Showing 481-576 of 1,031 items found in History
Grayslake Heritage Center
A state-of-the-art history museum dedicated to collecting and sharing the history of the greater Grayslake area. The Grayslake Heritage Center offers programs, exhibitions and special events all year round and includes two galleries, a community room, and a classroom.
Village of Greyslake Heritage Center and Museum
The Grayslake Historical Society was founded in 1976 and is dedicated to preserving and sharing the history of the greater Grayslake area. The Historical Society stages regular programs, works with the Executive Director on engaging exhibitions, conducts tours and keeps residents and visitors connected with Grayslake’s rich past. For more information, visit the Grayslake Historical Society's website at www.grayslakehistory.org.
Great Lakes Naval Museum
As an official Navy Museum, the Great Lakes Naval Museum's mission is to tell the story of the United States Navy, with particular emphasis on the Navy's only "boot camp" at the Naval Station Great Lakes.
CITY: Great Lakes
Great Lakes Naval Museum
As an official Department of the Navy Museum, the Great Lakes Naval Museum's mission is to select, collect, preserve, and interpret the history of the United States Navy with particular emphasis on the Navy's only "boot camp" at the Naval Training Station/Center at Great Lakes, Illinois. Exhibits feature an overview of the boot camp experience and the history of Naval Station Great Lakes. The museum is located at the Great Lakes Naval Station by the Main Gates. Admission and parking are free. Public transportation to the Great Lakes Naval Museum is available via Metra's Union Pacific North Line.
CITY: Great Lakes
National Road Covered Bridge
The Embarras River, near Greenup, was the site of a covered bridge built by Abe and Thomas Lincoln and Dennis Hanks. The original bridge was 200 feet long. The reconstructed bridge was dedicated in 2000.
Historic Marbold Farmstead
The Historic Marbold Farmstead is a treasured jewel in Menard County, Illinois. This was the central hub of the Marbold family farmland holdings, which consisted of over 4,000 acres. It was virtually self-sufficient, with several barns, dairy, chicken house, smoke house, ice house, boiler house and pump house. The original house, called Elmwood, was build in 1850 by John Marbold, a German immigrant and prominent Greenview farmer and businessman. Restoration efforts are underway. Located at 21722 State Hwy. 29 near Greenview.
Civil War Monument at the Veterans' Memorial
This monument honors generations of soliders who sacrificed their lives for their country.
Bond County One Room School Museum
This museum is a living monument to the more than 72 one-story schools throughout the nation that served to educate children and host community gatherings.
Bond County Courthouse
Surrounded by shops and restaurants on the square, the 19th-century courthouse offers a great view of the town's hundreds of flower and fruit trees in season.
Civil War Monument at the Veterans' Memorial
Generations of soldiers who sacrificed their lives for their country are honored.
American Farm Heritage Museum
Farm implements, tools, tractors, and other equipment are featured that date back 100 years. The museum is open for special events including the Outhouse Festival in the fall.
Bock Sculpture Museum
The museum, located in the original college building on the campus of historic Greenville College, features hundreds of sculptural pieces by Richard Bock, best known for his work with famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright.
Originally built as a private residence in the 1870s, the house now holds an extensive collection of Civil War memorabilia, World War I bond posters, Native American artifacts, domestic arts, and items from local manufacturers.
One Room Schoolhouse Museum
Bring your children and show them a glimpse into education before the 20th century. Located on the Jr. High grounds, this schoolhouse was restored by the Bond County Retired Teachers Association.
Mother Rudd House and Museum
This original 1844 building was once a stagecoach stop, tavern, post office, town hall and candy store. Completely restored by the Village of Gurnee, this historical home is reported to have been part of the Underground Railroad.
Mother Rudd House and Museum
This original 1844 building was once a stagecoach stop, tavern, post office, town hall, and candy store. Completely restored by the Village of Gurnee, this historical home is reported to have been part of the Underground Railroad. Slaves would be housed in the basement or the barn. View artifacts from the Civil War, see the "Crystal Ballroom" where traveling guests would be entertained or the room dedicated to the family of a local man that died on the Titanic.
