Showing 289-384 of 1,057 items found in History
Elk Grove Farmhouse Museum
The oldest farmhouse in Elk Grove Village. Restored to reflect life during the civil war. The home of Heinrich and Maria Schuette. School and scout programs available. Open year-round.
CITY:Elk Grove Village
Mineral Springs Paranormal Research Center
Share evidence and peruse scientific research on the paranormal at one of the most haunted buildings in Alton -- the former Mineral Springs Hotel -- now the home of the Mineral Springs Paranormal Research Center. Overnight paranormal events are held at the site, in addition to meetings with other paranormal experts, investigators and researchers. Ghost hunting equipment is used in every investigation and there are over 140 EVPs obtained over the years at the hotel and at other investigation sites.
Macoupin County Courthouse
The Macoupin County Courthouse, built in 1870, used to be the largest county courthouse in the United States, with the possible exception of one in New York City. It was even larger than the Illinois Statehouse. While the courthouse still serves as the seat of county government, it has also become a showplace that attracts tourists, architects and artists from across the country, as well as overseas.
Andrew Carnegie Library - The Arcola Public Library
An original Andrew Carnegie built in 1905. The library boasts all of its original classic revival architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Toll House Transportation and Civil War Museum
The Confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers at Cairo has seen its share of American history travel past its banks. Now visitors can stop at that famous intersection and take time to learn about that history in the new Toll House Transportation and Civil War Museum. It's at the southernmost point of Cairo at Fort Defiance Park, where US 51 and US 60 split across the Ohio and Mississippi rivers.
Madison County Historical Society Museum & Archives
The 1836 Weir House is filled with an amazing display of artifacts representing local and county history, in addition to a historic research library.
Rock Mill and Museum
The entire village of Maeystown is on the historic register with much of the history preserved in the museum.
This nine-ton cannon, used in WW II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, stands alongside Veterans Parkway in honor of the men and women who have served in the Armed Forces.
Built in 1845, this building served as the center of county government until the county seat was moved to Eureka in 1896. It is one of the two surviving courthouses on the historic 8th Judicial Circuit traveled by Abraham Lincoln. The Metamora Courthouse State Historic Site is open Tuesday thru Saturday, 1-5pm March through October and noon to 4pm November through February. It is also open by appointment and for most events on the Metamora Square. The courthouse is available for weddings, meetings and other private events.
Lincoln Highway Interpretive Mural -- DeKalb
The Illinois Lincoln Highway Coalition has produced many Interpretive Murals along the Illinois Lincoln Highway National Scenic Byway and its corridor in northern Illinois. The DeKalb mural depicts the history, heritage, and events of the highway and its impact on DeKalb and the other communities along the Illinois route.
Garfield Farm Museum
The Garfield Farm Museum is an 1840s living history farm featuring the story of the Garfield family, the Brick Tavern & Inn, restored barns, heirloom gardens, rare farm animals, restored prairie and more.
One Room Schoolhouse Museum
Bring your children and show them a glimpse into education before the 20th century. Located on the Jr. High grounds, this schoolhouse was restored by the Bond County Retired Teachers Association.
A beautiful sculpture of Sacagawea graces the campus of Lewis and Clark Community College in Godfrey, Illinois. The piece was crafted by Glenna Goodacre who also designed the image on the Sacajewea $1 coin.
Fox River Trolley Museum
Celebrating more than 100 years of electric trolleys, this museum has original electric trains and cars that travel a three-mile circuit along the scenic Fox River.
Levere Memorial Temple
Home of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity headquarters, this beautiful Gothic building features stained glass windows by Louis Comfort Tiffany.
Isle A La Cache Museum
Isle A La Cache Museum is devoted to the history of the 18th century fur trade between voyagers and Native Americans.
Simpkins Military History Museum
The personal collection of Gary Simpkins includes artifacts from the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I and II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Cold War and Desert Storm.
John C. Flanagan House Museum
The John C. Flanagan House Museum was built in 1837 on Peoria’s east bluff by John C. Flanagan and is the oldest standing house in Peoria. This American Federal style house offers a spectacular view of the Illinois River Valley.
Elgin Public Museum
In beautiful Lord's Park, this museum features over 15,000 specimens of natural history with newly expanded family focused hands-on exhibits.
