Showing 1-24 of 54 items found in Outdoors & Play
We specialize in catering to campers with horses who want to enjoy trail riding on the many scenic trails in the Shawnee National Forest. Other campers, backpackers, hikers, bikers, and hunters are always welcome.
22 species of fish are found in this lake, including bass, white crappie, channel catfish, bullhead, yellow bass, bluegill, and carp. This 1,100-acre lake is surrounded by native oak and hickory forests. Picnicking, hiking, and limited hunting and trapping.
A 3,000 ft. wheelchair-accessible pathway at lake level and wood-chipped trails wind through forested areas. An elevated walkway spans the wetlands and two observation towers, a wildlife viewing blind, an outdoor amphitheater and classroom.
12 parks that offer diverse activities. Fishing, picnics, baseball diamonds, volleyball courts, hiking trails and playgrounds.
As a major stopping point for migrating ducks and geese, this 9,486-acre area offers excellent public waterfowl hunting opportunities.
The 1,683-acre site has a 75-acre lake where families can picnic, fish, paddle boat, camp and enjoy the good food at the on-site restaurant.
This natural area comprimises 532 acres of forest, prairie and flowering trees, with a trail and pond.
CITY:East St. Louis
Rustic setting available for retreats, picnics, camps, nature studies or a team course.
This 25-acre wildlife park, featuring remnants of the original tallgrass Illinois prairie, features a butterfly house.
5,800 acres vary from flat bottomlands to rolling forestlands. Fields throughout the site provide for 1,000 acres of planted food for wildlife. Game hunting for rabbit, quail and waterfowl is allowed. Fishing is available at 25 strip-pit lakes and ponds.
Recreation area includes group camping, walk-in camp sites, swimming, and picnicking facilities. Handicap accessible restrooms and fishing pier.
Picnic area, pond for fishing & ice skating with handicap accessible fishing pier, Gerald Strohecker natural area with native woodland, prairie and wetland.
One of the largest state-owned and managed sites in Illinois, located 35 miles southeast of St. Louis. The land and water area total more than 20,000 acres of river and bottomland. It contains 36 miles of river.
Environment Education Center - offers cross country skiing in the winter.
A 9.960-acre bottomland environment of sloughs and backwater lakes, Sanganois is managed primarily to provide a refuge for migratory waterfowl and a public duck hunting area.
Borders Spring Lake Park and is habitat for deer, turkey, fox, geese, beaver and coyotes. Trails and educational programs offered.
57-acre wetlands preserve features wildflower, birds, and wildlife, which may be viewed from an observation deck.
Fishing, boating, picnicking in the out-of-doors.
Hiking, picnicking, horseback riding and wildlife viewing. Hunting for upland game, fur-bearers and deer is encouraged on its 2,265 scenic acres that overlook the Mississippi River.
Beautiful. untouched nature preserve which way originally purchased by the Knobeloch family in 1874. After a family disagreement, the land was auctioned off to the nature conservancy and then sold to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources.
The largest of all the state forests in Illinois. Covers 7,100 acres of native oak-hickory forests and pine plantations. Supports diverse desert flora and fauna in its sandy landscape as well as also offering a variety of recreational facilities.
Ryerson Conservation Area is one of the best examples of a northern flatwoods forest, a rare northern Illinois landscape. The 552-acre Preserve supports some of Illinois' most pristine woodlands and several state-threatened and endangered species, and offers 6.5 miles of scenic trails that wind through a stately forest to the quiet Des Plaines River. The Welcome Center, opened in 2006, features "green" architecture and was designed using LEED standards. In addition to preserve information, it offers a nature library, exhibits and meeting rooms.
6-acre park donated to the village in 1891 by David McWilliams, the first banker and business person in the community. It is named after the Prince of Wales, Baron Renfrew, who visited the area while on a hunting expedition in 1860.