The Button Room Museum
We are a vintage and antique Button Museum. Our button displays rotate on a monthly basis based upon the current theme. Visitors will be given an opportunity to view beautiful buttons on display and learn more about two incredible women who saved and preserved everything (beautiful objects and historical artifacts). The museum will host a variety of small clubs, exhibitions, workshops, and events.
Log Cabin Museum
In the park next to Hamel School, this building was built between 1820 and 1852 and moved to Hamel in 1980. Artifacts from the period are displayed inside.
Weezy’s Route 66 Bar and Grill
The restaurant is known for charbroiled burgers, homemade pies and hearty breakfasts, particularly biscuits and gravy made with fresh sausage from locally produced hogs. The decor follows a diner theme with a black-and-white checkered floor and red vinyl seat cushions on chrome booths, tables and chairs. Walls are lined with vintage signs, photos of old vehicles and other Route 66 memorabilia and even has an outdoor patio.
Saline Creek Pioneer Village
This fascinating pioneer village includes the original Saline County Pauper Farm (now a three-story museum), an old jail, an 1859 one-room schoolhouse, the Cain Church, several 1800s log cabins, a barn and country store.
Lewis and Clark Memorial
This memorial commemorates Camp Dubois, the 1803-04 winter camp of Lewis and Clark where they launched their Corps of Discovery expedition to the Pacific.
Lewis and Clark State Historic Site
The Lewis and Clark State Historic Site commemorates Camp Dubois, the 1803-1804 winter camp of Meriwether Lewis and William Clark. It was at Camp Dubois that members of the Corps of Discovery prepared for their expedition to the Pacific Ocean. The 14,000 square-foot exhibit space contains six galleries that outline the background and history of the Lewis and Clark expedition from its conception to its meaning for today's America. Exhibits are kid-friendly, offering opportunities for hands-on engagement. A "reconstruction" of the winter camp, Camp Dubois, is located on the grounds near the visitor center. Its design reflects 1803 U.S. Army regulations for the construction of military posts. Interpreters are on-site daily in the camp to explain how the men prepared for the journey.
Lewis & Clark Confluence Tower
The Lewis & Clark Confluence Tower is dedicated to the duo's history-making journey, and serves as a gateway to the Meeting of the Great Rivers National Scenic Byway. The Corps of Discovery voyage began here on May 14, 1804, at the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. Take the elevator up to the top of the 180-foot-tall tower, where you’ll step out to panoramic views of the swirling river waters (the view is particularly stunning at sunset). On platforms located at 50, 100 and 150 feet visitors learn about the early days of Hartford, as well as Lewis and Clark's journey.
South Suburban Genealogical and Historical Society
Visit the finest genealogical research library in the south suburbs.
CITY: Hazel Crest
Putnam County Historical Society
Tours of the recently restored, redecorated 1844 Pulsifer House. Genealogical historical research facilities. Open Wed & Fri from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. Agricultural Museum open by appointment.
A World War I memorial stature, “The Spirit of The American Dough Boy” was dedicated on September 6, 1927 following its acquisition through a project sponsored jointly by the local American Legion and VFW Posts. The solider is forever immortalized in statue form, seen is his war apparel and stance. The Dough Boy is a symbol of freedom and remembrance of those who fought for our land.
Herrin City Library
Herrin City Library is your community connection to print, video, audio, and online information around the world. Featuring the Herrin History Room, a growing collection of archival information about the City of Herrin and the Williamson County area. We also have some genealogical information about Herrin families. We have city directories and yearbooks for the Herrin Schools. We do have a large collection of Herrin newspapers on microfilm from the 1800s to about 1945.
Coal Miners Memorial
In the late eighteen hundreds there were many thriving communities that were totally dependent on area coal mines. Now there is a Memorial to honor all miners. Dedicated on October 14th, 2000, the Coal Miners Memorial is a tribute to all Southern Illinois coal miners of the past century. The inscription at the base of the statue reads, “In memory of coal miners who gave so much that future generations may benefit with a better life. They labored, served their country, sacrificed for their families and some lost their lives. We honor and salute them so that they will never be forgotten.”
