The Old State Capitol is a reconstruction of Illinois’ fifth statehouse. The building served as a seat of government and a center of Illinois political life from 1839-1876 and featured prominently in the lives of President Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas.
Lincoln delivered his “House Divided” speech in Representative Hall, and use the governor’s rooms as a headquarters during the 1860 presidential campaign. The building was the scene of the assassinated President’s final laying-in-state on May 3-4, 1865.
Parking information: A paid parking garage is located underneath the Old State Capitol Plaza; entrance is on Sixth Street between Adams and Washington.