Showing 1-44 of 44 items
Stroll downtown Springfield and check out shops that carry everything from Lincoln souvenirs to one-of-a-kind jewelry and fresh-made fudge. Downtown is also host to many events and festivals throughout the year.
Cairo Public Library
Museum quality working library of Queen Anne, Architecture on two floors built in 1884.
Vermilion County War Museum
The Vermilion County War Museum, housed in a former Carnegie Library, contains over 25,000 artifacts and memorabilia ranging from the Revolutionary War to Operation Iraqi Freedom. The museum enjoys a steady stream of both U.S. and foreign visitors who appreciate the ever-increasing collections of artifacts and research materials.
University of Illinois Library
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is the proud home of one of the largest and richest public research library collections in North America. Their 24 million items, the vast majority of which are paper and book-based, include Medieval manuscripts, large collections of incunabula and early printed books, literary manuscripts, maps and atlases, prints, and all sizes and types of printed books and other paper objects. The University Library is committed to sustaining and enhancing its capacity to treat and protect its important paper-based collections, with the majority of conservation and preservation-related investments focused on the care of its rare, unique, and otherwise valuable objects.
Albion Public Library
Established in 1819, the oldest public library in Illinois houses many original books brought here by English settlers.
This university boasts a beautiful quad, and features the Schingoethe Center and Dunham Gallery of student art.
Hayner Genealogy & Local History Library
The Hayner Public Library District provides a variety of genealogy-related services to support research efforts. Information from various states in addition to Illinois and other countries is available. The digitized newspaper collection is a wonderful resource of The Hayner Public Library District for genealogy research. The collection includes the Alton Telegraph Archives dating as far back as 1836 and access NEWSPAPER ARCHIVE to locate newspaper articles in other parts of the country.
Harold Washington Library Center
The creation of Harold Washington Library Center is a product of a widely publicized architectural competition. Designed by Tom Beeby, the red brick, granite, and glass composition uses traditional design motifs to establish itself as a civic structure. A two-story battered granite base supports a five-story brick body punctuated by five arches along State Street and three facing Congress and Van Buren. The Harold Washington Library Center is a hybrid design that reflects the conflicting architectural ideas that characterized the late 1980s.
Stinson Memorial Library
The library was named for Civil War veteran Robert B. Stinson, who left his estate for the establishment of a library. The building was the work of Walter B. Griffin, who designed it in a Frank Lloyd Wright style.
Bradley University is an independent, privately endowed, coeducational institution. With an enrollment of approximately 6,000 students, Bradley University is the ideal size for living and learning. The University offers a full range of baccalaureate and graduate level programs as well as personal attention, from a faculty dedicated to student learning.
Winnetka Historical Museum
The growth and history of Winnetka since 1830 is chronicled in this museum, which includes the Carlton Washburne Library.
Lawrence Memorial Library/Mata Simpson Resource Center
In 1905 Frank Lloyd Wright designed the interior of this school library which has been restore to its original luster.
Vespasian Warner Public Library
Research materials of the DeWitt County Genealogical Society are housed here, as well as revolving exhibits of the Lincoln Heritage committee of DeWitt County. Historical programs and presentations occur throughout the year.
Founded in 1855 by abolitionists, this historic and scenic campus boasts buildings on the historic register, including the Reagan Peace Garden and Museum.
Mary Smith Fay Genealogy Library
Located in downtown Carmi, this extensive library and museum offers history and research services.
Andrew Carnegie Library - The Arcola Public Library
An original Andrew Carnegie built in 1905. The library boasts all of its original classic revival architecture and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Carnegie Public Library
This historic 1904 building houses one of the most complete genealogy departments in the area.
Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature
The largest African American history and literature collection in the Midwest, the Vivian G. Harsh Research Collection of Afro-American History and Literature contains a wealth of precious documentation of the black experience. The collection places a strong focus on African American history in Illinois.
Illinois Central College
Offers a variety of speakers specializing in a diverse field of topics for nonprofit organizations. Campus tours available. Professional Development Institute offers seminars and workshops in the areas of computers, health, management and special interests (can be customized).
Skokie Public Library
A leading institution of the Village of Skokie and a staple of downtown Skokie, the library is truly a center for the community with more than 450,000 items available for check-out, three community meeting rooms and hundreds of events and classes offered each month. The library offers the latest in cutting edge technology with library resources available 24 hours a day via their website, plenty of computers available for internet access and research and a wireless network on the 2nd floor.
Princeton Public Library
Princeton's Library contains an outstanding collection of Bureau County genalogical referencematerial including history books, census and cemetery records, indexed newspaper, city directories, atlases, and family histories. New location and building at 698 East Peru Street.
Marion Carnegie Library
One of the few remaining Carnegie buildings is seated at the center of Williamson County. Originally built in 1916 and renovated in 1997, the library has the flavor of the early 20th century with the technology of today.
Joliet Public Library
Barrington Area Library
This full-service library presents a variety of arts events throughout the year.
Decatur Public Library Art Gallery
The Second Floor Gallery, in partnership with Gallery 510, showcases local and regional artwork year-round. Frequently local and national traveling exhibits are displayed. In conjunction with the featured exhibits, the library presents topic-specific programs and events. The gallery is open Monday-Thursday 9am-9pm; Friday-Saturday: 9am-5:30pm; Sunday: 1pm-5pm (Sept-May). Admission to the gallery is free and the public is welcome to all programs and events.
