Fort Massac State Park is Illinois' first State Park. In 1757, French soldiers built a wooden fort at the southern tip of Illinois
Bordering the Ohio River. This wooden fort would later be called Fort Massac, named after the French minister of Colonial Affairs, M. de Massiac. Fort Massac was added to the National Register of Historic Places and in 1908 the fort was dedicated as Illinois' first state park. Fort Massac Tourist Information Center is located at the entrance of Shawnee National Forest. This center is also located on the Ohio Scenic Byway.