The Annex Coffee & Deli
The Annex Building, built in 1912, is at the very heart of Herrin, Illinois’ thriving downtown on Park Avenue. The former Annex Movie Theater was converted into a bakery café and opened on Halloween 2011. The Annex Coffee & Deli is committed to delivering the best coffee house & bakery café experience in a clean and stylish environment which recalls the glory days of the historic building in which it is housed.
Simpkins Military History Museum
The personal collection of Gary Simpkins includes artifacts from the Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War I and II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Cold War and Desert Storm.
Louis Latzer Homestead
Louis Latzer, the founder of the Pet Milk Company, built this homestead for his wife and family in 1901. The home had many modern features of the day, including running water pumped by hand to a holding tank in the attic, a manufactured gas light system, speaking tubes between many of the rooms and one of the first telephones in the community.
The monument is a tribute to Swiss poet Heinrich Bosshard, who wrote Semparcherlied here in the 1850s.
My Kind of Town Tours & Events
This company offers group cultural and educational tours. Reservations are required.
CITY: Highland Park
Highland Park Historical Society
This museum is a 12 room, two story Italianate Victorian house donated to the Society in 1969. The Society’s mission is to discover, preserve, provide access to and disseminate the history of the general area and of Highland Park, in particular.
CITY: Highland Park
Historic Montgomery County Courthouse
This historic courthouse was built circa 1858.
This historic home is furnished with memorabilia from the early days of Montgomery County, and is open by appointment.
Genealogical Research Library
Research early history, marriages, cemetery and census records, and family books, all pertaining to Ogle County.
Shiloh Prairie Restoration
View 40 acres of restored prairie grass and a Native American grass lodge.
Six log cabins recreate life as it had been in Illinois back in 1812. Visit the homestead belonging to the Hutson family before a fatal Indian attack killed Isaac Hutson's entire family.
Hutson Memorial Village Church Services
Evening services are held in this log cabin church every other Sunday, beginning with the first Sunday in June and running through the last Sunday in September.
In 1779 George Rogers Clark led his army from Kaskaskia through this area to Vincennes, Indiana, where they captured Ft. Sackville from the British. At the time, this building was named for being near the midpoint of the Vincennes-St. Louis Trail.
Prairie Land Heritage Museum
This museum is home of the annual Steam Show and Fall Festival, as well as the Prairie Land Liberty Church, which was built in 1900. Enjoy antique tractors, train rides and local history.
Woodlawn Farm - Underground Railroad Site
This farm was established in 1824 by Michael Huffaker, who built four cabins for free black families and later hid fleeing slaves there. Tours by appointment.
Jacksonville's Underground Railroad Tour
Visit Underground Railroad sites such as Woodlawn Farm, as well as Jacksonville-area homes that were part of the Railroad.
Illinois School for the Deaf Alumni Association Museum
This museum follows the rich history of the oldest school for the deaf in Illinois, featuring displays in over nine rooms on two floors.
Rammelkamp Chapel - Illinois College
Rammelkamp Chapel is the home of religious life on campus as well as the site for various events ranging from weekly chapel services, mass, convocations, concerts and ceremonies.
Voices of Jacksonville Audio Tour
Tune to radio frequencies at each of the seven locations throughout Jacksonville to see the actual places and hear the real stories of Abraham Lincoln as his friends and associates knew him.
Jacksonville History and Hauntings Tours
This haunted Jacksonville tour takes you to spirited sites in the downtown area, with each tour lasting approximately 2-1/2 to 3 hours. The tour includes the ghost stories and history behind each of the reputedly haunted sites.
Downtown Jacksonville Walldog Murals
Completed in the Summer of 2006, these 10 murals depicting historic Jacksonville scenes and events were handpainted by more than 50 sign painters and graphic artists from as far away as Scotland and New Zealand.
