Constructed in 1846, The Old Market House was the focal point of community life. This building sheltered vendors and shoppers who gathered in the heart of Galena city’s business district until 1910. Ownership of the building was transferred to the State of Illinois in 1947 and the Old Market House was restored in 1955. Today the Old Market House State Historic Site is managed by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency and is the scene of many changing exhibits, meetings and special events. The building houses a U.S Grant Exhibition with several Grant artifacts.