Fort Kaskaskia State Historic Site
(TEMPORARILY CLOSED beginning 10/08 except for special events.) This site preserves what is left of the old fort-one of the first built on the Mississipi River. A scenic overlook offers views of the Mississippi and Kaskaskia Rivers, and of Old Kaskaskia.
The Gaylord Building
A landmark in Lockport and along the I&M Canal since 1838, The Gaylord Building connects visitors to America's forgotten Canal Era. Come tour the site and enjoy fine dining in the Public Landing Restaurant. Then stroll or bike ride along the scenic canal trail or explore Lockport's National Register Historic District. Monday - Saturday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM and Sunday 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM. Special group tours by appointment. The Gaylord Building is a historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation (www.preservationnation.org). The Gaylord Building played a vital role in one of the great enterprises of the 19th century: the Illinois & Michigan Canal. In this handsome limestone warehouse visitors will discover exhibitions illustrating the unique heritage of the site and the Canal Corridor. A landmark in Lockport and along the I&M Canal since 1838, The Gaylord Building connects visitors to America's forgotten Canal Era. Come tour the site and enjoy fine dining in the Public Landing Restaurant. Then stroll or bike ride along the scenic canal trail or explore Lockport's National Register Historic District. Special group tours by appointment. The Gaylord building is a historic site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation (www.preservationnation.org). Monday - Saturday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM and Sunday 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
Kibbe Hancock Heritage Museum
The majority of this large collection of historic artifacts were donated by Dr. Alice Kibbe. The collection now includes Civil War and Indian artifacts, fashion items dating from 1840 to 1920, fossils, rocks, geodes, and other historic artifacts from around Hancock County. Recently acquired was the entire collection of the Illinois Funeral Customs Museum; part of which is on exhibit.
NIU Art Museum
The Museum serves to educate, preserve, exhibit and enlighten by balancing the challenges of contemporary art with the riches of traditional media for a comprehensive examination of visual culture. The Museum pursues its goal of furthering understanding of the visual arts by presenting a balance of high-quality, professional contemporary art exhibitions supplemented by written educational material, gallery talks, artist lectures, panel discussions, symposia and other related activities.
Ronald Reagan Birthplace & Museum
This quaint apartment, featuring the bedroom where the President was born, restored and decorated to its original 1900's style, sits on the second floor at the site of the First National Bank which has also been restored. Next door is a gift store and museum of Reagan memorabilia.
Crawford County VFW 459 Military Museum and Memorial Wall
The remodeled ICCR depot features an etched granite memorial wall and various artifacts of military memorabilia.
Warren County Historical Museum
This museum features four floors of county-wide historical items and displays.
DuPage County Historical Museum
Enjoy DuPage County's rich history from the 1830s to the present. The Museum exhibits feature hundreds of historic artifacts and photos along with many fun hands-on activities. You'll find something for toddlers to seniors, and everyone in between. Housed in an 1891 Richardsonian Romanesque building, the museum highlights 150 years of DuPage County history with participatory activities, changing exhibits and extensive model railroad display.
Mexican Fine Arts Center and Museum
The MFACM has become the nation's largest Latino cultural institution and the first Latino museum accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Colonel Benjamin Stephenson House
This two-story brick home is a wonderful example of Federal-style architecture from 1820. Col. Stephenson, who was a contemporary of Lewis & Clark, moved there in 1809.
Northbrook Historical Society Museum
Enjoy the main floor museum with antiques and a replica of an 1890s home. Open the first Sunday of every month, or by appointment.
Union Depot Railroad Museum
Model railroad, locomotive display, railroad memorabilia.
Elgin Fire Barn No. Five Museum
Get caught up in the history and spirit of firefighting. View the 1929 American Lafrance Fire Engine and 1869 Horse Drawn Silsby Steamer.
Charter Oak "8-Sided" School
This building is a great study in physics as well as history. It was designed to withstand strong winds and capture light throughout the day.
West Walnut Street Historic District
Registered as a National Historic District in May 1975. 54 historic residences are located here. Some homes date to early 1850's, most are early 20th-Century. Homes are private residences and are not open to the public.
Alexis Phelps House
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this home is a great place to watch the river traffic go by. Open by appointment for breakfast, teas, luncheons, receptions and weddings.