Governor Duncan Home
Amidst the untamed beauty of the Illinois prairie sprang the elegance and grace of the Duncan Mansion: The home of Governor Joseph Duncan is the only existing structure that served as the Governor's Mansion outside of Springfield. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day, Wednesday & Saturday 1-4pm. Suggested donation: $3, Students 6-12 $2, children under 7 free
Historic Jerseyville Courthouse Square
Built in 1893, this historic masonry courthouse sits at the center of town and serves as the hub of activity for the entire county. The courthouse is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours of the courthouse are available for groups with reservations. Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday, 8 a.m. to noon
Fulkerson Mansion and Farm Museum
Colonel William H. Fulkerson's mansion and farm museum contains many rare agricultural items and equipment with emphasis on large, rare farm steam traction engines, utilized for plowing the prairie, threshing the grain, and for powering early sawmills. The estate is 14-room Southern-style Victorian mansion that has remained virtually unchanged to this day. It was placed on the National Historic Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Family oriented restaurant. Dine in or carry out. Plate lunches, dinners, and specials every night. Historical building dating back to 1927.
CITY: Johnston City
Fallen Soldier Veterans Memorial Wall
Located on East Broadway in Johnston City, this memorial wall contains the names of local fallen heroes. A Memorial Day celebration is held in this location every year.
CITY: Johnston City
Joliet Area Historical Museum
Travel through time and space! Walk through a replica of the I & M Canal, window shop on a turn-of-the-century street, take a virtual ride on a replica trolley, live the legend of Route 66, land on the moon in a walk-in simulator, and experience space exploration and the Apollo missions. Temporary exhibits change often in our Special Exhibition Gallery. There's always family fun in our discovery room, and remember your visit with a souvenir from our Gift Shop.
Joliet Iron Works Historic Site
Joliet Iron Works Historic Site features 0.59 mile of paved trail that provides a self-guided interpretive tour of the site's historical significance. Take a free, naturalist-led tour of blast furnace ruins. Reservations are required.
Joliet Public Library
Jacob Henry Mansion Estate Dinner Theatre
Located on the Jacob Henry Mansion Estate, guests are greeted with our famous family hospitality, homemade meals and heartwarming musical productions. Lunch matinees and dinner shows are complimented by itineraries that include tours of our other historic properties, or excursions into Joliet's vibrant downtown. The Jacob Henry Mansion Estate Dinner Theatre welcomes groups with onsite motorcoach parking and handicap accessibilty.
Jacob Henry Mansion
Elegant National Historic Landmark offers unique Victorian setting for weddings/receptions. Groups and tours welcome.
Joliet Prison Park
Once you arrive, a huge steel and barbed wire entry sign will beckon you into a park unlike any other. Information kiosks on site offer an insight into the prison’s past and inmate history, as well as the famous films that have been shot here.
Historic Vaudeville Movie Theatre listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Wide variety of performances.
Friday Nights at 66!
Its Friday Night racing at Route 66 Raceway! Gates open at 4:00pm Fridays through September. Each of the Friday Nights at 66 events will feature a host car club in the designated Cruise-in Car Corral. Bring your own car to show off in the Cruise-in Car Corral. This is a non-competitive place to show your vehicle, watch the races, meet other enthusiasts and take in the sights and sounds. Call: 888-629-RACE(7723) for more information.
Lincoln Memorial Park
Site of one of the historic Lincoln-Douglas Debates, this park features picnic shelters, walking paths and hiking trails.
Located at Lincoln Memorial Park, visitors can "Walk Where Lincoln Walked" by following the presidents footsteps from Jonesboro Square to the park.
Center For American Archeology
Located in Kampsville, the Center for American Archeology Museum is housed in the historic Kamp Store, offering a variety of exhibits focusing on the 10,000 year pre-history of the lower Illinois River Valley, the archeological history of Illinois and the history of the Kamp Store. Guided tours of the facility and excavation sites are available for groups of ten or more.
Kankakee County Museum
The Kankakee County Museum is the home of the Kankakee County Historical Society. Founded in 1906, it is the oldest incorporated local historical society in Illinois. The Main Museum Building contains seven permanent and temporary exhibit galleries, the Museum Store, the Museum's Archival Research Library, the Museum's offices, and support facilities. The Museum Complex also encompasses the historic 1855 Dr. A. L. Small House, the 1904 Taylor One-Room Schoolhouse, Column Garden and Outdoor Exhibit Area. The museum boasts more than 85,000 artifacts in addition to 20,000 still images in the photo collection.
