised their families while adding their customs to the area's ever-mixing cultures.
Hutson Memorial Village Church Services
Evening services are held in this log cabin church every other Sunday, beginning with the first Sunday in June and running through the last Sunday in September.
Historic Montgomery County Courthouse
This historic courthouse was built circa 1858.
Pig Hip Marker
This marker tells the story of the Pig Hip Restaurant and its famous sandwiches. A fire took the museum building in 2007.
Decatur Public Library Art Gallery
The Second Floor Gallery, in partnership with Gallery 510, showcases local and regional artwork year-round. Frequently local and national traveling exhibits are displayed. In conjunction with the featured exhibits, the library presents topic-specific programs and events. The gallery is open Monday-Thursday 9am-9pm; Friday-Saturday: 9am-5:30pm; Sunday: 1pm-5pm (Sept-May). Admission to the gallery is free and the public is welcome to all programs and events.
Moweaqua Coal Mine Museum
Houses a number of coal minig artifacts - Pictures, newspaper clippings, coal mining tools, and other mine related materials on display. Most famous for the explosion that happened on December 24, 1932 which killed 54 workers.
Vespasian Warner Public Library
Research materials of the DeWitt County Genealogical Society are housed here, as well as revolving exhibits of the Lincoln Heritage committee of DeWitt County. Historical programs and presentations occur throughout the year.
Hiram Rutherford Home
Home of Oakland's first physician, the restored 1850s Dr. Hiram Rutherford Home features a summer kitchen, doctor's office and a museum of agricultural history.
Prairie Land Heritage Museum
This museum is home of the annual Steam Show and Fall Festival, as well as the Prairie Land Liberty Church, which was built in 1900. Enjoy antique tractors, train rides and local history.
Hot Metal Heaven Museum
This museum features a collection of letterpress printing memorabilia.
Mile Marker Historical Monument
This stone identifies one of the last original road markers that dotted the first road built from Vincennes to Chicago.
Chrisman Wall Mural
Artistic talent is showcased on a wall mural that decorates the side of a building on this quaint small town's square. The first mural at Illinois and Madison streeets was completed in the fall of 1998.
Onarga Township Cemetery
The cemetery is the eternal home of Timothy Webster, a Civil War spy.
Veterans Educational Museum
Items on display are from the Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm along with flags from 45 countries.
Bond County Courthouse
Surrounded by shops and restaurants on the square, the 19th-century courthouse offers a great view of the town's hundreds of flower and fruit trees in season.
Theater, Music, Business
Historic Marbold Farmstead
The Historic Marbold Farmstead is a treasured jewel in Menard County, Illinois. This was the central hub of the Marbold family farmland holdings, which consisted of over 4,000 acres. It was virtually self-sufficient, with several barns, dairy, chicken house, smoke house, ice house, boiler house and pump house. The original house, called Elmwood, was build in 1850 by John Marbold, a German immigrant and prominent Greenview farmer and businessman. Restoration efforts are underway. Located at 21722 State Hwy. 29 near Greenview.
Taylorville Chautauqua Auditorium
This auditorium opened on August 23, 1914, and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Visit the museum's beautiful grounds and see a collection of over 10,000 items that include sea shells, primitive furniture and antique glassware.
This historic home is furnished with memorabilia from the early days of Montgomery County, and is open by appointment.
Three galleries on the Millikin University Campus feature changing one-artist exhibits during the academic year. The Perkinson Gallery hosts a wide range of exhibitions that focus on work by professional artists from Illinois and the Midwest, in addition to work by artists with national recognition. The gallery has 2,000 square feet of floor space, with 132 linear feet of wall space. Patrons may view the displayed work for free, Monday through Friday from noon to 5 pm. The Lower Gallery focuses on photographic works. Student artists display their works in the Studio Gallery. The Lower and Studio Galleries are open Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm Free admission.
Carnegie Public Library
This historic 1904 building houses one of the most complete genealogy departments in the area.
Bethel One Room Schoolhouse
An icon of days past, this one-room schoolhouse has been restored by the Emden Historical Society.