NIU Anthropology Museum
The Anthropology Museum houses over 12,000 ethnographic and archaeological objects. The ethnographic collection has regional strengths in Southeast Asia, New Guinea, and the plains and southwest regions of North America. Ethnographic specimens from Africa, Mesoamerica, and South America are also represented.
Mattoon Welcome Center & Historic Railroad Depot
Mattoon Tourism & Arts Welcome Center is located in the historic Illinois Central Railroad Train Depot, which also still serves as the Amtrak Station for the Community. The original Railroad Depot was constructed in 1918 by the Illinois Central Railroad, and it was then remodeled in 2011. The Depot is still an active Amtrak Station with 3,000 passengers boarding and un-boarding per month. The welcome center offers a host of information: state-of-the-art schools & colleges, a growing economy, beautiful parks, lakes and sports amenities round out the more favorable quality of life found in Mattoon.
West Town Museum of Cultural History
The West Town Museum of Cultural History has been the repository for black history in Maywood since 1857. The museum features a pictorial exhibit on the Underground Railroad.
Charles Gates Dawes House Museum
The Dawes House, a magnificent Chateauesque Mansion overlooking Lake Michigan, was the home of the former United States vice president under Calvin Coolidge and Nobel Peace Prize winner, Charles Gates Dawes.
Vandalia, Illinois is where Abraham Lincoln began his historical political career and his life and achievements are commemorated on the marker.
Durant House Museum
This authentically restored and furnished 1843 prairie farm house features costumed interpreters who involve visitors in mid-19th century farm life.
Paulson's Agriculture Museum of Argyle
Home of the largest and best collection of farm equipment and antiquites of yesteryear. Over 700 cast iron implement seats, 50 antique tractors, windmills, windmill weights, and antique washing machines. Wagons, spreaders, cultivators, planters, and the most extensive collection of Rockford, Illinois-made Emerson Brandingham equipment. A model tractor and toy collection is as large as it is unique. Individual tours available. The main building is heated and available all year round for weddings, birthdays, social gatherings, or auctions.
Porthole Barn Trail
After the Civil War, Confederate shipbuilder Joe Minch was looking for a fresh start. He made his way back to the Rockbridge area and traded his building expertise for a set of tools. That first project of building a barn set into motion a new trend in barn design. Joe placed round windows, now know as portholes, in the barn. Travel through Greene County today to view the highest concentration of Porthole Barns in the country.
Clay County Museum
Housed in the old county jail, this museum is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Macoupin County Historical Society Museum
The Macoupin County Historical Society Museum is housed in the John Anderson mansion, originally built in 1883. The main house is a museum with exhibits that chronicle the development of Macoupin County and its citizens. In addition to the mansion, several other buildings on the grounds emphasize the county's history: a one-room schoolhouse, blacksmith shop, church, wash house, granary and herb garden.
The monument is a tribute to Swiss poet Heinrich Bosshard, who wrote Semparcherlied here in the 1850s.
Great Lakes Naval Museum
As an official Department of the Navy Museum, the Great Lakes Naval Museum's mission is to select, collect, preserve, and interpret the history of the United States Navy with particular emphasis on the Navy's only "boot camp" at the Naval Training Station/Center at Great Lakes, Illinois. Exhibits feature an overview of the boot camp experience and the history of Naval Station Great Lakes. The museum is located at the Great Lakes Naval Station by the Main Gates. Admission and parking are free. Public transportation to the Great Lakes Naval Museum is available via Metra's Union Pacific North Line.
National Hellenic Museum
The National Hellenic Museum is the only major museum in the United States dedicated to telling the story of Greek history, culture and arts from ancient times to today. It's mission is to preserve and explore Hellenism and to chronicle the Greek American journey through exhibitions, oral histories, archival collections and education programs. It's purpose is to inspire in people of all backgrounds a curiosity for their own story through a greater connection to Greek history, culture and the arts.
Chicago Portage National Historic Site
One of only three National Historic Sites in Illinois, the Chicago Portage site is a major remnant of the discovery and settlement of Chicago.
Rike House Museum
Built in 1853, the restored house of blacksmith Robert Ingle has undergone extensive restoration, and features antiques, a family bible and the town's first piano. Reservations required.
Voices of Jacksonville Audio Tour
Tune to radio frequencies at each of the seven locations throughout Jacksonville to see the actual places and hear the real stories of Abraham Lincoln as his friends and associates knew him.
