The station, a prized landmark, has been carefully restored by the Village. An established stop for the Burlington Railroad prior to the establishment of Riverside, the station was an integral part of the General Plan of Riverside. Prominent architect William LeBaron Jenney designed an earlier depot in 1871 which was destroyed by fire.
The present depot was constructed from plans prepared by Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad architects and is representative of early 20th Century railroad depot architecture. The main depot is of red brick construction with open covered extensions and a hipped roof with broad, flaring eaves and coffered soffits, copper gutters, and red tile. A covered walkway is supported by a central row of bracketed posts connecting the east and west brick pavilions.
In 2017 the Picturing Riverside Exhibit was installed in coordination with the Illinois Institute of Technology College of Architecture.