Showing 1-24 of 73 items
This beautiful 1.4 mile long piece of restored hand-laid brick road is a segment of 66 done in 1931 and placed over a concrete roadbed. Route 66 at its best.
Located on historic Route 66, this was originally a pharmacy built in the 1880’s. The soda fountain was added to the business in the 1950’s. Stop in for an old-fashioned treat or ice-cream. Doc’s is also open for lunch and dinner.
The Ariston Cafe was founded by Pete Adam, a Greek immigrant, in Carlinville, Illinois in 1924. The original cafe was located on Route 4, the predecessor of Historic Route 66. In 1929, the Cafe was relocated to Litchfield, Illinois and moved into its present location on Route 66 in 1935. Since 1966, Pete’s son Nick and wife, Deme, continue to offer the traditional service expected of a family-owned and operated restaurant. The cafe is believed to be one of the oldest restaurants on Route 66 and has been inducted into the Route 66 Hall of Fame and is placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
Designed to reflect the Route 66 era, the museum houses exhibits which focus on the roles the railroads, Route 66, businesses, agriculture, and the military have played in Litchfield's history.
This 260-acre site offers nature trails for visitors to explore wetlands, prairie openings, and sandstone bluffs and ledges. The preserve is home to more than 700 plants and 70 bird species, including bald eagles during the winter months.
Colonel William H. Fulkerson's mansion and farm museum contains many rare agricultural items and equipment with emphasis on large, rare farm steam traction engines, utilized for plowing the prairie, threshing the grain, and for powering early sawmills. The estate is 14-room Southern-style Victorian mansion that has remained virtually unchanged to this day. It was placed on the National Historic Register of Historic Places in 1998.
80-acre park, which includes a lake, community pavilion, playground equipment, camping area, and a small concert and/or performance area. Fishing is allowed at the lake.
Camping, fishing, and restaurant. Named for beavers whose dam-building formed the lake more than a century ago, the state park is not home to the industrious rodents today.
The Sky View Drive-In Theatre in Litchfield opened in the Spring of 1950 and has been in operation each season since then. We are a seasonal operation and run from the first or second weekend in April until the end of September. Open on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays only.
Plainview Vineyard grows 17 varieties of grapes as well as blackberries, pears, raspberries, and apples. It is an estate winery meaning the fruit that they grow goes into each bottle of wine. All products are hand crafted. Each process from fruit growth, harvest, fermentation, bottling and sale occurs at the vineyard. A commercial vineyard established in 1998, Plainview is located in a rural location between Carlinville, Il and Gillespie, Il in Macoupin County. Plainview Vineyard first commercial vineyard and winery established in Macoupin County. Our secluded locations give the visitor a quiet, relaxed, atmosphere. Amtrak trains arrive and depart Carlinville daily. Macoupin County Transit offers rides to and from Plainview Vineyard from Carlinville for just $5. Three free samples are offered at their winery. Plainview Vineyard has a State of Illinois shipper and distributor license.
Pick up fruits of the season from the roadside stand or head to the fields to pick your own strawberries, black raspberries or asparagus.
This 18-hole, par 71 course has water on 11 holes, many mature trees and several elevation changes.
This museum was established in 2003 to honor those individuals who have made significant contributions to the sport of gunspinning, made famous on the silver screen and television.
Lake Lou Yaeger, this 1400+ acre lake offers 45 miles of beautiful shoreline and several recreational opportunities. Visitors can enjoy boating, skiing, swimming, fishing, and camping. The 300 acre park has five picnic areas, two playgrounds, pavilions, grills, restrooms, and hiking trails. With miles of horse trails and a new equestrian campground with full hook-ups and shower house, Lake Lou is a great destination for horse enthusiasts. Milnot Beach has two diving platforms, showers, snack bar, and lifeguards on duty.
The 1898 Battle of Virden, the tragic result of local coal miners fighting for worker’s rights, is memorialized on the northeast side town square by a large bronze mural created by sculptor David Seagraves of Elizabeth, IL.
No fee for camping but campers must register with the Police Department. Boat motors with 5HP or less allowed. Fishing is allowed at the lake. No swimming.
Apples, peaches, strawberries, jam and a country store. Pick your own pumpkins, apples, peaches and strawberries. Special events in September and August. Our goal is to provide top-quality fruit that is freshly picked, along with a family atmosphere. We invite you and your family to come and experience our Festivals and Farm Market where your business is always appreciated!
Home of the first Litchfield Chautauqua, with speakers such as William Jennings Bryan and Carrie Nation in 1905. Beautiful lake, playground and picnic areas.
This historic train depot features a preserved facade and a renovated interior that houses specialty shops.
Mary Michelle has 60 acres of vineyards adjacent to the winery and grows most of the grapes that it uses for its wines. This Winery sells only through stores and restaurants. Mary Michelle’s winemaker is the award-winning Lucian Dressel, a fifth generation Greene County resident by way of Boston, New York, Augusta, Mo., and Davis, Ca. In 2003, inspired by the vision of the founders of Mary Michelle, Dressel returned to the Midwest to help make a contribution to the fulfillment of this dream.
Built in 1893, this historic masonry courthouse sits at the center of town and serves as the hub of activity for the entire county. The courthouse is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tours of the courthouse are available for groups with reservations. Hours: Monday - Thursday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday, 8 a.m. to noon