Bottomley-Ruffing-Schalk Baseball Museum
This small museum honors professional baseball players from the surrounding area, including Cooperstown Hall of Famers Sunny Jim Bottomley, Charlie "Red" Ruffing and Ray "Kraker" Shalk.
Allis Chalmers Tractor Musuem
Come visit this private collection of Allis Chalmers tractor models made from 1914-1957. Open for free by appointment or chance.
The Farmers Monument
This impressive black granite piece located on the grounds of Vandalia's Tourist Information Center is a tribute to prairie farmers.
Governor Duncan Home
Amidst the untamed beauty of the Illinois prairie sprang the elegance and grace of the Duncan Mansion: The home of Governor Joseph Duncan is the only existing structure that served as the Governor's Mansion outside of Springfield. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day, Wednesday & Saturday 1-4pm. Suggested donation: $3, Students 6-12 $2, children under 7 free
Mother Jones Monument
The Mother Jones Monument, located in the Union Miners Cemetery, honors the crusader for coal miners' rights.
Civil War Monument at the Veterans' Memorial
Generations of soldiers who sacrificed their lives for their country are honored.
Eastern Illinois University
This campus consists of 316 acres. German Gothic architecture of Old Main towers above the campus.
Shiloh Prairie Restoration
View 40 acres of restored prairie grass and a Native American grass lodge.
Bryant Cottage was built in 1856 by Francis E. Bryant (1818-1889), a friend and political ally of Senator Stephen A. Douglas. According to Bryant family tradition, on the evening of July 29, 1858, Douglas and Abraham Lincoln conferred in the parlor of this house to plan the famous Lincoln-Douglas Debates. The picturesque one-story, four-room wood frame cottage has been “restored” and is interpreted as an example of a middle-class life in mid-nineteenth-century Illinois. The furniture on display is of the Renaissance Revival style, appropriate for a small-town family of the mid-nineteenth century. The cottage is accessible to persons with disabilities. The site hosts portions of a variety of locally sponsored events throughout the year.
Stone Coal Log Cabin Village
Original log buildings in this educational village are from Illinois' early prairie years.
Madonna of the Trail Statue
The Madonna is one of 12 statues in the U.S. that honors the pioneer women who traveled along the National Road.
The grave site of Ann Rutledge, Abraham Lincoln's first sweetheart, is located at Oakland Cemetery. Her tombstone bears an inscription written by poet Edgar Lee Masters, who is burried nearby.
Lincoln Public Library
A Carnegie library, built in 1902, the Lincoln Public Library is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Mennel Milling Of Illinois
This mill produces everything from animal feed ingredients to cake, biscuit and organic pastry flour.
Take one-hour seasonal tours through Syngenta Seeds, a soybean processing plant.
Clark County Genealogical Library
You'll find census records, newspaper clippings, birth and marriage records, and other files of interest helpful to geneological research.
Books & Crooks
This library is located in the town's old jailhouse, and still features the original cells. Feel free to take a book and curl up in your favorite cell.
Edgar County Courthouse
This elegant 1893 brick and stone building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Edgar County Genealogical Library
Trace your Edgar County roots at this library that has genealogical tools, manuscripts, books, filmed records, micro-fiche, and computerized data based on Edgar County families.
One of the oldest colleges in Illinois, founded in 1837. Blackburn is also one of only seven colleges in the U.S. where students work in exchange for tuition credit, and the only one whose Work program is student-run. This keeps Blackburn's tuition among the lowest of all private colleges in the United States. Over the years, students have literally built Blackburn, brick by brick; the only college campus in the United States to be largely built by its students.
The Heart Theatre is located across the street from the Effingham County Courthouse. The theatre is one of the two examples in Effingham of the Art Deco style that was popular from 1920 to 1940.
Old State Cemetery
Bronze markers give biographical information about prominent citizens from the earliest history of the community. Every fall, volunteers in period dress "resurrect" their ancestors and tell their stories during an annual cemetery walk.
Carnegie Schuyler Library
A full-service library, the Carnegie still contains the original furniture, interior decor and double stairway that was designed and built in 1913 from funds donated by Andrew Carnegie.