The Flora B&O Depot has been an important part of the town’s history. In 1872, the first depot was built. This building was built from the liberal subscriptions of local citizens. It served the City of Flora until 1916, when it was destroyed by fire. In 1916-1917, a new three-story brick depot was built. This building was a huge part of the economic life of the community during those early years. In the 1920’s, the railroad employed half the wage earners in Flora. In 1924, three hundred employees worked at the local station. When the depot was completed in 1917, it contained three floors. The main floor was used for passengers. It had a large waiting room with a baggage room and restrooms. The Western Union office, yard office, mailroom and ticket office were also located on this floor.