The painting vividly portrays an image of Mokena’s first auto garage in the early days of the Lincoln Highway and a vintage tractor. The building featured is the The Cooper and Hostert Garage, owned by brothers-in-law Barney Hostert and Elmer Cooper. Mokena was a rural farming community at that time, so beyond selling gasoline and repairing motor vehicles, the garage also sold cars, trucks, and tractors. The Cooper and Hostert Garage became the first Ford Agency in the area, with Henry Ford personally signing their dealership contract. Opening in 1916, they remained in business until the early 1970s.
For more information about the Illinois Lincoln Highway and the surrounding area, please visit the Chicago Southland CVB atwww.VisitChicagoSouthland.com. And be sure to visit www.muralsofthelincolnhighway.com for additional information about the other murals along the Illinois Lincoln Highway.