Conrad Park Pioneer Cabin
Check out this pioneer cabin that gives a glimpse of Illinois' earliest settlers' way of life on the frontier. It is located in a majestic park setting along the Kankakee River.
Momence Historical House
Depicting everyday life in the late 1880’s, this 1869 home features period furnishings throughout. It originally served as a private residence. The Momence Women’s Club was instrumental in preserving this lovely house museum. The home is maintained by the City of Momence. The arbor and gardens were created by the Momence High School Shop Class and Main Street Momence.
Kankakee Model Railroad Club and Museum
See large operating model train displays and railroad memorabilia within Kankakee's restored train depot. The museum also features a scale model replicating the city of Kankakee during the 1950's. A restored rail car and trolley can be rented for special events.
Essex Historical Society Museum
This historical site features a one-room schoolhouse and historical artifacts contained in an adjacent brick building. Learn about area strip mines that date back to the 1900's. This Kankakee museum is open by appointment and during special events.
Frank Lloyd Wright's B. Harley Bradley House
The B. Harley Bradley House Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1900 The B. Harley Bradley House in Kankakee, Illinois, is widely acknowledged as Wright's first Prairie Style design. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places individually and as part of the Riverview Historic District. Following an extensive restoration, the Bradley House now enjoys the opportunity to be appreciated by architecture fans from around the world. This Prairie Style house was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright along with its neighboring home. The houses are acknowledged by the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy as Wright's first house designs that ushered in Wright's Prairie Style. The B. Harley Bradley House is open for 1 hour tours.
Big River State Forest
Encompassing more than 3,000 acres along the Mississippi River, Big River State Forest is a remnant of woodland that once bordered the vast prairies. The 1-½ mile Lincoln Hiking Trail commemorates Abraham Lincoln's march through the area in 1832.
Blackhawk War Monument
This monument is located on the site of Kellogg's Grove, an early settlement established in 1827 on a mail route between Peoria and Galena, and now on the National Register of Historic Places. It honors those killed in the Blackhawk War, including in the final Illinois Battle which occurred at this grove in June, 1832. Abraham Lincoln, a member of the Illinois militia, helped bury five of the slain men. The remaining soldiers were originally buried throughout the area at the spots at which they fell. Fifty years after the war, local farmers collected the remains and buried them in one enclosure on top of this hill overlooking the Yellow Creek Valley. The 34-foot high monument was dedicated in 1886.
Ryan's Historic Round Barn
Built in 1910 to house Dr. Ryan's 50-head herd of black angus show cattle, the barn features a farm implement museum on the main floor.
Walldogs Mural: Welcome to Kewanee
In the summer of 2013, a collective of artists, called the Walldogs, came to Kewanee, IL to paint 15 historic murals depicting the long history and heritage of the city. These paintings can be found on many downtown facades, as well as at the Amtrak Station that brings new people to the area, every day. About this mural: Kewanee was founded in May of 1854, when the Military Tract Railroad was routed to the north of Wethersfield. The town founders were from Wethersfield Township to the south, Sylvester Blish, Ralph Tenney, Henry Little and Sullivan Howard, plus Nelson Lay from Wisconsin. Colonel Berrian, civil engineer who supervised the laying of the track through this area, was asked to choose a name and he decided on “Kewanee,” a Winnebago Indian word for “prairie chicken.” In 1921, Wethersfield’s 2,000 people asked to be annexed to Kewanee with its 16,000. That 18,000 would turn out to be Kewanee’s peak population.
Ingram's Pioneer Log Cabin Village
Pre-Civil War log structures rescued from destruction by the Ingrams. Many of the 17 homes and other buildings are furnished with authentic pieces and open to the public. Visit Jacob's Well Inn, frequented by Abraham Lincoln.
La Harpe Historical Society Museum
The museum houses a podium and pew that President Lincoln spoke at in 1858. There is also an area devoted to Charles Duryea, inventor of the gasoline automobile, as well as local artifacts and a genealogy section.
CITY: La Harpe
Garfield Farm Museum
The Garfield Farm Museum is an 1840s living history farm featuring the story of the Garfield family, the Brick Tavern & Inn, restored barns, heirloom gardens, rare farm animals, restored prairie and more.