Eastern Illinois University
This campus consists of 316 acres. German Gothic architecture of Old Main towers above the campus.
The Newberry Library is an independent library free and open to the public for research and reference in the humanities. The library offers a vast array of lectures, seminars, concerts and exhibits related to its collections.
Clark County Genealogical Library
You'll find census records, newspaper clippings, birth and marriage records, and other files of interest helpful to geneological research.
Prairie Creek Library
The library was originally built in 1896 as a carriage house, and later transformed into a treatment and recreation building for the Keeley Institute, a well-known alcohol rehab center in the late 1800s.
Three galleries on the Millikin University Campus feature changing one-artist exhibits during the academic year. The Perkinson Gallery hosts a wide range of exhibitions that focus on work by professional artists from Illinois and the Midwest, in addition to work by artists with national recognition. The gallery has 2,000 square feet of floor space, with 132 linear feet of wall space. Patrons may view the displayed work for free, Monday through Friday from noon to 5 pm. The Lower Gallery focuses on photographic works. Student artists display their works in the Studio Gallery. The Lower and Studio Galleries are open Monday-Friday from 8 am to 5 pm and Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm Free admission.
Genealogical Research Library
Research early history, marriages, cemetery and census records, and family books, all pertaining to Ogle County.
Carnegie Schuyler Library
A full-service library, the Carnegie still contains the original furniture, interior decor and double stairway that was designed and built in 1913 from funds donated by Andrew Carnegie.
McCoy House Memorial Library
This majestic four-story Victorian home, built in 1884 by banker A.G. Cloud, sits next to the old bank of similar architectural style. The house is now a memorial library and museum decorated with beautiful furnishings and paintings.
Edgar County Genealogical Library
Trace your Edgar County roots at this library that has genealogical tools, manuscripts, books, filmed records, micro-fiche, and computerized data based on Edgar County families.
Herrin City Library
Herrin City Library is your community connection to print, video, audio, and online information around the world. Featuring the Herrin History Room, a growing collection of archival information about the City of Herrin and the Williamson County area. We also have some genealogical information about Herrin families. We have city directories and yearbooks for the Herrin Schools. We do have a large collection of Herrin newspapers on microfilm from the 1800s to about 1945.
Books & Crooks
This library is located in the town's old jailhouse, and still features the original cells. Feel free to take a book and curl up in your favorite cell.
Chicago Public Library - Harold Washington Library Center
The Chicago Public Library's Harold Washington Library Center, the world's largest municipal library building, offers books, periodicals, newspapers, and information in over 100 languages, programs for children and adults, and free access to the internet.
Pioneer Sholes School
Restored, One-room schoolhouse serves as living museum. Open June to early September. Groups welcome by appointment. They actually sit at desks in the one room schoolhouse while a docent explains how teaching was done in 1872. They also participate in playing the games the students played during their recess periods.
Lincoln Public Library
A Carnegie library, built in 1902, the Lincoln Public Library is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Decatur Public Library
Books (of course), videos, dvds, cds, local history room, computers, classes, art gallery, kids place
Atlanta Public Library
Built in 1908, this National Register Property is one of Illinois’ few octagonal-shaped public libraries. Its gilded rotunda and interior rooms, filled with solid-oak woodwork, reflect its classic architecture. Local volunteers who comprise the “Keepers of the Clock” take turns on a weekly basis hand-winding the 1909 Seth Thomas clock housed in the library’s clock tower.
Museum of the Matteson Hisotrical Society
History and artifacts of the Matteson area; obituaries, maps, oral histories, library of antique books and newspaper clippings.
Sycamore Public Library
Although the Sycamore Public Library did not open its doors until 1892, we can trace its roots back to 1875 when a Chautauqua Scientific Circle was formed in Sycamore. Once members had completed the course, they established the Athena Literary Society in order to form a public library. Over the course of three years they raised $700 and asked city council to appropriate money for books and that the mayor appoint a board of directors. On July 12, 1892, the Sycamore Public Library opened in Hoyt and Rogers’ Store, second floor, in the backroom. This building now is occupied by Marlyn’s Majorettes. The City Council appropriated $800 to purchase books. The Athena Literary Society assisted with funding the library for the first two years. Miss Flora Jeannette Dow, a member of Athena, was the first librarian. In 1902, Andrew Carnegie offered the City of Sycamore $10,000 for the construction of a library, provided an acceptable site could be secured and that the Sycamore City Council would annually appropriate at least 10% of his donation for maintaining the building. Mr. Frederick B. Townsend donated the property where the library stands today. Miss Dow received the honor of placing the first trowel of mortar on the cornerstone on May 24, 1905. Over the next 90 years, several renovation and remodeling projects took place and then on October 14, 1995, a new era of growth began with the groundbreaking ceremony for the library expansion. Today we are looking at ways to serve the community’s needs by providing the best possible services and programs available.
Flewellin Memorial Library
Aside from offering patrons an impressive collection of books, audio books, DVDs, and magazines the library also provides copy and fax machines, public use computers, and educational programs.