Skokie Public Library
A leading institution of the Village of Skokie and a staple of downtown Skokie, the library is truly a center for the community with more than 450,000 items available for check-out, three community meeting rooms and hundreds of events and classes offered each month. The library offers the latest in cutting edge technology with library resources available 24 hours a day via their website, plenty of computers available for internet access and research and a wireless network on the 2nd floor.
Bradley University is an independent, privately endowed, coeducational institution. With an enrollment of approximately 6,000 students, Bradley University is the ideal size for living and learning. The University offers a full range of baccalaureate and graduate level programs as well as personal attention, from a faculty dedicated to student learning.
Coal Miners Memorial
In the late eighteen hundreds there were many thriving communities that were totally dependent on area coal mines. Now there is a Memorial to honor all miners. Dedicated on October 14th, 2000, the Coal Miners Memorial is a tribute to all Southern Illinois coal miners of the past century. The inscription at the base of the statue reads, “In memory of coal miners who gave so much that future generations may benefit with a better life. They labored, served their country, sacrificed for their families and some lost their lives. We honor and salute them so that they will never be forgotten.”
Devonshire Cultural Center
Home of the Skokie Art Guild and Devonshire Playhouse, the Cultural Center offers children's and adult theater, as well as visual and performing arts.
Stinson Memorial Library
The library was named for Civil War veteran Robert B. Stinson, who left his estate for the establishment of a library. The building was the work of Walter B. Griffin, who designed it in a Frank Lloyd Wright style.
Indian Treaty Site
A marker commemorates the point where two important trails intersected on the prairie: Detroit to St. Louis and Peoria to Terre Haute. In 1765, the British and the Illinois Indians signed a peace treaty here.
Bond County One Room School Museum
This museum is a living monument to the more than 72 one-story schools throughout the nation that served to educate children and host community gatherings.
Macktown Living History Education Center
Built in 1834 on the Pecatonica River by fur trader Stephen Mack, one of the area's first settlers. See the walnut cradle Mack made for his children, plus Native American artifacts, donated by Mack's descendants. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, Macktown is where Stephen Mack, his Native American wife, Hononegah, and the people who inhabited the village conducted their daily business. Remnants of 8,000 years of Native American occupation of this same site can be seen. Stephen Mack’s Home and the Whitman Trading Post still stand, and a reconstruction of the village is being undertaken, including the disassembly of the 2-story shop and schoolroom to be rebuilt at its original site. There are many historic and prehistoric artifacts in the Education Center.
Christian County Coal Mine Museum
Featuring historical items pertaining to coal mining in Christian County, this museum includes coal mining equipment, memorabilia and more. Be sure to visit the coal miner monument on the courthouse lawn. Open Thurs-Sat, 10am-2pm.
Fey Orr Memorial Mural
This mural honors the late Fey Orr, a prominent local businessman and philanthropist. The mural is painted on the Chebanse Grain & Lumber Co. building, and depicts the people and lifestyle of Beaverville.
Built in 1830, this is the only stagecoach stop still intact along the 60-mile Kaskaskia-Cahokia trail.
Chicago Board of Trade
The LaSalle Street Financial Corridor is one of the most visually stunning districts in the city. A long canyon of buildings, unlike any other area of Chicago, terminates at the Chicago Board of Trade Building, the 1930 Art Deco masterpiece by Holabird & Root. A sparkling, stainless-steel sculpture of Ceres, the goddess of grain, by John Storrs (1885-1956) caps the composition, visually focusing this whirling financial district on the commodity that enabled so much of Chicago’s growth. The Board of Trade was named a Chicago Landmark in 1977 and listed to the National Register in 1978. Copy and descriptions courtesy of AIA Illinois and the 150 Great Places in Illinois www.illinoisgreatplaces.com
Pierre Menard Home
(TEMPORARILY CLOSED beginning 10/08 except for special events.) Pierre Menard, an important political figure in 1818, built this home. It is furnished with many of the Menard family's personal possessions and other period pieces. The surrounding grounds and outbuildings include an herb garden, smokehouse, springhouse, and adjoining kitchen.
Kane County Events and Cultural Center
This 50-acre forest preserve houses the Philip B. Elfstrom Stadium (home of the Kane County Cougars minor league baseball team), the Roberta Campbell Cultural & Conference Center (used for art exhibits and community activities) and a picnic/park area.