The Ragdale Foundation
Guided tours (by reservation only) of Ragdale, a nationally renowned artists' community built by noted architect Howard Van Doren Shaw, include a walk through the historic house and gardens as well as a studio visit with an artist-in-residence.
CITY: Lake Forest
The Ragdale Foundation
Art, architecture, and garden tours of Howard Van Doren Shaw's summer retreat. The house and gardens, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places among examples of the Arts and Crafts movement in the country. It house 12 artists at a time.
CITY: Lake Forest
Glen Rowan House
The Glen Rowan House is the perfect setting for weddings, social parties, private, and corporate events. An estate on Chicago’s North Shore designed by renowned architect Howard Van Doren Shaw, this significant landmark is named for its impressive rowan oak trees and is a part of the Lake Forest College campus.
CITY: Lake Forest
The Lehmann Mansion
Historical landmark situated on 60 magnificent acres in the Village of Lake Villa. Beautifully restored and renovated for weddings, banquets and private parties. Three-season tent accommodates up to 350 guests.
CITY: Lake Villa
The Standish House Bed & Breakfast
The Standish House B&B is owned and operated by a direct descendent of Miles Standish and is filled with antiques and collections of Early American history. You’ll enjoy canopy beds, sumptuous breakfasts and more. We’re only minutes from Lake Carroll and are located on a quiet residential street in the quaint community of Lanark.
LaSalle Canal Boat & Lock 16 Visitors Center
Mule pulled canal boat rides with period clothed storyteller, open May-October. The year-round Visitor center includes exhibits, programs, visitor information, cafe and gift shop.
Lock 16 Center
Visitor information, canal exhibits/programs, canal boat tickets, cafe, gift shop, great bathrooms, free Wi-Fi. Private meeting room/facility/canal boat rentals. At western terminus of I&M Canal.
Lincoln Trail Memorial
This memorial commemorates the crossing of the Lincoln Family from Indiana to Illinois in early March of 1830.
J.T. and E.J. Crumbaugh Museum
This museum is located in the lower level of the Crumbaugh Library in Le Roy.The major displays include an 1890s re-creation of a child's room and a communications exhibit.
CITY: Le Roy
Rike House Museum
Built in 1853, the restored house of blacksmith Robert Ingle has undergone extensive restoration, and features antiques, a family bible and the town's first piano. Reservations required.
CITY: Le Roy
The Mermaid House
The beautiful house is an example of an 1830s hotel. Charles Dickens once visited there in 1842 while researching a book he wrote on prairies in America.
Stroll brick-paved St. Louis Street in the Lebanon Antiques District, where you’ll find more than 20 antique and specialty shops in this historic town that was founded in 1804, during the time of the Lewis & Clark expedition.
Lena Water Tower
Built in 1896, the 100-foot-tall tower is believed to be one of only three in Illinois of similar construction, and has become the symbol of the Village of Lena.
Lena Area Historical Museum
The Lena Historical Museum tells the history of Lena and the surrounding area, with galleries focusing on various historical topics. Highlights include a Civil War regimental flag and an extensive clothing collection. Also on the grounds are a summer kitchen, the first log schoolhouse built in Lena, an Illinois Central Railroad caboose, a general store, a recreated chapel, and a barn filled with antique vehicles and farm tools. Open: Saturday: 1 pm - 4 pm; or by appointment.
This is the preserved home of Reuben Moore and his wife Matilda, who was a daughter of Sarah Bush Lincoln and stepsister of Abraham Lincoln. The frame Moore Home dates back to the late 1850s.
Lincoln Log Cabin State Historic Site
The last home of Thomas and Sarah Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln's parents. It shares the site with the Sargent farm, an 1840's living history farm.
Dickson Mounds Museum
The premier on-site archaeological museum, located 45 miles southwest of Peoria, interprets the 12,000 year history of American Indian cultures in Illinois through artifacts, interpretive exhibits, major multi-image productions, hands-on activities and a variety of public events in a rural setting.
The Patton Cabin was built in June 1829 by John Patton, one of the area's first settlers. The cabin was constructed with the help of Native Americans who lived in the area.