Showing 1-24 of 45 items
Flewellin Memorial Library
Aside from offering patrons an impressive collection of books, audio books, DVDs, and magazines the library also provides copy and fax machines, public use computers, and educational programs.
DeKalb Public Library
The DeKalb Public Library is open 7 days a week to serve our community. The library has over 150,000 items including books, DVDs, compact discs, audio books, and subscriptions to over 300 periodicals. During the 2010-2011 fiscal year, customers checked out 455,192 items.
Sycamore Public Library
Although the Sycamore Public Library did not open its doors until 1892, we can trace its roots back to 1875 when a Chautauqua Scientific Circle was formed in Sycamore. Once members had completed the course, they established the Athena Literary Society in order to form a public library. Over the course of three years they raised $700 and asked city council to appropriate money for books and that the mayor appoint a board of directors. On July 12, 1892, the Sycamore Public Library opened in Hoyt and Rogers’ Store, second floor, in the backroom. This building now is occupied by Marlyn’s Majorettes. The City Council appropriated $800 to purchase books. The Athena Literary Society assisted with funding the library for the first two years. Miss Flora Jeannette Dow, a member of Athena, was the first librarian. In 1902, Andrew Carnegie offered the City of Sycamore $10,000 for the construction of a library, provided an acceptable site could be secured and that the Sycamore City Council would annually appropriate at least 10% of his donation for maintaining the building. Mr. Frederick B. Townsend donated the property where the library stands today. Miss Dow received the honor of placing the first trowel of mortar on the cornerstone on May 24, 1905. Over the next 90 years, several renovation and remodeling projects took place and then on October 14, 1995, a new era of growth began with the groundbreaking ceremony for the library expansion. Today we are looking at ways to serve the community’s needs by providing the best possible services and programs available.
Atlanta Public Library
Built in 1908, this National Register Property is one of Illinois’ few octagonal-shaped public libraries. Its gilded rotunda and interior rooms, filled with solid-oak woodwork, reflect its classic architecture. Local volunteers who comprise the “Keepers of the Clock” take turns on a weekly basis hand-winding the 1909 Seth Thomas clock housed in the library’s clock tower.
Museum of the Matteson Hisotrical Society
History and artifacts of the Matteson area; obituaries, maps, oral histories, library of antique books and newspaper clippings.
McCoy House Memorial Library
This majestic four-story Victorian home, built in 1884 by banker A.G. Cloud, sits next to the old bank of similar architectural style. The house is now a memorial library and museum decorated with beautiful furnishings and paintings.
Chicago Public Library - Harold Washington Library Center
The Chicago Public Library's Harold Washington Library Center, the world's largest municipal library building, offers books, periodicals, newspapers, and information in over 100 languages, programs for children and adults, and free access to the internet.
Decatur Public Library
Books (of course), videos, dvds, cds, local history room, computers, classes, art gallery, kids place
Herrin City Library
Herrin City Library is your community connection to print, video, audio, and online information around the world. Featuring the Herrin History Room, a growing collection of archival information about the City of Herrin and the Williamson County area. We also have some genealogical information about Herrin families. We have city directories and yearbooks for the Herrin Schools. We do have a large collection of Herrin newspapers on microfilm from the 1800s to about 1945.
Genealogical Research Library
Research early history, marriages, cemetery and census records, and family books, all pertaining to Ogle County.
Pioneer Sholes School
Restored, One-room schoolhouse serves as living museum. Open June to early September. Groups welcome by appointment. They actually sit at desks in the one room schoolhouse while a docent explains how teaching was done in 1872. They also participate in playing the games the students played during their recess periods.
Carnegie Schuyler Library
A full-service library, the Carnegie still contains the original furniture, interior decor and double stairway that was designed and built in 1913 from funds donated by Andrew Carnegie.
Lincoln Public Library
A Carnegie library, built in 1902, the Lincoln Public Library is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Illinois Central College
Offers a variety of speakers specializing in a diverse field of topics for nonprofit organizations. Campus tours available. Professional Development Institute offers seminars and workshops in the areas of computers, health, management and special interests (can be customized).
Edgar County Genealogical Library
Trace your Edgar County roots at this library that has genealogical tools, manuscripts, books, filmed records, micro-fiche, and computerized data based on Edgar County families.
Books & Crooks
This library is located in the town's old jailhouse, and still features the original cells. Feel free to take a book and curl up in your favorite cell.
Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature
The largest African American history and literature collection in the Midwest, the Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature contains a wealth of precious documentation of the black experience. The collection places a strong focus on African American history in Illinois.
Clark County Genealogical Library
You'll find census records, newspaper clippings, birth and marriage records, and other files of interest helpful to geneological research.
The Newberry Library is an independent library free and open to the public for research and reference in the humanities. The library offers a vast array of lectures, seminars, concerts and exhibits related to its collections.
Three galleries on the Millikin University Campus feature changing one-artist exhibits during the academic year. The Perkinson Gallery hosts a wide range of exhibitions that focus on work by professional artists from Illinois and the Midwest, in addition to work by artists with national recognition. The gallery has 2,000 square feet of floor space, with 132 linear feet of wall space. Patrons may view the displayed work for free, Monday through Friday from noon to 5 pm. The Lower Gallery focuses on photographic works. Student artists display their works in the Studio Gallery. The Lower and Studio Galleries are open Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm Free admission.
Marion Carnegie Library
One of the few remaining Carnegie buildings is seated at the center of Williamson County. Originally built in 1916 and renovated in 1997, the library has the flavor of the early 20th century with the technology of today.
Princeton Public Library
Princeton's Library contains an outstanding collection of Bureau County genalogical referencematerial including history books, census and cemetery records, indexed newspaper, city directories, atlases, and family histories. New location and building at 698 East Peru Street.
Prairie Creek Library
The library was originally built in 1896 as a carriage house, and later transformed into a treatment and recreation building for the Keeley Institute, a well-known alcohol rehab center in the late 1800s.
Eastern Illinois University
This campus consists of 316 acres. German Gothic architecture of Old Main towers above the campus.