The Boone County Historical Society was organized in 1937 and met for many years in members homes. Lacking a facility for a museum, they collected artifacts and stored them in various locations. In 1965, the Society purchased the Gas & Electric building on Whitney Boulevard for a museum. On May 30, 1968, the ribbon cutting ceremony was held and the Boone County Historical Museum was open to visitors! The museum continued to grow over the yeas and in 2012, the museum underwent a big expansion to combine the museum with the old Blackhawk Bank, which was purchased in 2007. On December 6, 2013, the ribbon cutting was held and the museum reopened complete with the beautiful Grand Gallery! The Museum is incorporated as a non-profit organization with membership open to every citizen who has an interest in Boone County history.