The structure is 150 feet tall and overlooks the Mississippi River. The temple was reconstructed in 2002 on the site of the original temple that was built from 1841-1846 but mostly destroyed by arson after the Mormons left Nauvoo. Sacred ordinances such as marriage for eternity are performed for devout members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Nauvoo Temple. The building is not open to the public at any time. Travelers may stroll the grounds when the gates are open, observing beautiful gardens and temple architecture. Those wishing to learn more about the history of the temple, its construction and its purpose today should visit the Historic Nauvoo Visitors’ Center.