Old Market House State Historic Site
This 165-year-old building was the center of Galena's community life during the town's Golden Era. The Ulysses S. Grant exhibit features several artifacts from this president and Civil War hero.
Kaskaskia Bell Shrine and the Liberty Bell of the West
Known as the Liberty Bell of the West, the Kaskaskia Bell was rung as the island was captured from the British during the Revolutionary War.
The Windmill was built in 1896 to supply water for the Oughton estate and grounds, which later became home of the Keeley Institute, an alcohol rehab center.
Early American Museum
The Early American Museum has an extensive collection interpreting 19th and early 20th century life in east-central Illinois. Two floors of exhibits present architecture, trades and occupations, decorative arts, and childhood and domestic life of the time.
Ellwood House Museum
The story of the Ellwood House reflects the central role of Isaac Ellwood in the development of the barbed wire industry in America. The magnificent estate is also a testimony to three generations of the Ellwood family whose tastes shaped the evolution of the house and grounds. As you visit Ellwood House you will be aware of the comfort and quality of workmanship that wealth could provide. At the same time, you also sense the warmth and hospitality of a family home that was lived in for almost one hundred years. The Ellwood House provides historical tours of the grand Victorian and are approximately one hour tour times. Tours are available for teachers, students, groups, and families. Capacity: 80-100
The Standish House Bed & Breakfast
The Standish House B&B is owned and operated by a direct descendent of Miles Standish and is filled with antiques and collections of Early American history. You’ll enjoy canopy beds, sumptuous breakfasts and more. We’re only minutes from Lake Carroll and are located on a quiet residential street in the quaint community of Lanark.
Lincoln School Museum
The Lincoln School Museum is a restored 1880’s one-room brick school located one mile north of Martinsville, Clark County, Illinois on a spur of the National Road. The Lincoln School is representative of the brick construction of one-room schools built during the 1880’s, representing the typical one-room school of the era, and the education available of that time. The Lincoln School Museum is open to the public on weekends from June through August and any time by appointment.
David and Alfred Smart Museum of Art
The Smart Museum of Chicago's Fine Art Museum. Located on the University of Chicago Campus, the Smart Museum houses a collection of over 7,500 objects, spanning 5,000 years of artistic creation.
Raven's Grin Inn
At this real haunted house, built in 1870, you'll hear about the inn's spooky history on a tour that takes you through the twists and turns of this creepy building.
Randolph County Museum & Archives
Built in 1864, the museum is a repository for French-Colonial-era records and special exhibits. Next door, the Randolph County Courthouse offers a panoramic view of the Mississippi River Valley from a 5th-floor, glassed-in observation deck, a mini-museum in the Jail lobby, and a flag display in the courtyard.
DuSable Museum of African American History
The DuSable Museum of African American History is located on University of Chicago's Hyde Park campus. Experience a unique cultural environment as you travel through African American history. DuSable Museum shares African American history through a variety of impactful traveling and insightful permanent exhibits, educational programs and special seasonal celebrations. Visit, learn, and enjoy! Ongoing: Red, White, Blue & Black: A History of Blacks in the Armed Services; A Slow Walk to Greatness: The Harold Washington Story.
Best Wedding Chapel
This chapel, once a Catholic church, was purchased by the Best family who now offers it for weddings. Built in the 1870s, the chapel has its original 14-foot stained glass windows that complement the 33-foot cathedral ceiling.
The Presidential Hall of Fame Museum
Former Congressman Ken Gray's collection of over 12,000 items includes campaign memorabilia, photos and documents from former presidents and dignitaries, 1,000 original dolls, videos, four cars driven by the congressman and much more.
Katherine Dunham Museum
Katherine Dunham is probably best known as a legendary dancer who propelled the awareness of the cultures of the African Diaspora via her choreography. Her famous dance technique reflects a fusion of many cultures. Miss Dunham was a true renaissance woman. She was an artist, anthropologist, author, activist, manager, movie star, producer, educator, wife, mother, and so much more. The world needs to know about her wonderful life story and there's no better learning environment than the Museum and Centers for Arts and Humanities she created. The museum houses Miss Dunham's outstanding collection of symbolic and functional art, including more than 250 African and Caribbean art objects from more than 50 countries.
