Showing 1-24 of 48 items found in Outdoors & Play
Clinton Lake Marina
Services include boat rentals, beverages, bait, propane tank exchange, slip rentals and an on-site boat service department.
Allerton Park & Retreat Center
Allerton Park was the private estate of Robert Henry Allerton, who donated it to the University of Illinois in 1946. It features 1,500 acres of woodlands, formal gardens and more than 100 sculptures. The park is open to the public for hiking, picnicking, cross-country skiing and leisurely garden strolls.
Mabery Gelvin Botanical Garden
The gardens boast some of the most beautiful and diverse flora in east-central IL. It also features the award-winning Miriam Davies Memorial Enabling Garden.
Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve
Lake of the Woods County Park is a 900-acre preserve that features an 18-hole regulation golf course, a 9-hole par 3 course and practice range, fishing, boating, hiking, picnicking, cross-country skiing, sledding the Hi-Tower bell carillon and observation area, a 3.3 mile bicycle/pedestrian path, the Museum of the Grand Prairie, Mabery Gelvin Botanical Gardens, building rentals and various programs.
River Bend Forest Preserve
The 275-acre River Bend Forest Preserve south of Mahomet contains approximately 130 acres of clear water in two lakes, one of which is the largest public lake in Champaign County, and includes 2.5 miles of forest along the Sangamon River.
Outlaw Outfitters - Le Roy
One-hour guided horseback rides, hayrack and carriage rides for private rental, and barn dances are available. Open through March and October.
Heyworth Valley Parachute Club
Forsyth Bike and Walking Path
The path begins at Forsyth Village Hall and winds around Forsyth Pkwy.
Hickory Point Golf Course
Hickory Point is truly a course for both beginning and competitive golfers. The flat, wide fairways are perfect for learning, while long distances and the ever-present wind provide challenge for more experienced golfers. Hickory Point hosts the Tat $ Lyle Players Championship, the developmental tour of the LPGA. Designed by Roger Packard, the course opened in 1999, and is designed specifically for beginning and youth golfers. Hickory Point features a lighted driving range and special six-hole short course for beginning and youth golfers.
Sangamon River Forest Preserve
Sangamon River Forest Preserve, a 160-acre gem, offers a variety of natural features and is ideal for low-impact activities such as picnicking, bird-watching, hiking and river fishing. The preserve hosts the Lincoln Ash Tree, one of the largest ash trees in the state.
Woodlawn Country Club
This nine-hole walking course features plenty of trees, and water that comes into play on seven of the nine holes. A snack bar is available.
Lazy H Stables
One- and two-hour guided horseback rides by reservation only. Hayrack rides offered in fall. Open April 1 - October 1.
Twin Groves Wind Farm
Located on the wind-swept Bloomington Moraine in eastern McLean County, Twin Groves Wind Farm offers 396 megawatts of affordable, pollution-free wind energy, enough to meet the annual energy needs of about 118,000 homes. Learn more about this exciting new facility with a farm tour.
Clinton Lake State Recreation Area
Enjoy 9,300 acres of great outdoor picnicking, hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, swimming, boating, water skiing. Fall foliage, winter offers ice fishing, snowmobiling on frozen lake. 308 campsites, Private marina.
Anna Bethel Fisher Rock Garden
Created in 1927 from an old sand pit across the road from Lake Decatur, the city's oldest garden was extensively renovated in 1992. Its resurrected look features secluded paths leading through rocky terraces planted with unusual trees, and landscapes brimming with colorful perennials. Towering bald Cypress trees, planted in the 1920s, still reign over these delightful grounds.
Rock Springs Center for Environmental Discovery
Rock Springs Center is the largest park in the Macon County Conservation District properties with a total of 1,343 acres in the southwest area of Decatur, IL. The Sangamon River runs through Rock Springs and several small ponds dot the landscape. A wide range of terrain including forest, wetland, grassland, and restored Illinois prairie make Rock Springs a destination for nature lovers. Rock Springs is also home to a large nature center, a museum, a restored farmhouse, nearly nine miles of hiking trails, and a paved bike trail. Rock Springs is a favorite for families all year round. Rooms and pavilions are available for rent for meetings and events.
Mari-Mann Herb Farm
Spanning six rolling acres on bluffs overlooking the Sangamon River Walk, Mari-Mann Herb Farm is a potpourri of herb beds, wildflower fields and formal gardens.
Friends Creek Regional Park
36 sites with pads, 20 extended-stay sites, 22 regular sites, electrical hook-ups, modern restrooms and showers. Reservations required.
Cross Country Skiing at Rock Spring Center
Trails open whenever there is at least three inches of snow on the ground. Equipment rental available from 9am-2pm.
Decatur Civic Center Arena
Ice skating available during fall/winter months. Call ahead for exact dates. Admission to the ice arena is $6 and skate rentals are $2. During the spring/summer months, the arena is used as venue for shows and fairs.
Griswold Conservation Area
Located 14 miles southwest of Decatur off Route 48 near Blue Mound. Hike the trail up the glacial kame to the observation deck for sweeping view of the prairie. Picnic facilities and playground.
Decatur Gun Club
The origins and growth of the Decatur Gun Club parallel that of the clay target itself, and the games created to hone and test shotgun shooting skill. Shotgun sport shooting with live pigeons and later, glass balls existed in the U.S. from the early 1800's. But the first "clay pigeon" and "trap" to throw it were not developed until about 1880 by George Ligowsky. William Brett From Decatur was the second manufacturer of clay targets in the U.S., which he called the "Decatur Red Bird". Considered the oldest shotgun shooting sports club in Illinois, the Decatur Gun Club was founded soon after clay targets were invented. Chan Powers and Bert Hildebrandt were two of the mentors of the club, first located near East William Street Road and 22nd Street. In the early years, the club occupied sites in the Hess Park area, the Wyckles Corner area, the Macon County Fairgrounds, and an area west of the Fairgrounds before finding it's home of the past 61 years at the north end of Faries Park.
40 lanes, automatic scoring, ABC approved fluorescent lighting, seating for 200, free parking, restaurant and lounge.