CITY:East St. Louis
Hayner Genealogy & Local History Library
The Hayner Public Library District provides a variety of genealogy-related services to support research efforts. Information from various states in addition to Illinois and other countries is available. The digitized newspaper collection is a wonderful resource of The Hayner Public Library District for genealogy research. The collection includes the Alton Telegraph Archives dating as far back as 1836 and access NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE to locate newspaper articles in other parts of the country.
Heritage In Flight Museum
The Heritage in Flight Museum is dedicated to the preservation of aviation history. The museum displays memorabilia and artifacts from all the military conflicts dating back to WWI. These mementos have been donated by both veterans and their families. The museum also offers tours and hosts flying events at the airport.
Jackson County Historical Center
The museum has expanded, adding about 1,000 square feet to its headquarters building for more exhibit area. Included in its displays is a pump organ, a collection of early cameras, a display of Daniel Grocery Store items, and many textile items, military uniforms, 1850-era Chandler Printer Press and county courthouse records containing hundreds of files available for genealogy study.The museum also has an exhibit of women's vintage clothing ranging from 1865-1970s and continues to add exhibits.
Historical Society Museum/Alton Railroad Depot
The restored railroad depot, designed by Henry Ives Cobb, is now the home of the Dwight Historical Society and is still an operating Amtrak train station.
Civil War Monument
This monument features a statue of a Civil War soldier.
Old Jail and Old School House
See the local Historical Society's authentic preservation of an 1800s school and town jail. Tours by appointment.
Rammelkamp Chapel - Illinois College
Rammelkamp Chapel is the home of religious life on campus as well as the site for various events ranging from weekly chapel services, mass, convocations, concerts and ceremonies.
Emden Heritage Wayside
Located at the Emden Community Building, this sign interprets Logan County's proximity to Abraham Lincoln and his travels along the 8th Judicial Circuit
Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
The Federal Reserve Bank Visitors Center features interactive displays that explain the Federal Reserve's functions, the U.S. economy, banking history, money and consumer interests.
John Wood Mansion, Log Cabin & Parsonage
The John Wood Mansion is the restored home of Quincy's founder and the 12th governor of Illinois. The 1835 Pioneer Log Cabin is preserved authentically, and the Parsonage displays items depicting the history of Adams County.
Greater Saint Louis Air and Space Museum
Learn about the history of aviation in the St. Louis area. The Museum is located at the St. Louis Downtown Parks Airport and has Gus Grissom's flight suit, a collection of TWA artifacts, and a 1941 Meyers O.T.W. Bi-plane on exhibit.
Jacksonville History and Hauntings Tours
This haunted Jacksonville tour takes you to spirited sites in the downtown area, with each tour lasting approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours. The tour includes the ghost stories and history behind each of the reputedly haunted sites.
Built in 1903, the auditorium is the largest building of its kind anywhere in the world, and is included on the National Register of Historic Places. Above the stage are Grecian statues designed by Robert Root.
Ernest Hemingway Museum and Birthplace
The museum displays rare photos of Hemingway, his childhood diary, letters, early writings and other memorabilia. The Birthplace Home features some original furniture and belongings of the Hemingway family.
Shelby County Historical and Genealogical Society
Historical items are displayed throughout this former jail and previous sheriff's residence. Tour the basement where the old jails cells are located, or trace your family tree.
Built in the 1850's, this home welcomed Abraham Lincoln in 1860. Among the many connections Pontiac has to Abraham Lincoln, one of the most interesting revolves around Lincoln's friendship with local attorney, Jason W. Strevell. Strevell was born in New York and migrated to Illinois in 1855. He was admitted to the Illinois bar that same year, and began his practice in Pontiac. He was involved in his legal practice here for twenty-four years. He served in the Illinois House of Representatives, and also had one term as a Senator. The house is currently being restored by the Livingston County Historical Society.
Princeville Heritage Museum
The Princeville Heritage Museum opened to the public in 1999. The museum is a part of the Historical Association of Princeville (incorporated in 1987). The 15,000 square foot handicap accessible facility features antique agriculture equipment, steam powered tractors and threshers, area artifacts, a genealogy research area, and much more. In 2004 the Akron Townhouse School was moved to the museum grounds. The townhouse school allows children and adults alike to take a step back in time and participate in a day in the life of a student in the early 1900’s. With seating for 35, the conference facilities are equipped with state of the art audio visual equipment and wireless internet connection. The facility also includes a full kitchen.